+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Who else HATES banks!!! rant

I just rang my bank to try to get them to put a stop on this direct debit that refuses to quit. But nothing is that easy. I have to fax a written thing to say I want it cancelled all because this stupid company that DH signed up to (save the deadly cobras or something like that) and they take 60 dollars every month even though THREE times I've called up to say cancel!

And my bank can't do anything but put a block on it. Then, all this company has to do is change the amount or reference.

Considering opening a whole new bank account and just get away from two stupid places.

RANT OVER. Must have new mother hormones/mood swings.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is it a joint bank account or an account in your name? The bank should not be letting it continue.

I would be changing banks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We have a joint acc and added to that is a single acc in my name. They can't do anything. And trying to get in contact with this company is useless. I've since banned DH from signing direct debit.

We are switching banks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    How annoying!

We just got a letter in the mail today. Our account wont support the new stupid system or whatever so if we don't close our account ourselves then they will close it and open a new one in September. We have cheques waiting to go through, DH's salary going into it, Shares dividends going into it and Rent coming out of it. So that means we will have to try and organise everything to be changed and hope that all the cheques get banked soon I guess. SO, annoying!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi bnr - if you have twitter complain about the bank on there. My bank acts very quickly to 'tidy up' issues when people tweet about the bank. Its probably worth opening a twitter acct just to get their attention.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We just told our bank to shove it recently and opened up a new account elsewhere and they couldn't have been more helpful.
    Good Luck x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Isn't there something nowadays where if you change banks or open a new account the banks are required to talk to each other and port over all details of direct debits and the like? Try Moneysmart.gov.au or google it. I'm pretty sure it was coming in soon if it hasn't already.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The thing is, you cant close an account that is in debit. So you either have to pay whats already in arrears (if it is in arrears) or have the bank write the debt off. They can close the account (if at a zero balance) but if a direct debit tries to go through, it can 're-open' the account.

I guess the bank look it like they are a 3rd party. The customer signed a contract with another company to take the money so the issue should be taken up with the company taking the money. I get that it might be hard to get in contact with the direct debit company but yeah, thats how banks see it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have u written a letter to this charity comp? As some need a letter to stop payments, sometimes phone calls just won't do
    They are so good @ sucking u in by saying just sigh up if u change ur mind contact us.
    I just say I have charity's I donate to already sorry