+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think when they're young and have no option but to eat the food that the parent provides/exercise and be active as the parent see fit, then yes of course the unhealthiness will continue.

I was brought up in a VERY unhealthy household/family. Grandmother was morbidly obese, suffered through terrible diabetes and passed as a result of that. My mother and her siblings (bar one) are all very unhealthy and overweight, all have diabetes/sleep apnoea/high blood pressure/gout, do nothing much to discontinue going down the exact same road that their Mother did. My Mum tried hard to keep me healthy but as I got older (8 or so) she got tired and depressed and we lived on microwave dinners/kfc/mcdonalds etc. I always loved healthier food and didn't want to eat meat anymore though so when I was 12 or so I asked to be allowed to do the groceries/cooking. She continued to eat her take away etc but I very rarely did. I didn't want to be like the rest of my family (still don't). It was very hard but I wanted it that bad. Needless to say I'm very healthy and haven't been overweight since I was 14 or so. It's not always easy though, I still crave junk food ALLLL the time, comfort eat etc and I greatly attribute this to my upbringing. It's still hard when I have meals out with my family, it's always eat, eat, eat, pressuring me to have dessert etc. I thank my lucky stars that for whatever reason as a kid I saw that it really wasn't that hard to live healthily and soooo so so worth it. It makes me very sad watching my family, especially my Mum, struggle so much with their health though. She tries, but it's just been way too long and she's too set in her ways.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wastingtime View Post
    I think it really depends on your lifestyle and the reasons why you're fat. If you're fat because you're not eating right and not exercising enough and your kids are witnessing that lifestyle and partaking in it then yes I think it is very possible.
    If you are fat due to genetic reasons and/or health reasons beyond your control but you are living an active and healthy lifestyle then they will probably follow this lifestyle and not be fat.
    Kids learn best by example.
    This

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarelou View Post
    I think it depends highly on how you educate and feed them. Genetics also play a role. It sounds like you have the right ideas in regards to what you want to teach your child/children and I think that's a big part of it
    I agree

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's something that really worries me. I am a normal weight now and have been since about the age of 15. From birth - 6 I was normal weight. But between 7-14 I was a "fat kid".

My sister was the same. My brother has always been overweight, although has lost a lot of weight recently (in his mid-30s) due to a health scare and being read the riot act by his doctor.

I don't know what the reason was, probably a combination of things. Genetics - my Mum has always had weight struggles (she is very short so a little bit of extra weight is really noticeable). The fact that the same thing happened to my sister at the same ages suggests a real genetic cause.

We were a musical/academic family and therefore we didn't "do" sport. I did ride my bike to school every day and go for walks and things, so it wasn't like I never exercised.

My mum was a good cook and very strict on junk food - as a consequence we were quite obssessed with it - any opportunity we got to gorge on junk food we did. But it wasn't an every day thing as mum wouldn't let us, so I wouldn't say I had a bad diet.

I've always said I "grew out of" being fat, which I still think is right.

So I'm now wondering if DD is going to go through the same thing, despite my best efforts. She is really strong and lean at the moment - she's not skinny, she's basically a ball of muscle. I'm dreading her turning 7 and turning into the "fat kid" that I was. I'm just not sure how much of it is in my control.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies. I did already write something but computer stuffed up haha

I wouldnt know if its genetic but I do believe we are a naturally lazy family when it comes to eating right and exercising. Since being an adult and cooking for myself though I do make sure we have a balanced diet. But I dont exercise and its something I want my kids to do. I want them to start early and to get it into their daily routine.

I became a 'fat kid' at ten when pubity kicked in and I have had very low self esteme since then. I want my kids to love their bodies but to take care of themselves coz its not nice even thinking your the fat kid let alone BEING the fat kid.

I dont allow the word in this house though. I 'correct' anyone who uses that word around my kids because I do not like the word. I find it a very negative word and puts you in that kind of mind frame.

I just hope that I can motivate myself enough to get into shape, for myself but mainly so my children have a great role model.

AndrewTheEmu is offline Bubhub Ambassador - tongue in cheek
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I Think it depends on so many factors.

I've know 2 obese parents and all of their 3 kids (eldest is 21) are all very slim.

I've also seen slim parents with obese kids.

I think if your over weight due to genetics or food choices (portions choices aswell) then you kids are at risk.

I think if your over weight due to emotional eatting then your kids are slightly less at risk.

Sometimes kids do the opposite rather then following in your foot steps too.

That said, if you eat well & exercise regularly, and your kids do to, then they defiantly won't end up over weight.

I don't know how old your kids are, but I just wanted to say the worst thing your could do is 'force' your kids to go running for weight control.

They will end up hating it & it could turn them off exercise all together.

Insted focus on fun games, or make it a little competition to see who can run the fastest/furthest, and when you get home keep repeating how good you/we feel/relaxed etc because you all went for a run.. Atleast until they get the 'running bug'

-sources-
    Personal Trainer - experience working with children, weight loss, physcological barriers to exercise & participation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleigh View Post
    Do you believe that being a fat parent means that your child is more likely to grow upto be fatties?

Im so worried that my childre will grow to be fat no matter how much I educate them in ways of looking after themself. Once my body heals from all these injuries, me and DP are joining a gym together and going to try get in shape and I eventually want to start taking my kids jogging with me. I want to get exercise drilled into their heads asap, my parents were never strict on physical activities and I somewhat blame them for being over weight.

I hate seeing really big parents with really big children. Makes me so sad. For whatever reason, I just pray that my childrenwont sufffer the hardships of being over weight.

So what are your thought?
    I would think so as I would assume it would be genetic. Just have to encourage physical activity and healthy eating. However, I warn, DO NOT go on about people being fat, how bad it is, or how you need to go on a diet. My SIL does this and her daughter will hardly eat anything and she is 9 and complains about having a fat stomach when she is a stick figure. I really worry about her.. I think it's due to her mother going on about needing to be on a diet when she's not fat at all either...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I feel quite strongly about healthy eating and exercise for my family (that includes DH who would live on Doritos and skittles given half a chance!). Genetically, DH and I are tall and slim, although I can put weight on if I don't eat well whereas DH won't gain anything. DD is a skinny baby (3rd percentile at 11mo).

For me, I think a focus on healthy lifestyle and a sensible attitude towards food and exercise is key.

If parents are overweight because they sit around and eat junk all the time, then yeah their kids are very much at risk - a kid doesn't know any better.

It's not all about weight either, people can be skinny and very unhealthy on the inside.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Renesme  (17-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Perfectly said Cue!!!

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a firm believe in monkey see, monkey do.
    Kids see their parents eating healthy and exercising and that's what they'll copy because they're the role models.

I was physically identical to my mother up until a couple of years ago. Then I analyzed my habits and realized that the reason I was as big as I was, was simply because I did as she did. Healthy food for the most part, but too much of it and not enough exercise.

Now I'm about 10 sizes smaller than her. Not EVERY child ends up copying their parents, but in their youngest formative years they're most likely to learn exactly what they see.
    I was worried that my son would have a terrible childhood like mine, bring teased for being fat. I thought the best way I could help him was by helping myself and learning new habits .

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post:

Cue  (17-07-2012)