Closed Thread
Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjalee View Post
    I know a lady who said she didn't want to give us as smoking caused smaller babies and she didn't want a big one....
    Yes I met someone at a party a few years ago ... She had a NB and was sitting there puffing away. I wasn't judging (i prob was ... It was before I had kids) but I remember asking her if she had found having a new baby stressful was that why she had started smoking again???(I honestly wasn't having a go!)
    She really proudly told me that she had been told you have smaller babies and put on less weight if you smoke ... So she started smoking while pregnant.

Another one I met at a dh work party this lady was smoking non stop all night she had 3 kids I could see and she kept handing her youngest to the older kid when she had a smoke (obviously didn't want it around smoke!) ... But people kept talking about her 4 kids and I'm counting them all night but could only see 3 ... Eventually I asked dh apparently she was preg.

I don't mean to demonise mums who smoke I don't these are the norm ... I have been told they are better to cut down as much as possible rather than entirely.
    I've never smoked so wouldn't begin to imagine what the addiction must be like.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I recall a study that was done a few years ago where they tested the response of a baby in utero when the mother even thought about having a cigarette. Yep, before they even lit up. The scientists were testing the link between emotional responses of mothers and unborn babies and this was one of the things they tested. They were amazed that the unborn babies actually showed signs of stress when the mother decided to light up but before she'd actually done it.

I wish I could find this again. It was fascinating. I smoked before kids and the day before I started IVF I quit and never went back. It's not just pregnancy but SIDS scared the cr@p out of me as well. My parents never smoked and as a kid I hated visiting friends' places if their parents smoke. Funny then that I took it up as a uni student.

Unlike alcohol there is no safe limit with smoking (ie every one does harm). I just wish governments would ban it altogether.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (17-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is a show on sbs or abc called mums behaving badly set in the UK. They take young mums that do silly things during pregnancy like starving themselves or gorging constantly on junk food. One big issue is smoking. They have a midwife whose speciality is smoking cessation during pregnancy.

They measure the carbon monoxide levels in mum and bubs and oxygen levels that bubs is receiving using a special machine. It's amazing to see how oxygen starved the growing foetus is. Quite scary actually.

What amazed me was that one girl said that she was still smoking because it would mean that bubs heart would be working harder and would make it stronger in later life - WTF?!!!

I for one quit smoking before TTC. I promised myself and DF that we would not even attempt to conceive before I kicked the habit. Best motivation ever!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by lolz83 View Post
    What amazed me was that one girl said that she was still smoking because it would mean that bubs heart would be working harder and would make it stronger in later life - WTF?!!!
    I saw that and almost fell off the lounge!! I do believe she also refused to keep filming the rest of her episode

Sent from my U8510 using BubHub

dreadlockfairy is offline The best things in life.....aren't things!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I think at the end of the day pregnant woman are just human. We all have faults. I won't judge someone bc I dont think I'll know the whole story of someone at a glance.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dreadlockfairy For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (17-07-2012),Beck87  (17-07-2012),beebs  (17-07-2012),halloweendee  (17-07-2012),Liddybugs  (17-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bin13 View Post
    Smoking during pregnancy alters the lung development of the baby (fact) among many other things which may or may not become apparent until the child is well into adulthood. All of the tiny air sacs that allow us to breathe are developed before birth and shortly after. This is irreversible so what you are born with you are stuck with. As we age as do our lungs and our lung capacity naturally decreases and lung function is impaired over time. If you begin life with already compromised lungs then the impact of the natural aging process is greater. Add to that if the child goes on to smoke themselves and emphysema is almost a certainty. Emphysema is a horrible condition, think long slow suffocation to the point where breathing is difficult if you even lift your arms to dress yourself and a one metre walk to the toilet is too difficult.

Smoking has permanent effects on fetal development even if they are not immediately apparent. It's not a maybe at all if the health of that child over their life span is altered permanently. Please think about this and use this for motivation to completely avoid smoking during pregnancy. Quitting smoking is no doubt difficult but knowing you caused your child to have health difficulties surely must be harder.
    ??? I was talking about someone I know, not me personally.

Thanks
    Reviews
    it really makes me feel physically sick to see a pregnant woman smoke, same as when you can smell cigarette smoke on a child YUK so sad :-(

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I recall a study that was done a few years ago where they tested the response of a baby in utero when the mother even thought about having a cigarette. Yep, before they even lit up. The scientists were testing the link between emotional responses of mothers and unborn babies and this was one of the things they tested. They were amazed that the unborn babies actually showed signs of stress when the mother decided to light up but before she'd actually done it.

I wish I could find this again. It was fascinating. I smoked before kids and the day before I started IVF I quit and never went back. It's not just pregnancy but SIDS scared the cr@p out of me as well. My parents never smoked and as a kid I hated visiting friends' places if their parents smoke. Funny then that I took it up as a uni student.

Unlike alcohol there is no safe limit with smoking (ie every one does harm). I just wish governments would ban it altogether.
    Yes, I've read that too. The study was done by Dr Michael Lieberman - if people want to google it.

I think people who managed to dramatically cut down or quit for pregnancy have achieved something wonderful.

My DH's mother smoked in pregnancy and is completely unapologetic about it. It upsets me because he has suffered permanent damage and ongoing problems because of it and she says she smoked because she didn't want him and didn't care about his health back then. Everytime she tells him this he feels like c.rap.

I'm not objective on this issue at all because it hurts me to see how much it has hurt DH.

I try to reserve my anger for the tobacco companies - profiting from people's addiction and suffering.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

Sonja  (17-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've lost more than one family member to smoking. I'd love to see the government actually do something about it other than add more taxes (ie profit for them) to the cost. And plain packaging will make no difference. I've thought for a while now smokers should have to apply for a license of some kind and gradually stop issuing them, try to have an upcoming generation that doesn't smoke at all. I know that infringes on civil liberty etc but there have been some studies and are some schools of thought that ciggies are actually more harmful overall than some illegal narcotics. Obviously there are much wider implications and considerations, but siiiigh. In a perfect world...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Really its just crazy that cigarettes are even sold legally imo

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast