Closed Thread
Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjalee View Post
    I know a lady who said she didn't want to give us as smoking caused smaller babies and she didn't want a big one....
    Are you for real Thats just wrong on so many levels

Sent from my U8510 using BubHub

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Lily For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (17-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I feel sick to the stomach at the amount of pregnant women I see smoking!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (17-07-2012),chubbasmummy  (17-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Gosh I stopped having my 1 coffee a day when I found out I was pregnant! , I can't comprehend knowingly putting dangerous toxins in your body when pregnant , yes I'm sure plenty of smoking mums have gone on to have healthy babies but for me, I would never take such a huge risk , the people I know who smoked stopped immediately once they found out they were pregnant, but I suppose as a non smoker I will never understand it

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Laydeebugxxx  (18-07-2012),lovesushi  (17-07-2012),Luna Lovegood  (17-07-2012),Squishy115  (18-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjalee View Post
    I know a lady who said she didn't want to give us as smoking caused smaller babies and she didn't want a big one....
    I smoked throughout my pregnancy and I am not proud of myself for that at all. I hated myself. my son came out at 9 pound 6 ounces, so tell her that. also tell her that's a RIDICULOUS reason to not quit. I tried so hard, and cut down a bit, but couldn't. it doesn't mean I didnt live my son. He was a whoopsie baby, I had a lot of stress, if i had been trying I wouldn't have started trying until I'd quit (which my partner and I have decided we will do before our second) it is stressful to quit, but I found it stressful also worrying about my poor bub.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mamasurfs For This Useful Post:

jagamoe  (22-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Gosh I stopped having my 1 coffee a day when I found out I was pregnant! , I can't comprehend knowingly putting dangerous toxins in your body when pregnant , yes I'm sure plenty of smoking mums have gone on to have healthy babies but for me, I would never take such a huge risk , the people I know who smoked stopped immediately once they found out they were pregnant, but I suppose as a non smoker I will never understand it
    Agree 100%

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    MIL smoked two packs a day through her first pregnancy, plus a nightly weed session.

As a result DH was born at 23 weeks with lungs that barely worked, a shred of an immune system and severe asthma, as well as eye damage, liver damage and heart problems that became apparent when he was older.

The cause of all this was apparently "dumb luck" {dumb something, for sure...}

Repeated the smoking through a second pregnancy, this time with the added bonus of alcoholism. Baby stillborn at 35 weeks with under developed lungs and a deformed heart.

Repeated all of above with a third pregnancy. Baby born with asthma, deformed heart, liver damage, hearing and eye damage. Survived.

She still smokes a pack a day and still insists that the kid's health issues are a result of "dumb luck" or "bad genetics".

DH doesn't smoke, but started when he was 11, when his parents bought him his first pack of ciggies. The ol' "if they're doing it in front of us it's safe" excuse. He continued until we started dating and I gave a 'me or smoking' ultimatum.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ToughLove For This Useful Post:

lovesushi  (17-07-2012),Luna Lovegood  (17-07-2012),majo  (17-07-2012),VicPark  (17-07-2012)

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I know someone that's smoked cigarettes and pot through her pregnancies because "the stress would cause more damage if she tried to quit".
    I felt like my intelligence was being insulted. She honestly believed that I was stupid enough to believe that even trying to cut back by ONE cigarette a day and ONE cone of weed every day would physically harm her child more than the chemicals and oxygen restriction could.
    I can respect someone that tries and fails for at least making the effort. But the woman I know didn't even bother to try.

She preferred to try to delude everyone around her into believing that her baby was better off with her smoking.
    I smoked cigarettes for several years and quit not long before I found out I was pregnant. Even when I physically craved them as a pregnancy craving (very weird, and very different to a quit craving believe me!) I didn't go back to it.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (17-07-2012),chubbasmummy  (17-07-2012),halloweendee  (17-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thats disgusting Eko. So selfish

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I loved smoking, I tried quitting a few times over the years but it never lasted long. I did quit the day I found out I was pregnant. I can make the choice to smoke for myself, I'm not making it for my children, and I'm not going to deliberately do something so dangerous when someone else will have to live with the consequences (this is my personal belief, a standard I have set for myself. If others think that the risk is worth it, then that is their choice).

I often hear the stress is worse for the baby line, and I think it is a bit silly, people have babies in war zones. The stress of quitting is really not going to do more harm then smoking (which is filled with various poisons and toxins, like ant killer etc).

I asked my doctor if I could use any gum or lozenges to help take the edge off (not the patches since they deliver constant nicotine to the blood ******), and he said sure, just make sure its the 2 mg one, and don't have too much. I had 4 a day for 2 or 3 weeks (less then a smokes worth of nicotine a day, and none of the other chemicals). It really did help with the initial cravings and I found it easy to quit the gum.

I am sympathetic with anyone having a hard time quitting , it is very difficult. It is also worth it, especially these days when it cost so much to smoke. I spend my old smoke money on baby stuff now, and I don't miss it at all (from time to time I do get the desire for it, but it does fade in time, and it gets less intense as well).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow i am really shocked numbers are that high in Australia!
    My mums friend asked mum to be her doula and mum only advised her that she should cut back smoking to ensure a healthy baby. Well long story short she didn't quit or cut back and til this day she tells people that it's rubbish about the smoking while pregnant because her baby is perfect! (even though it was born at 36 weeks and weighed only 5pounds)

ETA: I don't even really understand the smaller baby argument because I don't think size really matters when your pushing! Most heads are the similar size anyway and that's the hard bit!
    Last edited by Mod-Zeddie; 17-07-2012 at 12:35.