Closed Thread
Page 28 of 33 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Wow, your child is very, very rude. I'd be mortified if my child said that, they are obviously hearing this stuff from YOU. Therefore you are making your child a weapon for your own views. For shame. But actually - you have made me realise that I do in fact judge - I just parents who use their children as voices against something the personally don't agree with, like when you see all the little kids with signs saying things like "abortion is murder".
    For shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Smyles View Post
    Just to make it absolutely clear - I am judging...

Smoking pregnant or not is a choice & a bad one IMO. My 6 yo DD even said to a smoking pregnant woman, "you'll kill your baby if you smoke".

By choosing to smoke in pregnancy, you are choosing to play Russian roulette with your unborn child's life/health. Anyone who has lost a baby already knows how much you blame yourself, why throw smoking into the mix & torture yourself even more?

I will openly and honestly state, smoking whilst pregnant is a bad choice regardless of your circumstances. All babies have a right to be given the best possible chance at a healthy life.

I was a smoker & I quit before I fell pg. Quitting is not easy, but neither is living with the guilt that "your" choice caused your child to be sick.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (22-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    And neither does your approach, doesn't mean we can't talk about it.

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    A smoking pregnant lady isnt going to stop if smyles judges her. She's also not going to stop if you step back and don't judge her. She's only going to stop if something in her brain changes and she decides to. Your approach accomplishes nothing either.

Considering that, we may as well be honest about how we feel. And some people put the baby first and think smoking while pregnant is weak, disgusting etc and there's no excuse. This is a valid viewpoint, you disagreeing doesn't make it invalid. Some people like yourself weight the mothers feelings and needs more heavily. That's also a valid viewpoint, despite the fact that myself and others disagree with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    OMG I missed that part. That's disgusting. No child has the right to walk up to another person and be so opinionated. A child does not know the personal circumstances of every person, and more importantly, they are NOT the moral judgement of adults. That actually sickens me and I would be judging the parent for not teaching their child how to behave in public. What a mouthy little brat. Yuk. That is the worst thing I've read in this thread. I think that is terrible parenting.

calling a 6 year old "a mouthy little brat" is far from fair... and calling someone a bad parent?! its not your place! your judging without knowing the full story. don't get me wrong i would have told my child that it was unacceptable behaviour and made her apologise. but your name calling of a child you don't even know is disgusting!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KillerHeels For This Useful Post:

Sarelou  (22-07-2012),~ElectricPink~  (22-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I get that the child should not have approached that woman and as much as I'm all for letting my DS make his own choices I will absolutely be telling him how bad smoking is and encourage him not to smoke , and to not stand near smokers while obviously not being rude to other people !
    I believe in leading by example but have asked (politely) that people not smoke near me or my child at my house or at work ( we don't allow smokers to smoke inside or outside at home or work, they usually go out the front or across the road)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    And neither does your approach, doesn't mean we can't talk about it.
    I absolutley agree. But some on here are trying to tell others they are incorrect and shut down the 'you can't smoke when pregnant' posts.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    OMG I missed that part. That's disgusting. No child has the right to walk up to another person and be so opinionated. A child does not know the personal circumstances of every person, and more importantly, they are NOT the moral judgement of adults. That actually sickens me and I would be judging the parent for not teaching their child how to behave in public. What a mouthy little brat. Yuk. That is the worst thing I've read in this thread. I think that is terrible parenting.
    I agree the child was rude. But they were correct: smoking kills.

If raising a rude child is terrible parenting, then surely smoking while pregnant, exposing your child to toxins is terrible parenting too?

Or is this the usual bub hub thing where women can do whatever they want, harm others and still be a saint, because it is their right and we shouldn't judge?

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Eko  (25-07-2012),Elijahs Mum  (22-07-2012),KillerHeels  (22-07-2012),MrJones&Me  (22-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KillerHeels View Post
    calling a 6 year old "a mouthy little brat" is far from fair... and calling someone a bad parent?! its not your place! your judging without knowing the full story. don't get me wrong i would have told my child that it was unacceptable behaviour and made her apologise. but your name calling of a child you don't even know is disgusting!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub
    Aw waasamatter? Don't like it when I judge other parents? Interesting hypocrisy isn't it. Not my place to call someone a bad parent? Well now, isn't that what I've been saying all along? Hmmmm. Think about it.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (22-07-2012),beebs  (22-07-2012),Jakois  (22-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I absolutley agree. But some on here are trying to tell others they are incorrect and shut down the 'you can't smoke when pregnant' posts.
    I haven't seen that. This topic does the rounds all the time. It's old hat and never changes. And no one has said anyone is incorrect.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I get that the child should not have approached that woman and as much as I'm all for letting my DS make his own choices I will absolutely be telling him how bad smoking is and encourage him not to smoke , and to not stand near smokers while obviously not being rude to other people !
    I believe in leading by example but have asked (politely) that people not smoke near me or my child at my house or at work ( we don't allow smokers to smoke inside or outside at home or work, they usually go out the front or across the road)
    That's fine. That's normal parenting. Of course you should teach your children smoking is wrong. You have every right to ban smoking in your house. I have. But to teach your child to walk up to others and mouth off is different.
    Last edited by Alexander Beetle; 22-07-2012 at 11:35.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree the child was rude. But they were correct: smoking kills.

If raising a rude child is terrible parenting, then surely smoking while pregnant, exposing your child to toxins is terrible parenting too?

Or is this the usual bub hub thing where women can do whatever they want, harm others and still be a saint, because it is their right and we shouldn't judge?
    These aren't mutually exclusive. You can be a terrible parent for many reasons. I've never said smoking is good parenting. In fact I've said the opposite over and over and over again. I empathise with people who suffer from addictions. I don't empathise with people who raise brats.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

mamasurfs  (22-07-2012)