Closed Thread
Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My best mate smoked throughout her 2 pregnancies. With her first pregnancy I was a smoker too and felt so embarrassed when we would have a smoke together in public while she was obviously pregnant. With the second pregnancy she had the attitude of 'well I smoked the first pregnancy and she turned out fine'. Yeah she did, but why would you risk it again? Obviously not every baby that had a smoker for a mother is going to end up with health issues, but why would you even risk that for your baby?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kellbell85 For This Useful Post:

lovesushi  (17-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I think there is a world of difference between someone who smokes, does drugs and drinks in a pregnancy - than someone who cuts right back and is really trying. I know someone who got down to one cigarette a day. Not perfect - but I though she did so well. She found it really difficult but she got down to one a day.

Yep so true. Unfortunately even mothers can't be perfect. Some habits are very hard to break.. and particularly the ones that are physically addictive! I have had friends who have smoked through all their pregnancies like it was no big deal, and others who cut right down and tried their hardest.. I know I see them so differently for that too..
    As for alcohol.. I still don't beleive a drink once or twice in your pregnancy causes any harm. There's no evidence that it does anyway. My mum drank Tia Maria every day when she was pregnant with me and I turned out fine :screwy: okay maybe I didn't but I'm pretty much almost fine..
    A woman owns her body and her choices, even when she is pregnant, and we can't police pregnant women and all their less than ideal choices. So long as its legal, its her body and her choice.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bumMum For This Useful Post:

Blondi83  (17-07-2012),jagamoe  (22-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Amiedoll View Post
    I loved smoking, I tried quitting a few times over the years but it never lasted long. I did quit the day I found out I was pregnant. I can make the choice to smoke for myself, I'm not making it for my children, and I'm not going to deliberately do something so dangerous when someone else will have to live with the consequences (this is my personal belief, a standard I have set for myself. If others think that the risk is worth it, then that is their choice).

I often hear the stress is worse for the baby line, and I think it is a bit silly, people have babies in war zones. The stress of quitting is really not going to do more harm then smoking (which is filled with various poisons and toxins, like ant killer etc).

I asked my doctor if I could use any gum or lozenges to help take the edge off (not the patches since they deliver constant nicotine to the blood ******), and he said sure, just make sure its the 2 mg one, and don't have too much. I had 4 a day for 2 or 3 weeks (less then a smokes worth of nicotine a day, and none of the other chemicals). It really did help with the initial cravings and I found it easy to quit the gum.

I am sympathetic with anyone having a hard time quitting , it is very difficult. It is also worth it, especially these days when it cost so much to smoke. I spend my old smoke money on baby stuff now, and I don't miss it at all (from time to time I do get the desire for it, but it does fade in time, and it gets less intense as well).
    Well done you should be very proud!!!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AllYouNeedIsLove For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (17-07-2012),halloweendee  (17-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I myself am a non smoker but have worked with a woman that smoked through out her whole pregnancy would even go around the office asking for a lighter if she forgot hers. We had a work lunch one day and she told everyone she couldnt have the potato salad but would have numerous smoke breaks during the day .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    With DD I smoked, cut down to 6-7 per day and gradually stopped by 30 wks. The dr was aware and encouraged me to do it this was (this is going back 10 years). I think everyone knows its not a good idea to smoke while UTD but it's not illegal, so what can you do? I know many women who smoked during pregnancy. For the record none of them have had a SIDS baby or any other issues. One person I know had 4 children and smoked without even cutting back through 3 of the pregnancies. The child she didn't smoke through has severe asthma, eczema and behavioral issues. The first pregnancy she also drank heavily through (she didn't know she was UTD for the first 8 months ) and that child had no issues. The third child she smoked with, has severe eczema and hearing and learning problems. No idea if any of this is related to her smoking or not.
    Smoking during pregnancy alters the lung development of the baby (fact) among many other things which may or may not become apparent until the child is well into adulthood. All of the tiny air sacs that allow us to breathe are developed before birth and shortly after. This is irreversible so what you are born with you are stuck with. As we age as do our lungs and our lung capacity naturally decreases and lung function is impaired over time. If you begin life with already compromised lungs then the impact of the natural aging process is greater. Add to that if the child goes on to smoke themselves and emphysema is almost a certainty. Emphysema is a horrible condition, think long slow suffocation to the point where breathing is difficult if you even lift your arms to dress yourself and a one metre walk to the toilet is too difficult.

