Closed Thread
Page 26 of 33 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy2be3 View Post
    How about this : F$&K the "Women's rights"! Smoking is disgusting, it should be about the babies rights.

***Sent from my phone***
    What a wonderfully succinct post. And so useful after pages of discussion.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

Ana Gram  (18-07-2012),beebs  (18-07-2012),~ElectricPink~  (22-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes indeed, I hadn't thought about it quite like that, f**k women's rights. They deserve none

Very helpful Happy2be3 - thrilling point of view.

PS- I hate when people smoke out in public too. Sitting at bus stops and stuff. What is that all about?

And - just a refresher - because it seems to be that some people still just don't seem to be getting it, understanding it, or maybe perhaps reading it?

No one - not one person on this thread has said it is ok to smoke when pregnant. Not one. Not one. And just one more time for good luck - not. one.

What I am saying - is that I can feel empathy for mothers who try hard and maybe don't entirely quit - but cut down a lot, I do feel empathy for them. I don't feel empathy for those who sit around doing drugs and drink and smoking bongs while they are pregnant. I feel sad that they are addicted. But I don't have much time for the ones who self destruct and don't seek help.

The mothers I am talking about are the ones who are trying - not the ones who blatantly don't care.

Are we clear yet?

How about this : F$&K the "Women's rights"! Smoking is disgusting, it should be about the babies rights.

***Sent from my phone***

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    I know. The message just gets through all the mumbo jumbo don't you think? haha.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    A few years ago I totally would have agreed with you. In a general sense, I still kind of agree. But I can't place my own beliefs onto another woman's body. There are are lots of things pg women (or anyone) does that I don't agree with and really, as Beebs said we aren't just incubators.

I don't have to agree with someone's actions to offer empathy. As to the comment about 'us smokers'.... I just lost a baby in the last few days and I had given up. With all the stress and anguish I'm smoking again (my baby is no longer with me).
    That was a brave thing to share. I hope you are coping as best you can.

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    As I said earlier in this thread (just a few pages back) I hate seeing pregnant women smoke. I cannot help that I judge that action. I won't judge a woman as a bad person or anything like that but I judge the act of smoking while pregnant as bad.

But like I said earlier, I don't personally know anyone who was perfect and took no risks (no matter how big or small) through their pregnancy. A risk is a risk in my opinion.

For example my sister has just had a baby. Throughout her pregnancy she was required to take an antidepressant that is not entirely safe for pregnancy and breastfeeding. It carried risks. Her doctor did not want to risk changing her meds incase her depression became uncontrollable. So every single day she knowlingly took that tablet which could cause harm. I on the otherhand was on the same medication when I fell pregnant, but I decided to stop taking them and risk my own mental health for the health of my baby... So in that case is my sister a horrible child abuser, should her children be taken away, does that mean she can't possibly be a good parent?? No not at all.

It is a huge mental challenge to quit smoking and maybe some women just can't face that with all the other stresses in their life??

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Theophania For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (18-07-2012),beebs  (18-07-2012),mamasurfs  (18-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Theophania View Post
    As I said earlier in this thread (just a few pages back) I hate seeing pregnant women smoke. I cannot help that I judge that action. I won't judge a woman as a bad person or anything like that but I judge the act of smoking while pregnant as bad.

But like I said earlier, I don't personally know anyone who was perfect and took no risks (no matter how big or small) through their pregnancy. A risk is a risk in my opinion.

For example my sister has just had a baby. Throughout her pregnancy she was required to take an antidepressant that is not entirely safe for pregnancy and breastfeeding. It carried risks. Her doctor did not want to risk changing her meds incase her depression became uncontrollable. So every single day she knowlingly took that tablet which could cause harm. I on the otherhand was on the same medication when I fell pregnant, but I decided to stop taking them and risk my own mental health for the health of my baby... So in that case is my sister a horrible child abuser, should her children be taken away, does that mean she can't possibly be a good parent?? No not at all.

It is a huge mental challenge to quit smoking and maybe some women just can't face that with all the other stresses in their life??
    Exactly. We all agree smoking is not good for an unborn child. But until you have walked a day in someone else's shoes you have no idea what their life entails. While we can all safely "judge" the act of smoking as we know it's not good, we can't, and should not, judge the mother when we have no idea why she's doing it. Even close friends and family don't divulge everything in their lives. We have no real way of knowing for sure what someone's reasons are. I'm sure there are the odd few who will happily tell you they just don't care etc but I truly believe they are in the minority. Which is why I refuse to hold it against someone.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (18-07-2012),beebs  (18-07-2012),halloweendee  (18-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't find these threads stupid/ridiculous at all. Everyone knows smoking, drinking etc is dangerous but the message should be repeated again and again, from generation to generation. Most of participants in this thread commend on mothers that try to quit (successful or not) and cut down when they're pregnant, I don't see how it is judging. Only 2 or 3 said that it's child abuse and disgusting. It's not worth turning the whole thread into a debate into judging or not judging. But even if people judge, it's their opinion, what can you do, are you judging the judgers?! Yes we don't know what is the story of a pregnant lady who smokes but we also don't know the story of someone who judges. Maybe they had a heart breaking experience of how smoking affects the life of someone they love.

Yesterday when I read some of the "judging" comments, I thought oh they're harsh, it's going to hurt. But today I think again and maybe it's not a bad idea. It will hurt but it can be a shock factor that help someone have more will power to quit. Everyone knows smoking is bad but they still need to put disgusting labels on ciggie pack to remind people how bad it is. everyone knows speeding is bad but they still have to make commercials showing fatal accidents. It's hard that you try to quit but can't and it hurts that people judge you when you're facing enough challenges with being pregnant, trying to quit, etc. But think about babies. Most of them want to be held to sleep, fed to sleep, want to suck on their dummies, thumbs, etc... We go "cold turkey" on them, we do control crying, cry it out, discipline... to make them "quit" all that habits. What gives us adult the right to do that to them when we can't do it to ourselves. Oh is that because they're just babies, or less, foetus?

I wish in my home country (a third world), there are more information about the harm smoking can do to unborn babies and all the help programs like Australia. We don't have that many women that smoke (because we will get judged by men and other women) but men smoke a lot and everywhere. Cigarette companies are still allowed to do "below the line" promotion activities

11. The Following User Says Thank You to lovesushi For This Useful Post:

ShanandBoc  (18-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    Yeah I couldn't be bothered having a conversation on the subject. For me, it's black and white. Hence my wonderfully simple post :-)

***Sent from my phone***

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I couldn't be bothered having a conversation on the subject. For me, it's black and white. Hence my wonderfully simple post :-)

***Sent from my phone***
    If you can't be bothered having a conversation on the subject, why post? The rest if us have at least made an effort.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

beebs  (18-07-2012),mamasurfs  (19-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ShanandBoc View Post
    Very little empathy is being shown towards the unborn.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub
    Touché