+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Question Fat parents = Fat kids

Do you believe that being a fat parent means that your child is more likely to grow upto be fatties?

Im so worried that my childre will grow to be fat no matter how much I educate them in ways of looking after themself. Once my body heals from all these injuries, me and DP are joining a gym together and going to try get in shape and I eventually want to start taking my kids jogging with me. I want to get exercise drilled into their heads asap, my parents were never strict on physical activities and I somewhat blame them for being over weight.

I hate seeing really big parents with really big children. Makes me so sad. For whatever reason, I just pray that my childrenwont sufffer the hardships of being over weight.

So what are your thought?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it depends highly on how you educate and feed them. Genetics also play a role. It sounds like you have the right ideas in regards to what you want to teach your child/children and I think that's a big part of it

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think to a certain extent yes as children look to their parents as an example. Plus if parents are making poor food choices then their children will be eating what their parents make. This all being a huge generalisation of course!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well I'm overweight but my kids aren't.

However I'm overweight because of bad food choices and I don't exercise as much as I should.

I think genetics does play some part as in some people have to really watch what they eat and exercise to stay slim but others don't.

If I were you I'd be encouraging them to be healthy, educate them about good food choices and exercise.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It depends. If the parents are fat because they have a sedentary lifestyle and eat high fat, salt and sugar foods and that's what they feed their child, then yes, it's definitely likely.

If the parents are fat but eat well, try to be active and encourage those habits in their children then not so likely!

Some people are genetically never going to be rake thin. Some people make poor choices re: lifestyle, and some are impeded by injury/illness etc.

It's so variable!!!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

Ana Gram  (17-07-2012),lovesushi  (17-07-2012),smallpotatoes  (17-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    You do see it alot but I don't think it is always the case. I am thin but have issues with all that sort of stuff and I am worried about passing them on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Well the children would be learning their eating/exercise habits from mum and dad so sadly yes for some it does.

I do wonder though how much is genetics. I'm quite small as is my DS despite the fact that he has a huge apetite. My friend is really, really tiny and has little stick thin legs, her daughter has the same legs. It's cute!

So surely if parents who are small can have similarly built children this could also work the other way purely due to genetics?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think if you have a 'fat' mindset then it's possible.

I'm overweight but I don't think 'fat'.
    I eat healthy, I exercise when I can (isn't very often unfortunately) I do my best to be healthy, not skinny.

I think 'skinny' if you know what I mean?

My son is so lanky and skinny and he is only 15 months!!!

Dh and I were skinny kids so I think it all comes down to the way you think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it really depends on your lifestyle and the reasons why you're fat. If you're fat because you're not eating right and not exercising enough and your kids are witnessing that lifestyle and partaking in it then yes I think it is very possible.
    If you are fat due to genetic reasons and/or health reasons beyond your control but you are living an active and healthy lifestyle then they will probably follow this lifestyle and not be fat.
    Kids learn best by example.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I am answering for MY FAMILY.

I have always been overweight and my mother was too, my dad wasn't. Out of myself and 2 siblings, I became super moridly obese like my mum, my sister was always super skinny until hit 40 and is now slightly overweight.

As for MY KIDS, dd1 is underweight at 18, ds1 is in the health range, dd2 is at the top of healthy range, dd3 is underweight, ds2 is underweight and ds3 2mths is sitting at 98% for his height and weight. I was super morbidly obese until 18 mths ago. I am sitting a few kilo's of overweight now.