+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Anyone working for the Qld Gov? Concerned about redundancy and mat leave

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone else on here is working for the Qld Gov? I don't want to be identified so not going in departmental info.

I am a perm employee but not classed as front line so could be up for redundancy shortly. I am planning on going on my paid mat leave (14 weeks from employer) in about 3 months.

Is anyone else in a similar position? No one knows what would happen to my mat leave if I am offered redundancy soon or during this paid leave.

I do know that I might have the option to apply for other jobs but who is going to employ an 8 month pregnant woman and then not be able to fill the role for 12 months while I am on leave.

ARGH!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Shameful bump for the evening crowd

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am surprised no one replied!
    Well I work for a government company, and when I got employed six months ago I got no information on maternity leave my rights or anything... And I'm way to scared to ask!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi. I work for Qld gov and have also been affected by the cuts. That's unfortunate timing for you, it would not be an easy thing to find a new job now as you say
    As for how your maternity leave will be affected.. I'm assuming you have contacted HR? Surely you won't lose out on your maternity leave, or at the very least have that amount factored into your redundancy amount.
    Sorry I have no advice, nobody in the gov really seem to know what's going on (in my area anyway).
    I hope it all works out for you and good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the responses.

There is no solid direction on what the actual redundancy package is so hr can't provide any info.

Just have to ride the next few months out I think and try not to stress too much!

We can survive on one wage for a year but would need my paid leave.

Mod-RaryGirl is offline Forum Manager
    Winner 2013 - Best Avatar
    << Awesome avatar by Best Things!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Has your position been identified as potentially surplus? Or are you just worried because you aren't frontline?

My DH is in HR in the public sector and he recently received notification of the redundancy packages and the terms, so I'd be contacting your HR team again and ask for further information.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey qwerty. Im a qld gov employee but a long term temporary. Ive been assured since last year not to worry that they would convert me to permanent as soon as they could, but then the election happened and a freeze was put on all recruitment. Long story short, found out i was pregnant, a few weeks later found out i wouldnt be made permanent and i wouldnt have my contract extended. Ouch. Im now 17 weeks & my contract ends when ill be almost 30 weeks. Really unsure what im going to.do.at this point!!

Youre definitely not alone hun. Id definitely speak to HR confidentially if i were you x

Sent from my GT-N7000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not a government employer, but work for an NGO that relies on State funding. I am very worried about my job. We have funding for a few more months, but that's it. I am highly doubtful that we'll be refunded as the money is for community services - not on Campbell's priority list!

Every week I am hearing of more services being cut and more jobs lost - family planning Queensland lost a huge amount of funding this week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good evening ladies. 
    Just a few 'leads' that may assist you if the worst happens with your jobs. Please check this information for accuracy though before relying on any of it. All of it is really the 'unknown' at the moment.
    1. Maternity leave is a a right protected by legislation - specifically the Industrial Relations Act 1999. Basically, you need to have provided your employer with 10 weeks notice that you intend to take leave and then at least 4 weeks notice of the dates (in writing). This leave can be taken at any time after a dr confirms the pregnancy in writing.

2. Under the Paid Parental Leave Directive and the Public Service Award (which set out the minimum standard that government departments have to comply with), a woman who has been employed for 12 months preceding taking maternity leave is entitled to take 12 mths leave inclusive of 14 weeks paid leave and any paid annual leave. This period of paid entitlements is protected regardless of whether the employee is permanent or temporary AND regardless of whether the contract expires during the period of leave or directly preceding it (I.e previous business day). In cases where the contract ends, the employee is usually 'extended' by the government department to cover the period of paid leave - basically the employee is placed temporarily against a 'vacant' position for the period of leave.

I'm not sure how all this works with redundancy exactly (especially if higher duties are involved) but redundancy requires ALL leave owed to be paid out. If this is the case and given that maternity leave is protected by legislation and mandatory minimum government standards, then it would seem that the 14 weeks of paid maternity leave would have to be paid out if leave had already commenced at the time of redundancy. Not sure regarding uncommenced leave but if it had been submitted via a leave form, the chances of it being honored would be improved I'd imagine!

Also not sure what impact redundancy would have on the Centrelink maternity leave  if it meant you had to leave work 'early' ( centerlink requires employment for 10 consecutive mths of the preceding 13). It wouldn't impact on the baby bonus though I don't think.

HR should be able to provide some information but if your department/ district/region has an employee relations consultant (usually part of HR team) then they may be a good option - they are employed to advise 'in the employee's best interest'. Before dealing with HR it can be useful to have read up and be able to cite relevant parts of documents regarding rights. Entitlements can be complicated and not every HR staff member will know every nuance offhand.

Finally, there is a public service ombudsman if all negotiations fail. Unions are also a pretty powerful advocacy tool and will take on 'existing' issues once you join. There is also a tribunal/commission that sits outside government and can deal with entitlement issues as a last resort (much like small claims court).

This is just some general information and my interpretation - please check the facts to make sure they are correct - I'm not a lawyer or HR expert! 

Good luck and fingers crossed for continued and stable employment. And best of luck most of all for the safe and happy delivery of your babies.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Anyone working for the Qld Gov? Concerned about redundancy and mat leave

That is very interesting info lumina. May i ask where you got it from particularly im interested in the part about temp employee commencing mat leave the day after their contract ends??

Thanks for posting it gives me lots more to think about as i assumed i was totally stuffed.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using BubHub