Closed Thread
Page 21 of 33 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    This, that basically sums it up for me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Munch & Moo View Post
    I personally dont think smoking while pregnant is right. I do feel sorry for the baby.

I am an ex smoker so I KNOW how hard it is.

I dont think the mother of the unborn child is a horrible or uncaring person, but at the same time I really really feel for that child.

It would be the best time for smokers to take that step and give up - an added incentive if you will.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think on this topic, we are obviously all biased by our own circumstances.

I know of people who would smoke/drink while pregnant (extended, extended family) but in my own circle of friends/acquaintances/family no one would ever smoke/drink while pregnant. They are also all very strict not eating the foods you aren’t meant to and all of that. So my experience might be different from some. If any of my friends lit up a cigarette while pregnant, they would be shot down in flames (some of them are doctors). It just wouldn’t ever happen. Which is why i find it shocking that so many people still seem to smoke, but as said, I’m probably biased and therefore more judgemental.

I really don’t think mothers who smoke while pregnant want to intentionally hurt their babies, I wish they had enough support around them to be able to quit, at least while pregnant. I’m sure they do feel very guilty and that would feel awful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    What's the point if these smoking threads? They're so old hat, they do the rounds repeatedly and they are always the same. People criticise. An occasional honest mother admits to
    Smoking while pregnant. Someone calls child abuse or the 'helpful' thread above where one is "shuddering" at how the smokers treat their children. No one is going to say smoking is great while pregnant, so what is the point? Just another thread for woman to b!tch?
    Amen!!!

It's just bad. No um's and ah's about it. If it wasn't terrible for your unborn baby, all of you who smoke wouldn't 'try to cut down to one a day'.

Smoking during pregnancy is a position that is impossible to defend.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jesssalee For This Useful Post:

Clementine Grace  (18-07-2012),ShanandBoc  (18-07-2012),VicPark  (18-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    "All of you who smoke" - who is all of you who smoke? I didn't, I also didn't eat ham, or sushi or anything that you aren't meant to eat. I was very strict.

It isn't about defending those people who cut down to one a day - it is understanding that they aren't evil monster mothers who are trying to kill their children - otherwise they wouldn't have tried to cut down in the first place. It is showing a bit of empathy for the person - not the addiction .

I don't know why I bother - you can say so things in 10 different ways on here and you can be sure someone will take a completely different meaning to what you were trying to say.

Quote Originally Posted by jesssalee View Post
    Amen!!!

It's just bad. No um's and ah's about it. If it wasn't terrible for your unborn baby, all of you who smoke wouldn't 'try to cut down to one a day'.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (18-07-2012),halloweendee  (18-07-2012),MissMuppet  (18-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    No one is saying smoking is good for the baby! Why is that so hard to understand? It's just some of us that believe judging is not the way to go and can see beyond out own circumstances. As for all of those who smoke. I don't think that many of those that have posted do?? I quit the day I found out I was pregnant with number one and have had 4 more smoke free pregnancies. It doesn't mean everyone can do that. Everyone has different circumstances.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (18-07-2012),beebs  (18-07-2012),halloweendee  (18-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=beebs;6700793

It is showing a bit of empathy for the person - not the addiction .

[/QUOTE]

I get this, but i dont just think its just the person, there are two lives involved - mother and baby. Some of us will show more empathy for the mum, some will show more concearn towards the baby. Just the way the cookie crumbles.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (18-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Good point Clementine Grace, that sounds just about the way of it to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    Some of us will show more empathy for the mum, some will show more concearn towards the baby. Just the way the cookie crumbles.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jesssalee View Post
    Amen!!!

Honestly have you read the thread? And for your information I didn't smoke during my pregnancy, so I'm not "all of you who smoke". No one has said it isn't bad. Sigh.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    I get this, but i dont just think its just the person, there are two lives involved - mother and baby. Some of us will show more empathy for the mum, some will show more concearn towards the baby. Just the way the cookie crumbles.
    I have both. That makes no sense but I do. I feel sorry for both mum who can't/won't quit and the baby.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (18-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I do too, but if push comes to shove, then I will choose the mothers rights over a fetus - otherwise we are just incubators.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    I have both. That makes no sense but I do. I feel sorry for both mum who can't/won't quit and the baby.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (18-07-2012)