+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am not really in agreeance that genetics play a huge part tbh. I think if you don't exercise and eat healthy then there is a big chance of becoming overweight and a majority are overweight due to lack of excercise and unhealthy diets so if a parent is overweight then a child has the potential to be as well. My brothers 3 kids are all overweight and I see the crap they are fed so it's no wonder. Dh and i are very active, we exercise and eat healthy and our kids are brought up that way too. They are not given sugary foods or fatty foods. Kids will learn from their parents.
    Last edited by Blessedwith3boys; 17-07-2012 at 14:29.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I also wanted to point out that ALL of the women in my family are obese. Anyone looking at all of us together would think I was adopted, the size difference is that profound.

But I used to look exactly like them. I THOUGHT it was genetic. We all did! I've proven (as is my sister, slowly) that it's simply not true. It was our habits doing it. We all just happened to have the same ones .

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (17-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am overweight and my whole family is. My DH is overweight also but not to the extent that I am.

I believe that my son has a good chance of being overweight if we do not step in to try and prevent it. I have had a good life regardless of my weight but I would prefer that my son not have to face any limitations because of what he weighs.

So with this in mind our main priority is to for our son to be very active in sports first and then to worry about what he puts in his mouth second. I have to be careful not to go overboard and deny him all treats and so called fattening foods because I do not want him to develop an unhealthy relationship with all food types.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Statistically, yes... but that doesn't mean it has to be the case.

The lifestyle (food choices, activity etc) of parents usually correlates with that of their children... so if parents are overweight due to their lifestyle, then children are likely to be as well.

Of course there are exceptions, and there are other factors which contribute to peoples' weight... but overall parents who eat well and are active are going a long way to encourage those habits in their kids.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think it's a bit of both otherwise we wouldn't have skinny kids with skinny parents all who eat an unhealthy diet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was and am a fatty but I eat well and work out almost daily. Mum and dad have always been thin. The only thing I'm making sure I do is to NEVER let my daughter hear me talk about weight when it comes to describing myself, or others. Its not the actual weight of the parent that sets up bad habits, its the attitude of the parent to issues like nutrition and weight and looks that sets up eating disorders in the future.

Once a child learns that people judge others for what they look like it creates issues. I was on my first diet (that I put myself on) before I was 10 due to the cruelness of other people. If I grew up in a household that didn't focus on smaller weight = better person, I don't think I'd have the health issues I have today. As a 27 year old mother, my father STILL calls to ask how my weight is, as if that's what matters to him. He talks about my weight to my sister, and about my sisters weight to me. We hate it. My grandmother is the same. From 15 she's been telling me I'll "always be a big girl" and when I had exercise bullemia to borderline anorexia as a late time, was the ONLY time in my life she complimented me.

Long winded, but fat parent = fat kid. Nope.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellaxo View Post
    I was and am a fatty but I eat well and work out almost daily. Mum and dad have always been thin. The only thing I'm making sure I do is to NEVER let my daughter hear me talk about weight when it comes to describing myself, or others. Its not the actual weight of the parent that sets up bad habits, its the attitude of the parent to issues like nutrition and weight and looks that sets up eating disorders in the future.

Once a child learns that people judge others for what they look like it creates issues. I was on my first diet (that I put myself on) before I was 10 due to the cruelness of other people. If I grew up in a household that didn't focus on smaller weight = better person, I don't think I'd have the health issues I have today. As a 27 year old mother, my father STILL calls to ask how my weight is, as if that's what matters to him. He talks about my weight to my sister, and about my sisters weight to me. We hate it. My grandmother is the same. From 15 she's been telling me I'll "always be a big girl" and when I had exercise bullemia to borderline anorexia as a late time, was the ONLY time in my life she complimented me.

Long winded, but fat parent = fat kid. Nope.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using BubHub
    I totally agree with you. My mum (as much as I absolutely love her to bits) has always been OBSESSED with her weight. She was always dieting and comenting on peoples weight and it really stuck with me. I struggled with anorexia and bulimia for years before I had DD an I think it's to do with how much I didn't want my mum to think I was fat. Even now that I'm super healthy and at a gret BMI I still always worry if my weight goes up a little.

Even when I'm down about my weight now, I will never, ever say anything in front of DD. We eat healthy at home and we're always outside runnng around, but I'd never make a point of forcing that on her if that makes sense? I just want her to think that's what we do and not make a big deal about it. I never want her to be upset about how she looks or ever really have to give it a second thought.

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    It depends, as others have said, on what you're feeding your kids.

DH and I are both a little overweight, but we eat really well. Fresh vegetables from the garden, farmer's market fruit, eggs and meat from our own animals. One day a fortnight is Junk Night; everyone can select ONE junk food item they would like for dessert, OR we agree as a family on takeaway dinner.

We believe we're teaching moderation and self control like that.

DH was 100 kilos overweight as a teenager, I was about 20 kilos underweight, so our backgrounds are mixed in terms of food choices.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I've never been skinny... but my mother thinks she's "fat" when she gets to 55kg, and my brother was always scrawny. My dad was probably average. I was always chubby, if not full-on fat.

My daughter was born bigger-than-average. She is now bigger than a lot of her peers - but she is also quite tall and is therefore in proportion. According to the children's BMI, she is right where she should be. She eats well and likes to spend time outside playing, so I am not terribly worried for her. I don't think she will ever be a skinny girl, but she has a good diet and would usually rather have some sushi or a salad sandwich than McDonalds and chocolate cake.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think more than weight it's attitude to food. I inherited my mothers attitude to food/body image and it wasn't until I broke that that I lost weight and actually kept it off - I've lost 40kg since (lost it unhealthily but maintained it due to that psychological change) and was overweight since early childhood. In my family now my three kids are skinny minis and DH is under 70kg, I'm about 85 now and have been for nearly a year and we all eat the same, basically.