Closed Thread
Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (18-07-2012),beebs  (18-07-2012),CupidsVictim  (18-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy2be3 View Post
    How about this : F$&K the "Women's rights"! Smoking is disgusting, it should be about the babies rights.

***Sent from my phone***
    I agree

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Sorry for your loss delirium

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Oh, I have nothing against being judgemental, I am really, really judgemental. Although I do try to see both sides of the story and nothing is *ever* black and white for me. I tend mostly to be judgemental towards narrow minded ignorance really.

Quote Originally Posted by lovesushi View Post
    I don't find these threads stupid/ridiculous at all. Everyone knows smoking, drinking etc is dangerous but the message should be repeated again and again, from generation to generation. Most of participants in this thread commend on mothers that try to quit (successful or not) and cut down when they're pregnant, I don't see how it is judging. Only 2 or 3 said that it's child abuse and disgusting. It's not worth turning the whole thread into a debate into judging or not judging. But even if people judge, it's their opinion, what can you do, are you judging the judgers?! Yes we don't know what is the story of a pregnant lady who smokes but we also don't know the story of someone who judges. Maybe they had a heart breaking experience of how smoking affects the life of someone they love.

Yesterday when I read some of the "judging" comments, I thought oh they're harsh, it's going to hurt. But today I think again and maybe it's not a bad idea. It will hurt but it can be a shock factor that help someone have more will power to quit. Everyone knows smoking is bad but they still need to put disgusting labels on ciggie pack to remind people how bad it is. everyone knows speeding is bad but they still have to make commercials showing fatal accidents. It's hard that you try to quit but can't and it hurts that people judge you when you're facing enough challenges with being pregnant, trying to quit, etc. But think about babies. Most of them want to be held to sleep, fed to sleep, want to suck on their dummies, thumbs, etc... We go "cold turkey" on them, we do control crying, cry it out, discipline... to make them "quit" all that habits. What gives us adult the right to do that to them when we can't do it to ourselves. Oh is that because they're just babies, or less, foetus?

I wish in my home country (a third world), there are more information about the harm smoking can do to unborn babies and all the help programs like Australia. We don't have that many women that smoke (because we will get judged by men and other women) but men smoke a lot and everywhere. Cigarette companies are still allowed to do "below the line" promotion activities

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (18-07-2012),Atropos  (18-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just to make it absolutely clear - I am judging...

Smoking pregnant or not is a choice & a bad one IMO. My 6 yo DD even said to a smoking pregnant woman, "you'll kill your baby if you smoke".

By choosing to smoke in pregnancy, you are choosing to play Russian roulette with your unborn child's life/health. Anyone who has lost a baby already knows how much you blame yourself, why throw smoking into the mix & torture yourself even more?

I will openly and honestly state, smoking whilst pregnant is a bad choice regardless of your circumstances. All babies have a right to be given the best possible chance at a healthy life.

I was a smoker & I quit before I fell pg. Quitting is not easy, but neither is living with the guilt that "your" choice caused your child to be sick.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Smyles For This Useful Post:

Eko  (25-07-2012),VicPark  (22-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Smyles View Post

Smoking pregnant or not is a choice & a bad one IMO. My 6 yo DD even said to a smoking pregnant woman, "you'll kill your baby if you smoke".

By choosing to smoke in pregnancy, you are choosing to play Russian roulette with your unborn child's life/health. Anyone who has lost a baby already knows how much you blame yourself, why throw smoking into the mix & torture yourself even more?

I will openly and honestly state, smoking whilst pregnant is a bad choice regardless of your circumstances. All babies have a right to be given the best possible chance at a healthy life.

I was a smoker & I quit before I fell pg. Quitting is not easy, but neither is living with the guilt that "your" choice caused your child to be sick.
    Sigh. Here we go again. Everybody has stated it's a bad choice. Everybody has stated they don't encourage it. The only difference is some people judge, and others step back because they don't know the personal circumstances of each woman. Your judging does nothing. It doesn't do anything to stop the person smoking, so I hope it makes you feel better about yourself, because that's all it achieves.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (22-07-2012),beebs  (22-07-2012),Theophania  (22-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Not one person in this thread said smoking while pregnant was a good choice. Not one.
    Some just defended the rights if the mother to make said choice among many others because she has bodily autonomy and a baby does not have rights until they are born, from a legal standpoint, whether or not anyone agrees on a moral level.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

beebs  (22-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

... And i would like to hope you pulled your 6 year old up for being so incredibly rude!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

14. The Following User Says Thank You to CupidsVictim For This Useful Post:

beebs  (22-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    Sigh. Here we go again. Everybody has stated it's a bad choice. Everybody has stated they don't encourage it. The only difference is some people judge, and others step back because they don't know the personal circumstances of each woman. Your judging does nothing. It doesn't do anything to stop the person smoking, so I hope it makes you feel better about yourself, because that's all it achieves.
    A smoking pregnant lady isnt going to stop if smyles judges her. She's also not going to stop if you step back and don't judge her. She's only going to stop if something in her brain changes and she decides to. Your approach accomplishes nothing either.

Considering that, we may as well be honest about how we feel. And some people put the baby first and think smoking while pregnant is weak, disgusting etc and there's no excuse. This is a valid viewpoint, you disagreeing doesn't make it invalid. Some people like yourself weight the mothers feelings and needs more heavily. That's also a valid viewpoint, despite the fact that myself and others disagree with it.
    Last edited by VicPark; 22-07-2012 at 10:18.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CupidsVictim View Post
    ... And i would like to hope you pulled your 6 year old up for being so incredibly rude!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub
    OMG I missed that part. That's disgusting. No child has the right to walk up to another person and be so opinionated. A child does not know the personal circumstances of every person, and more importantly, they are NOT the moral judgement of adults. That actually sickens me and I would be judging the parent for not teaching their child how to behave in public. What a mouthy little brat. Yuk. That is the worst thing I've read in this thread. I think that is terrible parenting.
    Last edited by Alexander Beetle; 22-07-2012 at 10:28.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

beebs  (22-07-2012),CupidsVictim  (22-07-2012),Jakois  (22-07-2012)