+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Royal Brisbane woman's hospital

Has anyone had their bub there? And what was it like?

Mod-SammiAnn is offline Administrator
    Winner 2010- The Most Helpful Member Award

Winner 2010- Member You'd Most Like To Meet IRL Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had our son there three years ago. CS and was very happy with everything. I'm pretty 'go with the flow' and being a third they pretty much let me be once I was up and about from the CS. I had a reaction to one of the pain meds and the middy brought one of the ER doctors up to the room to check me. Can't complain about that!

Also had a lovely middy do a home visit to my aunts before we left too which I appreciated (DS was low birth weight so had weigh-ins every 48hrs).

Best of luck with your delivery.

Sam

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I had my first daughter there in 2007 and to be honest it was the worst experience. The midwives weren't too bad during the birth but on the ward they were pushy and forceful. I had issues breast feeding and dd had issues latching on as well. The midwives had me in tears every feed, they made me feel like an idiot and a failure and a burden if I asked for help.

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had both of my children there. I cannot fault them on the care they gave me during my pregnancy. They were thorough. There was a long waiting time for appts though so I suggest taking a book and some snacks. I was apart of the team midwife program however did not have the same midwife more than twice and had a stranger in labor. They were very quick to induce me with my first. I was unsupported through labor, they induced me then sent my husband home and made me stay by myself overnight alone and terrified. They did not tell me that I had a choice to leave if I wanted to, they made me feel like I had to stay. My induction turned into the cascade of intervention and I ended up with an emergency cesarean. I was treated badly by most of the midwives in the maternity ward and found only one that was open and honest about me having choices. I then developed PND and I cannot fault them on my care for that. I recieved excellent care from the psych team for that.

I decided to have my second child there. TBH I don't really know why I did that. But it was a completely different experience for me. I hired a doula and knew I would have a fight on my hands for a VBAC. I was treated badly by an OB at 33 weeks when I was admitted for some bleeding. I stayed home as long as possible when I was in labor. When I arrived at the hospital they couldn't get their sh1t together and apparently had no record of me phoning to tell them I was coming in so had no room ready for me... I was then basically mobbed by midwives and doctors all telling me what I 'had' to do etc etc. But I had my husband and my doula and I was able to avoid their interventions and bullsh1t policies. I was hurt by a midwife who would not stop touching my belly when I asked her to. I was then given a 'lecture' about how babies get stuck whilst I was pushing. I was then treated horribly by the obs when it came time to stitch my tear because I refused an epidural because of the lasting trauma and effects from the first one I got there. They then bodged up my stitching.

In saying all of that, I do not think the treatment there is different to any maternity hospital. I saw my sister slapped by a midwife in a hospital in Melbourne. If I had my time over and knew then what I know now I would have stayed home and birthed my bubbas in the safety of my own home into a loving peacful fear free environment.

I also wish I had of done alot more research about labor before my first. I do think I am somewhat to blame along with them for my outcome during that labor.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing I'm 31 weeks and having bubs at the royal..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi! I had my DS there 19 months ago and will be having #3 there in March. The midwife program was great during my pregnancy and I was well looked after. The birth was fantastic, my midwife pretty much just let us do our own thing which was great. The Ward was terrible though similar to a PP I felt like I was annoying them when I needed help and just hated being there. I have asked for a referral to the birth centre this time and whether I have bubhub there or in the birth suites I will be asking for an early discharge. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    That was supposed to say bub not bubhub lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had all 3 of my babies at the royal had wonderful experiences with all of them.
    Didnt like my first midwife with ds1 but think it was just a personality clash really.
    Ds2 had a fantastic midwife who I ran into while having DD. Only issue with DS2 is that he wouldn't BF no matter what we tried and I had a midwife and although she was lovely refused to give him formula which resulted in him losing a lot of weight and constantly crying until the paed told her off lol he is now a very healthy 2yr old.

I had DD there only 8 weeks ago. I had a complicated pregnancy compared to my boys - as I had GD.
    But my last 2 births were over very quick (both under an hr) and they listened to what I wanted in regards to birth plan etc.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all your answers. I was freaking out about going there because I went to the Mater with my other two and I had a really horrible experience with DD and a great experience with DS and I am worried changing hospitals that I will be in that horrid zone again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my DD there in Jan 09. Emergency c-section after being admitted two weeks earlier.

Post op, I was in for a week. And I hated every minute of it.

Honestly, I don't know if it were the circumstances or staff, but it was just horrid.

Ok. Now that being said, in hindsight, I have A LOT to be thankful for. One lovely young nurse spotted the beginning of PND and Anxiety issues rising even before I did. I had a couple of nurses apoligise to me for trying to make me walk before the birth of my DD when I physically couldn't and I had lots of follow up treatment with the Psych.

However, I had breastfeeding midwife Nazis. Which in turn didn't help the PND and a massive bleed post op which I wasn't aware of until about 6 months ago.

BUT.... Here I am, about 4 weeks away from going back to RBWH for a repeat ceaser and I feel so much more confident this time around.

My decisions are clear, I know what to expect and I have so much more confidence to be able to stand up for myself.

Best advice - know what you want and be perfectly clear and frank about it otherwise you will be walked all over.