+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Where does your newborn sleep?

Our little girl 3 days old, wont sleep anywhere but in our arms. If we put her in the bassinet she'll wake half an hour later. Im so scared anout rolling onto her or smothering her though, especially when DF is there too.

So where/how does your newborn sleep? Any hints on getting her to stay asleep in the bassinet?

Thank you!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You could always get one of those breathing monitor. You clip it onto her clothes and if she somehow she gets smothered, it'll alarm if she isn't breathing??
    I personally don't like co-sleeping but that's because I sleep terrible if bubs in the bed but if it means you're going to get some well deserved sleep then I'd go with it but continue to try the bassinet...

Bonkers is offline wishes she was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum, 'cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out of your bum?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Maybe she has wind? That might be why she is waking half a hour later. If you don't want to co sleep you just have to keep trying putting her to sleep in her bed. You can also if you want to co sleep get those little co sleeping bed things that go on your bed but it's so you can roll onto the baby, I think you can get them fro
    Target, I don't know what they are called

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you tried tilting the bassinet? So her head is higher? Helped us a little

Thanks
    Reviews
    If she falls asleep in your arms, try leaving her there for 20 mins til she moves into the next phase of sleep, and then putting her down.....it worked for us

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Monkey'sMummy For This Useful Post:

loumia  (17-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree, I just put a folded hand towel under the mattress, just tilted it slightly. I've had many friends use The First Years Safe and Secure Sleeper from Big W (for co sleeping) I think it's about $60 and loved it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ours sleeps in the pram bassinet in the day and his own bassinet at night. During the day movement (like a walk) will get him to nod off. At night we are quite luckily and he goes off quite quickly but takes a bit of re-settling after a feed. I tend to cuddle him until he is really sleepy or asleep and then put him down and pat/stroke him for a few mins. He sleeps right next to me so can hear my breathing which I think helps as he knows he is not alone (at least that's what I think!)
    Last edited by kw123; 17-07-2012 at 08:43.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have a newborn yet (due in 2 weeks) but have done a lot of reading up about sleeping. From what I've read, while bub was in our tummy, they would sleep a lot with our everyday movement, so when it
    Comes to sleeping in a "still" environment, they wake up as its not something they are use to (i read about this being the "4th trimester" (maybe google it). They suggest that during this 4th trimester (so I'm assuming around first 12 weeks after birth) that babies sleep bette if they are in a "swing" or "carry pouch" attached to you. This maybe possible during the day but not at night!! So for night time, try playing "white noise" as they go to sleep as its meant to sound like they are back in the uterus.

Now I don't know how much of this is true/will work, it's just what I have read. Hope it might help you though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Car capsule or pram during the day so I can head out if she is still asleep. Cot next to our bed at night till 3am ish (she usually feeds hourly after this) then in bed with me with my boob in her mouth. This way I can still sleep. DD2 is 5wks old.

At the age your bub is - I swaddle tightly with a warmed bunny rug (that way the temp difference out of your arms isn't as noticeable) and put them down in an inclined bassinet. I've always slept bubs on their sides or tilted back on a rolled towel as my girls sleep better like that. It isn't a SIDS recommendation but it works here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by dommie View Post
    Have you tried tilting the bassinet? So her head is higher? Helped us a little
    This helped us too .. Or have a look at "snuggle bed"s and put one of them between you and daddy. We are co sleepers when hub is really unsettled, otherwise he sleeps next to me in bassinet (cot when they get bigger)