Closed Thread
Page 24 of 33 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    A few years ago I totally would have agreed with you. In a general sense, I still kind of agree. But I can't place my own beliefs onto another woman's body. There are are lots of things pg women (or anyone) does that I don't agree with and really, as Beebs said we aren't just incubators.

I don't have to agree with someone's actions to offer empathy. As to the comment about 'us smokers'.... I just lost a baby in the last few days and I had given up. With all the stress and anguish I'm smoking again (my baby is no longer with me).
    I'm so sorry to hear this

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sorry for your loss Delirium

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Thanks I just wanted to point out not everyone defending smoking pg mums smoke themselves

Thanks
    Reviews
    Del that made me cry I am really sorry that you lost another angel my heart breaks for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    That doesn't make any sense. You have blatantly accused those of us supporting bodily autonomy as lacking empathy, when we have CLEARLY stated we don't support smoking AND that we empathise with both mother AND child. So it's not 'opinion'. It's wrong
    I never said anyone supported smoking. Its nothing personal but upholding the opinion that a mother has the right to harm her baby i cannot agree with. Not everyone views this the way you do.

Last edited by ShanandBoc; 18-07-2012 at 15:10.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Thanks I just wanted to point out not everyone defending smoking pg mums smoke themselves
    I posted yesterday to this effect. My view (although it got buried) is that the vast majority of women who smoked when pregnant would be mch harder on themselves than others. The number of pregnant women who would smoke without regret or regard would be very small I would imagine. Most who do it would feel shame and embarrassment and really don't need the rest of us judging.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

beebs  (18-07-2012),halloweendee  (18-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's not about the right to smoke. It's about the fact that until the baby is born it doesn't have legal precedence over the mother. Women aren't there just for breeding purposes, and shouldn't lose their rights when they become pregnant. In a perfect world no one would smoke when pregnant, but it's not a reality. The worry with losing bodily autonomy is that it's a slippery slope. First smoking, then what if they ban drinking? Then someone decides what foods you can legally do, or what activities you can legally participate in. It's a horrible thought.
    I don't think it's about women losing rights when they become pregnant. Of course it is still their body and they have rights. I just feel for the poor bubba. It's a pretty big privilege to be pregnant and be the person to look after that baby in your tummy and bring it into the world. It just miffs me that anyone would choose to continue doing something that could cause harm... Obviously a subject that people have their own opinions and will never be agreed upon.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kellbell85 For This Useful Post:

delirium  (18-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Honestly have you read the thread? And for your information I didn't smoke during my pregnancy, so I'm not "all of you who smoke". No one has said it isn't bad. Sigh.
    Obviously, if you don't smoke, that comment wasn't directed at you - I thought that would be obvious. Plenty of people are defending those who smoke, saying it is an addiction and citing those who went from a pack a day to a lot less, and my comment was more or less saying, IMO, it's bad if you smoke a pack or one.

Whoever started this thread wanted honest opinions, and my opinion is that there is no skating around it, smoking during pregnancy is bad, and provokes judgement. Same as how I would judge a person who drinks or does drugs during pregnancy. It just feels so wrong to me, and we are so educated against it.

(and for those saying some dont know the risks, i'm not talking about extremely impoverished people with no access to information, i'm talking about women who live in my community, who i see at the shops, smoking)

It's not one of those scenarios where I feel like I can understand where they're coming from, sorry.

Maybe you are all nicer people than I am

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jesssalee For This Useful Post:

lovesushi  (18-07-2012),VicPark  (18-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ShanandBoc View Post
    I never said anyone supported smoking. Its nothing personal but upholding the opinion that a mother has the right to harm her baby i cannot agree with. Not everyone views this the way you do.

Of course they don't. This thread clearly shows that. However I will not be told I don't have empathy.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

beebs  (18-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    So sorry for your loss Delerium