+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Unique situation - Advice please!

My husband and I are currently living overseas and will be for at least the next 12 months. We've just seriously started talking about ttc, and have decided on January 2013 as our starting point. We don't want to be still overseas when bub is due and ideally I would like to be back in Aus come the 6 month mark. Don't really want to travel for 24 hours being heavily pregnant.
    We have health insurance here, and it will cover all obstetrician appointments, ultrasounds and everything else that goes with pregnancy and doctors appointments. It will also cover birth but we both really want to have our baby in Australia where our families and hearts are.
    My dilemma is that we cannot pay for private health insurance once we get back to Australia because of the waiting periods (some take 12 months, others take 9, I don't know enough about it to know if there is one that doesn't have a waiting period)??? And we don't want to have to start paying for insurance in Aus now, because that's stupid. So our only option is to take advantage of the health insurance here while we have it, come back to Aus eventually and then give birth within the public health system. I'm not overly thrilled about this but really don't have a choice. But then in saying that, I don't really know too much about the public health system in terms of birth and pregnancy. our other option is to wait until we get home in 12 months time before even thinking about ttc... but that isn't really an option.

Any advice lovely bubhub-ers?? info on the public health system? private health insurance without waiting periods?

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Can I ask why you can't wait to conceive? It's just what happens of you have a High risk pregnancy (twins, placenta previa etc) and can't travel at 6 months?

I wouldn't panic about going public. I went private, loved my doctor and having my own room. But I was $7,000 out of pocket! It's a crock! Where I live the public system is pretty good. I don't want to share a room for bub nr 2 but I seriously can
    Not bring myself to pay $7,000 again.

I'd research the public v private system where you plan on returning to. The public system is mostly good, but there may be a few pockets o poor areas (that's what I've gathered from reading past stories on bubhub).

Also, I've never heard of any health insurance company that does not have waiting times for pregnancy/Birth of 9+ months.
    Last edited by VicPark; 17-07-2012 at 19:52.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I went o/s I put my insurance on hold. If you do that does it count towards waiting periods? I would suspect not - that you need to be a financial member - but it's worth asking them. MBP are pretty good but whatever they or any other insurer say get it in writing.

Alternative is to consider self insuring for yourself - paying all your fees direct to providers and hospital by starting your own self insurance fund now - a lot of people do this. It would require some phone calls to your hospital and doctors. Factor in theatre fees and anaesthetist if a c/s is required. This option can backfire if you or bubs need high dependency care in ICU or SCBU/NICU though in which case you may be transferred to a public facility.

Other option is intermediate care in a public hospital with a doctor of your choice but I think you need to be in a fund for this option and if so the waiting periods will probably apply.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the reply!
    you have created a few more questions for me I'm more than happy to wait for ttc if there are going to be complications with travelling... from what i've read it's not too bad but i suppose it depends on the pregnancy. I'm not in a massive rush, I just like having a plan and we're just ready for the next step. as I said, January 2013 is the earliest point. Once that point comes we will reassess what our options are and whether we need to wait a bit longer or not. I'm not going to do anything if travelling while pregnant is a super bad idea...??
    And as I said, I don't know much about the private health insurance system but I figured there wouldn't be any providers that didn't have a waiting period.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had top cover PHI and opted to go public with no regrets! I have since lowered my cover. You only need PHI if you want OB care but my preference was for midwifery care.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and although I went private for both, the midwives were excellent. DD2 was delivered by one (and she went home with a big smile on her face - they don't get to catch babies that often in the private sector). Most public hospitals offer share care with your GP and you book into the midwife clinic later in the pregnancy - about when you propose to return to Australia I would think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No private health fund has no waiting periods unfortunately. Also a thought, some women have morning sickness/nausea throughout their pregnancies, or back pain, so you'd want to make sure you're comfortable getting on a plane if you do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies! You've all been so helpful!

I've got some more questions... sorry to be a pain!
    If I was to wait until going back to Aus before ttc (also, we would probably stay longer here if I weren't pregnant meaning we wouldn't come back until maybe October-December 2013), that would mean an extra 9 month+ wait if I was to opt for PHI, but if we chose public, how would that affect Ob appts and so on? Would we have to pay for these ourselves? I really am quite naive when it comes to the health system hence all the questions.
    Also, waiting till December next year before ttc just seems like a LOONNGGG time to wait. I'll be 26 then, which isn't old but not ideal for me. And I don't know if I would potentially put it off because I "might" be sick or have backpain...
    too many things to consider

Thanks
    Reviews
    Actually you have to pay for ob appointments if you have PHI.

I'm going public and haven't paid a thing (not for scans, blood work, glucose test, doctors appointments). The only down side is you get whatever doctor/ob/midwife (depending on area, availability, and risk assessment) is on at the time. I think it is a fair trade off, but some people do like having the same doctor through out their pregnancy and delivery.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know this is an older thread but for someone who had no idea about what PHI covered even after taking it out I found this site very helpful, its not my PHI provider but its a good and thorough table of expenses.

http://www.nib.com.au/home/Pages/The...a_baby.aspx#22

Remember major cities tend to be more expensive so factor in the higher end of estimates. You have to pay for all OB fees out of pocket but medicare covers a small part (very small!). Also after enquiring the waiting period is not 12 or 9 months until falling pregnant its until the due date, even if the bub is premmie as long as the OB writes a letter stating the gestational due date is past the waiting period your covered! Also some funds with pre-natal lessons only are covered by 'extras' cover under physio and isn't covered is held by a midwife.

I hope this helps!