Closed Thread
Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    Of course they don't. This thread clearly shows that. However I will not be told I don't have empathy.
    Ok i apologise if i offended you personally. Its something i feel very strongly about and upsets me that the rights of the mother always override her baby. I lack empathy for the mother in some of these cases.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I haven't read all the responses yet, however from a legal point of view isn't it illegal to supply under 18's with cigarettes? Therefore in my opinion a mother who smokes is actually supplying a minor.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Plan2bamummy For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (18-07-2012),munchkin275  (22-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    All of this talk of smokes is actually making me crave one....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Plan2bamummy View Post
    I haven't read all the responses yet, however from a legal point of view isn't it illegal to supply under 18's with cigarettes? Therefore in my opinion a mother who smokes is actually supplying a minor.
    No. That is not correct. The minor isn't its own person yet with rights.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    No, you are misunderstanding me, bodily autonomy is the most important thing is what I said. Sure, some mothers are going to abuse it but for the most part we don't. If we lose any kind of bodily autonomy then it is a very quick slippery slope - maybe look up those cases in China, where some women got pregnant after they had already had a child and where forced into 38+ week "abortions". That is what happens when you don't have a say on what goes on with your own body. When they government has the right to dictate to you what you have to do with your own body.

That is all I am saying. I absolutely have empathy for babies, especially ones born to drug addicts and stuff. But just because a few people do wrong does not mean that we all should lose our rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellbell85 View Post
    I think that is really sad... That the mothers right to choose to smoke is more important than the health of the 'fetus'. Giving up smoking is bloody hard. But it's not just the mothers body that is being affected when they have a life inside them. Do what you want to your body, but when you have another life inside I think it's a different story. (and I'm not saying 'you' meaning anyone in particular I'm just saying it as a general 'you').

7. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (18-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I am so sorry, I had no idea. I hope you are ok

Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    A few years ago I totally would have agreed with you. In a general sense, I still kind of agree. But I can't place my own beliefs onto another woman's body. There are are lots of things pg women (or anyone) does that I don't agree with and really, as Beebs said we aren't just incubators.

I don't have to agree with someone's actions to offer empathy. As to the comment about 'us smokers'.... I just lost a baby in the last few days and I had given up. With all the stress and anguish I'm smoking again (my baby is no longer with me).

Thanks
    Reviews
    And what about my rights as a pregnant woman, who doesn't smoke, to walk outside and not breathe in others cigarette smoke? Almost daily I will cross paths with a smoker and hold my breath to not pass it to my unborn child. What people do to their own health, in their own homes is up to them. But when it becomes about another humans right to fresh air I get very angry. Because in that moment, that right has been taken from me and my child. As it has from the pregnant smokers babies.

*I commend any woman that has tried to cut down or indeed quit whilst pregnant*

And just for the record I am also an ex smoker but quit when I realised my relationship was getting to the point of TTC. I have also taken many other substances. Legal and not.

We are all entitled to rights over our own bodies but that also includes responsibilities hand in hand for the consequences that our choices make.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sarelou For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (18-07-2012),Clementine Grace  (18-07-2012),lovesushi  (18-07-2012),ShanandBoc  (18-07-2012),VicPark  (18-07-2012),~ElectricPink~  (22-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dont even get me started on passive smoking especially near my child

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ShanandBoc For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (18-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    How about this : F$&K the "Women's rights"! Smoking is disgusting, it should be about the babies rights.

***Sent from my phone***

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    :vanguard: