+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Royal Bris Birth Centre catchment - has anyone from outside got in???

I'm at my wits end, seriously I'm so mad.

I've got SO many friends who have been to the Royal Birth Centre Brisbane who are OUTSIDE their catchment area. SO many!! Some have gotten in by forging a different address or using a work address inside the catchment area, etc.

I live in Pine Rivers area - literally 100 metres outside the catchment.
    Today I get a call to say no, we can't get in because we're outside. I thought we'd try it anyway, but NO DEAL. And no, I didn't forge an address, I thought I'd do it the proper way!

I don't freaking understand how so many people get in who are OUTSIDE the catchment!!!!

Looks like we'll be going back to the Mater instead (and driving STRAIGHT PAST the Birth centre) on the way.

Don't get me wrong, I loved everything about the Mater and I had a perfect birthing experience. But this time I desperately want a water birth, and there's only the Birth centre in my area, which won't accept us.

Grrrrr. What is wrong with this system!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    The birth centre didn't used to have a catchment at all (though the rest of the hospital did), it must be a newish thing? It just sucks that water births aren't available anywhere else Would you consider a homebirth?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It is rediculous we don't have more than one birth centre in Brisbane and it's rediculous that other hospitals don't at least allow water births. I heard that even if you are in catchment area (yes that's newish) then it's still no where near 100% guaranteed... It's ballot system and basically pot luck as to whether you get in or not.

***Sent from my phone***

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Yeah, it's only about 50% that get in

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyskies View Post
    I'm at my wits end, seriously I'm so mad.

I've got SO many friends who have been to the Royal Birth Centre Brisbane who are OUTSIDE their catchment area. SO many!! Some have gotten in by forging a different address or using a work address inside the catchment area, etc.

I live in Pine Rivers area - literally 100 metres outside the catchment.
    Today I get a call to say no, we can't get in because we're outside. I thought we'd try it anyway, but NO DEAL. And no, I didn't forge an address, I thought I'd do it the proper way!

I don't freaking understand how so many people get in who are OUTSIDE the catchment!!!!

Looks like we'll be going back to the Mater instead (and driving STRAIGHT PAST the Birth centre) on the way.

Don't get me wrong, I loved everything about the Mater and I had a perfect birthing experience. But this time I desperately want a water birth, and there's only the Birth centre in my area, which won't accept us.

Grrrrr. What is wrong with this system!!!!
    What?!? You can get into the mater?!? I live in Everton park... Let's swap addresses lol I can get into the birthing centre but won't be using it. I wanted to go to the mater but don't fall into their catchment :-( I had my other two babies there and was so happy with how things went!

Thanks
    Reviews
    The Mater don't have a catchment, do they??!! I've never heard of that. I'm in Pine Rivers shire and we easily went there 2 years ago when my son was born. Mater Mothers Private, no questions asked. I just got accepted again to go there with this one too.

This time I just really wanted a water birth. At the Mater you can sit in water but not give birth in water. The ONLY other place in Brisbane to have a water birth is the Royal.... and nope, we can't get in.

And yeh I know it's a ballot, I just don't understand why SO MANY people I know who live even further north than me can get in, and I can't!! Grr.

And no, home births aren't legal in Queensland. I don't think midwives are covered, or something about insurance, etc..... not sure.

I think the ONLY way I'll get into the Birth centre is if I'm driving in labour to the Mater, and we don't have time to get there, and I "accidentally" pull into the Royal instead... hahahah.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i think they do have a catchment area. if you google ''mater hospital catchment area'' a list of suburbs will come up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can get into Mater Mothers Private no matter where you live but the public section you have to live in the catchment area.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Re home births, they are legal in qld. You can employ an independent midwife. They have insurance for post and ante natal appts, but not for the actual birth. It just means that if the midwife was negligent during the actual labour, then there wouldn't be much point in suing them as they are unlikely to have sufficient assets to meet a claim.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (18-07-2012),Happy2be3  (18-07-2012),smallpotatoes  (18-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Anyway, I understand your anger. We have such limited choices in qld.
    I am in the catchment for the birth centre, but didn't apply as I didn't want to be constrained by their guidelines or be bumped to the birth suite if I went overdue etc.

Unfortunately, I think if you presented at rbh during labour, they would send you to the birth suite, not the centre, but you could inquire.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (18-07-2012)