+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had an emergency c-section and they emptied my bag twice so I think having one is a must.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had 2 emerg csections and both times I didnt even know it was there, they put it in when numb, you risk bladder infection without it as you cant feel the need to go. Also I had a saline drip so my bag was emptied a lot. They take it out within 24hrs and then you wish it was still there as the pain to get out of bed to wee is annoying, I was very thirsty from the drugs so had to get up a lot, and one stage I contemplated wetting the bed so I didnt have to get up again

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    From the research I have done it says that while doctors strongly advise having a catheter, that you can still refuse it. I'm just unsure what happens when you don't have one? Like, does your bladder fill up and explode, or does it know to relieve itself? Is there an alternative method to using a catheter?
    There has to be an alternative!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The complications of not having a catheter are urinary retention as you have no feeling down there, your bladder will retain urine. It wont explode but if it stretches too much it may damage the muscles of the bladder that need to contract to urinate. Thus you may get chronic urinary retention and even need to self catheterise to urinate at all. The other main complication is kidney infection which is very nasty. Why are you worried about having one?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 4underfour For This Useful Post:

MagicMud  (19-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh, as far as alternatives, you could ask for an 'in out' catheter where they just pop a tube in, drain the urine then take it out again. But it's still a tube 'up there'.
    There is no other alternative really, personally I wouldn't take the risk as your bladder can fill up fast, especially if you are on a drip, and you don't want those complications.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't have a c-sect, but I had an epidural with number 2. I have a phobia of catheters due to a traumatic experience as a child, they numbed me up first then I was allowed to knock myself out with gas while they catheterized me. That helped, perhaps an option?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MissPoss For This Useful Post:

Cromo  (20-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was totally freaked out with getting the catheter with dd and with dd2 both times I had no idea they were doing it the screen was up and my spinal had already taken effect. Maybe an option is to request the screen up so your not aware of it and let them known you don't want to know what's happening when it's happening.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I had mine after the spinal block and didn't feel it at all.
    Same here!

After 40 weeks of having to get up every hour or so and go wee, it was great not to have to get up. I actually missed it when they took it out (i must be weird)!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to baby4us For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (19-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    Why are you worried about having one?
    I have extreme privacy issues (or in lay terms, 'batsh!t crazy'). I'm not remotely comfortable with any part of birth, nor many parts of pregnancy, but barring surrogacy/adoption, there's really no getting around it. I don't want to adopt, and I haven't had any luck finding a surrogate. My husband desperately wants a child and I'm desperately close to losing my damn mind altogether. Sooooo, my last ditch effort is to hunt down every alternative method to everything that I can, so that at least having my own biological child might be a possibility.
    *deep breath* That's the incredibly short version, anyway.

I know there's alternatives to anything, nothing is black and white. The tricky part is finding the right information. It's statistically impossible that I'm the only person on the planet in this situation. Although, it's apparent that those people haven't read this thread!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Haha sorry I Lol'd at you being 'bat**t' crazy!

I think there will be some way you can get around it. At the worst they could do a supra pubic catheter which is a needle through your abdomen into the bladder. They might even be able to do one when you are opened up! But as you have severe psych issues with 'down there' stuff I think they will try their best to help.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 4underfour For This Useful Post:

zacharysmum  (07-10-2012)