Smoking has permanent effects on fetal development even if they are not immediately apparent. It's not a maybe at all if the health of that child over their life span is altered permanently. Please think about this and use this for motivation to completely avoid smoking during pregnancy. Quitting smoking is no doubt difficult but knowing you caused your child to have health difficulties surely must be harder.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bin13 For This Useful Post:

sweetsugardumplin'  (17-07-2012)

BarefootedMumma is offline Aiming to be in the top 10 busiest users one week.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I could believe it was that common.. HOWEVER.. I have heard things like
    "the day i found out I kind of stressed and smoked a whole packet, but haven't smoked since" That counts as smoking in pregnancy.
    "I lost track of dates and didn't find out till 6,8, 10 etc weeks. But as soon as I did I cut down and had stopped within a week" That's also smoking in pregnancy.
    "I was going to quite when I found out, but I found out when I started throwing up after smoking so I stopped smoking" again that's smoking in pregnancy.

On top of that there are the ones already said of Wanting a smaller bubs (I've heard it), The my doctor said to cut back, my doctor said not to etc etc.

Personally I want to quit. I have cut back to 1-2 a day at those time I really only have 1/2 one, with light puffs.. and feel nauseous.

Also last time I did try but wasn't really wanting too, I think cause it wasn't an accurate pregnancy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bumMum View Post
    A woman owns her body and her choices, even when she is pregnant, and we can't police pregnant women and all their less than ideal choices. So long as its legal, its her body and her choice.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub
    Do you think she owns the baby's body too?

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lovesushi For This Useful Post:

2girls1boyplus1  (17-07-2012),AllYouNeedIsLove  (17-07-2012),ShanandBoc  (17-07-2012),squirrelex  (17-07-2012),starla  (17-07-2012)

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I HATE seeing someone who is pregnant smoke. It really bugs me. I quit smoking for both of my pregnancies.

Having said that however, I can't really sit in judgement because whilst I didn't smoke or drink when I was pregnant I still did things like eat ham, soft serve ice cream etc. So while I was still able to stop smoking for my bubs health I didn't see those other things as threats and ate them. So to some extent I was selfish a irresponsible...

So in theory I know I shouldn't judge because I am pretty sure we have all taken some risks, but in practice I cannot seem not to judge

I also smoked after I had my children, and that too is dangerous, so again another reason why I shouldn't judge. I smoke still now and am in a huge battle to quit... I won't make excuses though, I will own it and do my best to do the right thing and quit.
    Last edited by Theophania; 18-07-2012 at 17:53.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My view is simple.
    It's Russian roulette with my child's life. I wouldn't hang my baby over a balcony a la Michael Jackson. That's just a crazy risk. In my view, smoking while pregnant is no different.
    Sure, there's a good chance your baby will be fine. But there's also a good chance they won't be.
    You can minimise that risk by not hanging them out quite as far (ie. Cutting back how much you smoke) but there's still a risk there unless you just don't hang them out at all.

The woman I know that refused to cut back (who was also a 'I want a small baby' type) might as well have held her kids out at arms length.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by starla View Post
    I myself am a non smoker but have worked with a woman that smoked through out her whole pregnancy would even go around the office asking for a lighter if she forgot hers. We had a work lunch one day and she told everyone she couldnt have the potato salad but would have numerous smoke breaks during the day .
    At least she didn't smoke AND eat the potato salad.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (17-07-2012),halloweendee  (17-07-2012)

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast