Closed Thread
Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    So you never did anything unhealthy when UTD?

Look, we know smoking when pregnant is bad. So is eating nothing but curly wurlys or doing zero exercise. So is risking a ham sandwich or Sushi. Legally, no, you don't have any obligation to do what you are saying, and I'm glad of that. It's my body, it's up to me to make a risk assessment. I don't want the pregnancy police coming down on me next time I guiltily scoff a second mccheeseburger!
    Are you kidding? Not exercising and eating sushi is not as dangerous to the baby as pumping 4000 toxic chemicals into its developing body.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (18-07-2012),Clementine Grace  (17-07-2012),lovesushi  (17-07-2012),Pesca77  (17-07-2012),ShanandBoc  (17-07-2012),smallpotatoes  (18-07-2012),squirrelex  (17-07-2012),Stiflers Mom  (17-07-2012),VicPark  (18-07-2012),waterlily  (18-07-2012),wrena  (18-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    I have to admit, i am totally shocked at how many women smoked during pregnancy. I just can't believe in this day and age with so much help out there to help you quit, so many quit smoking programs and help through your GP.
    Then you don't understand the nature of addiction for some people. not saying you have to condone the practice, but your comments show a lack of insight. yes some go cold turkey the moment the find out. Other find it much harder for lots of reasons.

and if ham has listeria it can kill the baby, so really, how is it different except one is an addiction? (although someone craving ham may disagree lol)

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

ChickyBee  (17-07-2012),CupidsVictim  (17-07-2012),dreadlockfairy  (18-07-2012),Ffrenchknickers  (17-07-2012),jacobsmamma  (17-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    I have to admit, i am totally shocked at how many women smoked during pregnancy. I just can't believe in this day and age with so much help out there to help you quit, so many quit smoking programs and help through your GP.

I feel psychically sick when I see a woman smoking when pregnant. I can't believe you wouldn't try every thing you could to stop for that newborn baby. I really commend the women who stopped as soon as they found out they were pregnant. Smoking is so bad for a normal person, i can't imagine how bad it must be for a brand new little baby growing and developing it's lungs.

I don't think eating a ham sandwich is the same a pack of cigarettes.
    Of course it's not the same, but ham can give you listeria which can kill unborn babies. It's up to the individual to decide what risk is acceptable to them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by duckduckgoose View Post
    Are you kidding? Not exercising and eating sushi is not as dangerous to the baby as pumping 4000 toxic chemicals into its developing body.
    Eating sushi can be fatal to an unborn baby. Sounds pretty dangerous to me!
    Seriously, my point is that none of these things are illegal and each person makes their own risk assessment because whether or not you or I agree, it's their decision, their body.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

beebs  (17-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Um sorry - but look it up, eating sushi when pregnant is considered high risk for listeria. So we should lock those women up and take away their babies. It isn't like the Docs workers having any other pressing things to do!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Then you don't understand the nature of addiction for some people. not saying you have to condone the practice, but your comments show a lack of insight. yes some go cold turkey the moment the find out. Other find it much harder for lots of reasons.

and if ham has listeria it can kill the baby, so really, how is it different except one is an addiction? (although someone craving ham may disagree lol)
    Lack of insight? How much insight do you need to know that smoking is bad for an unborn baby.

I've done volunteer work with addicts, so i do understand the nature of addiction. Also the nature of willpower. I'm still allowed to be shocked by the practise and i am. Each to their own, everyone can do what they want with their own body.

Call me old fashioned, i am still sickened at the thought of pregnant people smoking. I can't help it, if i see it, it makes me feel sick, its an involuntary feeling. As i suspect it is for other people.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Not all kinds of sushi.
    Sorry for going off topic but have to defend sushi /

Sent from my U20i using BubHub

11. The Following User Says Thank You to lovesushi For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (18-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I guess the point is, and I said it before, I see a massive difference between those who drink and smoke and hang out on street corners while pregnant, than those who are genuinely trying to quit. We have heard from them today - they all say they weren't proud. I just don't think they are worthy of scorn.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

CupidsVictim  (18-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i think there are lots of pregnant women out there who do worse things than smoking in pregnancy. and whether or not we agree, it is their body and their choice.

but since the thread is about smoking....
    i quit the day i found out i was pregnant with my son. i used to smoke clove cigarettes and pot. as hard as it was going cold turkey, i just couldn't live with the guilt of 'what if something went wrong, i would always blame myself'.

i have known many women who smoke and have unfortunately done drugs in pregnancy. my bf smoked cigarettes and pot through all 4 pregnancies. my cousin did the same through her 2. another girl drank 5 litres of coke a day and constantly smoked pot. a mates girlfriend smoked cigarettes, pot and supposedly has hits off a bong while she breastfeeds.

i get that this is their choice and no matter what my decision was, it isn't my right to judge them. the only time i have felt torn was my brother's wife, they both went through 8 cycles of ivf. she wouldn't quit once she finally, finally got pregnant and also made the comment about it making the baby smaller in the end she had an elective c-section (and still smokes to this day).

for the record, all of these babies have been under 5lbs and all but my cousins have recurring chest infections, asthma or other respiratory problems.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lovesushi View Post
    Not all kinds of sushi.
    Sorry for going off topic but have to defend sushi /

Sent from my U20i using BubHub
    Lol for defending sushi

Which types of sushi are ok? Not that I am going to ever be pregnant again....but it is the rice which is the problem isn't it? Not just the ones with raw fish.

I made my own sushi when preggers, so I knew the rice was fresh

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

lovesushi  (18-07-2012)