+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Portion sizes for 10/11 month old?

Hi, I have a 10, almost eleven month old daughter, and am struggling to work out the appropriate portion sizes for her meals and snacks? At the moment she still has 4 210ml bottles( we already tried cutting one out but she wasn't quite there yet I think she almost is but an not forcing it) she has 3 solid meals breakfast is usually 1 vita brits and about 1/4 cup of fruit , lunch is either soup of some kind about 1/2 a cup or 1 scrambled egg and half a piece of toast but she only ever eats half of that, and dinner is usually whatever we are having and also about 1/2 a cup. Her snacks are a tub of yogurt, some rice puffs and rice crackers and sometimes cheese ( when I can get her to eat it ) she only has about 1 to 2 crackers a day and a hand full of puffs she eats about 1 and a half hours after every bottle and snacks about 30 min before nap time. Please any help would be much appreciated.

This is the amount she eats on a good day on a bad day about 1/2 that amount and usually no snacks apart from yogurt ( she loves the stuff)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It sounds like she is doing fine! I just always offered what I thought he would eat and if he ate it all I always just offered more, and if he didnt eat it all ( which they do sometimes!) i just kept offering

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My dd is nearly 10 months and she eats the following in a usual day:

Breakfast - pureed fruit & vanilla yoghurt with baby porridge flakes mixed in - about 1/4 - 1/2 cup in total
    Lunch - 1/2 vegemite sandwich, or a slice of toast with marjarine + 2 Baby Mum Mum rice rusks
    Dinner - finger food vegies (broccoli, carrot sticks (cooked), beans, etc - whatever we're eating), pureed/lightly mashed vegies (either what we are having but pureed, or tinned/jar stuff), meat of some kind (maybe 3 - 4 nights a week, sometimes more). Often also has some baby custard or yoghurt or pureed fruit. She's a big dinner eater, so probably has a cup of dinner in total, sometimes more.

I need to work on lunch being better ... I'm a little uninspired right now with lunch ... and breakfast is still hit & miss as I struggle to fit it around kinder drop off and sometimes she's just not hungry (depending on the timing & frequency of overnight feeds).

Sounds like you are doing well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mim1 View Post
    My dd is nearly 10 months and she eats the following in a usual day:

Breakfast - pureed fruit & vanilla yoghurt with baby porridge flakes mixed in - about 1/4 - 1/2 cup in total
    Lunch - 1/2 vegemite sandwich, or a slice of toast with marjarine + 2 Baby Mum Mum rice rusks
    Dinner - finger food vegies (broccoli, carrot sticks (cooked), beans, etc - whatever we're eating), pureed/lightly mashed vegies (either what we are having but pureed, or tinned/jar stuff), meat of some kind (maybe 3 - 4 nights a week, sometimes more). Often also has some baby custard or yoghurt or pureed fruit. She's a big dinner eater, so probably has a cup of dinner in total, sometimes more.

I need to work on lunch being better ... I'm a little uninspired right now with lunch ... and breakfast is still hit & miss as I struggle to fit it around kinder drop off and sometimes she's just not hungry (depending on the timing & frequency of overnight feeds).

Sounds like you are doing well.
    Thanks so much for all the info, there is sooo much info out there on starting solids but nothing really on how to progress till your baby is a toddler and solids come first? Thanks again I am glad to know I am on the right track! Just wondering also how many milk feeds your dd is having a day? Mine is still on 4 and not sure if I need to force it down to 3?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You sound like your doing well. I wouldnt be concerned about reducing the numberbof bottles. That will happen naturally as she starts eating more solids.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

6. The Following User Says Thank You to peanuthead For This Useful Post:

giggle berry  (19-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think you're worrying needlessly you sound like you're doing well! I never worried about portion sizes, both my pediatrician and GP advised me to just let my DD guide me. Offer up food, if she eats it all and wants more, go for it. On the flip side if she doesn't want to eat, don't force her. They know how much they want/need, and their eating patterns are going to change so much over the next year (growth spurts, illnesses etc)... My very conservative Asian grandmother always gives me grief for letting DD eat as much as she wants (she's a good eater and STILL loves her milk at 21 mths) for fear of getting her "fat", but DD is no bigger than other kids her age, she's happy, she's energetic, so I'm not worried. I spent my time worrying about giving her a healthy, balanced diet, not so much about portion control.

As for number of bottles, you'll find she'll drop a bottle or two as she starts to want more solids, or as life gets more interesting. My DD was still doing 3 bottles during the day AND a night feed at 12 months.

You're doing well, try not to fret!