+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Just to clarify for any first time mothers reading this, most people forget the pain and difficulty very quickly, if we didn't then there would only be one child families everywhere. But do leave your dignity at the hospital door, feel free to pick it up on your way out, after drs and nurses poke and prod at your bits. Birthing the placenta was a shock to me then they put pain medication up my bum without telling me yuk. It's all worth it in the end.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ellyjan10 For This Useful Post:

Nettle  (20-07-2012),steffy89  (18-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    When waters break ( mine wasn't a huge gush or anything) every time you get a contraction more keeps coming out. Not real eligant when the nurse is examining you he he he. Feels like your peeing yourself and you can't stop it.

Sent from my Nexus S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    Let me think...

-that breast feeding isn't as easy as they make it out to be in movies..takes a lot of time and effort to get baby to latch on, especially in the early days

-how painful your boobs get in the first few days after birth while waiting for your milk to come in...omg mine were like rocks!!!

-how weird and jelly like your tummy feels after bub is born (and for me this was after a c-section..assuming it's the same for people who have a natural birth)

-dignity is out the window once you have a child...from nurses checking and changing my bloody pads, having a nurse give me a sponge bath (I wasn't allowed out of bed until day 3 due to a PPH and needing several blood transfusions) and midwives grabbing my boobs and nipples to help get DS to latch on..I didn't care in the end but I was trying to cling to my last shred of dignity at first.

-that it really hurts getting up for the first time after a c-section. I think this may have been because I had to stay in bed longer than normal though. But for me this was absolute agony, and I cried.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to summastarlet For This Useful Post:

LillyPonds  (20-07-2012),steffy89  (18-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great question!

Breastfeeding is also not always like in the movies. Your milk may not come in quickly (mine came in day 5 and I had a screaming hungry little man on my hands and the baby blues to contend with). It is ok though, you are not abnormal, and your milk will come in eventually!

If your milk doesn't come in as quickly as for other mums, you might have to give your bub some formula in the meantime. This is not the end of the world, you are not a bad mum, you are not a failure. And if you stick at it, breastfeeding will still work!

Dummies, when used sparingly, do not mean that breastfeeding won't work, your child won't sleep, or your child won't speak properly. Some bubs just love to suck - they find it comforting.

If you have a boy, when putting on the nappy make sure you point their willy down. If not, the nappy will leak out the top and the legs and you'll wonder why you have so much washing to do.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ricepudding For This Useful Post:

steffy89  (18-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Signing up to this thread... Really need to know this stuff!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What they haven't told you: that it doesn't matter what we tell you, you'll have to basically find out for yourself, it is nothing like what people tell you and you can't really prepare for it :-)
    ***Sent from my phone***

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy2be3 For This Useful Post:

In My Stride  (20-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    For me I didn't know beforehand that:

- I would have broken sleep in the last few months of pregnancy and lose the ability to sleep in even though I had the opportunity!

- That all the medical intervention I feared was actually totally fine (epidural, stitches and my biggest fear - a catheter!)

- that you really shouldn't try to do exercise in the first few months as your pelvic floor needs lots of rest!

- that breastfeeding doesn't always work out and it's perfectly fine to use formula.

- that dummies can be a big help!

- That I was capable of loving someone so much and that my little girl would be the most amazing thing that could ever happen to me.

Good luck and enjoy the journey xo

12. The Following User Says Thank You to lemonpancakes For This Useful Post:

steffy89  (18-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That when your milk comes in your boobs are huge and they hurt like hell

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 2Butterfly For This Useful Post:

steffy89  (18-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellyjan10 View Post
    Just to clarify for any first time mothers reading this, most people forget the pain and difficulty very quickly, if we didn't then there would only be one child families everywhere. But do leave your dignity at the hospital door, feel free to pick it up on your way out, after drs and nurses poke and prod at your bits. Birthing the placenta was a shock to me then they put pain medication up my bum without telling me yuk. It's all worth it in the end.
    Can I be picky - I dont think women have to lose their dignity birthing. You might lose your modesty when the desire to birth matter above all else but you should never have your dignity taken from you. Drs, mws and nurses have no right to touch your body without your consent or do anything to you without explanation.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (20-07-2012),fichicken  (18-07-2012),jacobsmamma  (17-07-2012),steffy89  (18-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh god! All of your answer, whilst enlightening, are absolutely terrifying!

My partner, despite having a huge heart deep down, is a complete jokester with no filter from brain to mouth and I know will be pulling faces at me, hiding his eyes and holding back laughter and or screams during childbirth. Even though I know he won't mean to upset me I'm worried he won't be ready for all of the above should it happen and will make me feel terrible...

SO on a slightly unrelated topic: How do I prepare my partner for dealing with the things you don't know or wouldn't expect about childbirth and the first few days/weeks after?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to anabanana12 For This Useful Post:

Laydeebugxxx  (17-07-2012)