Closed Thread
Page 20 of 33 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 328
  1. #191
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,719
    Thanks
    1,042
    Thanked
    396
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellaxo View Post
    Can people not decide for themselves if they'd like to risk their health? What about alcohol? If anything should be made illegal its alcohol well over cigarettes! Personally alcohol abuse by people I know have caused much worse damage to themselves and people around them than a cigarette, I'll take my mother smoking a cigarette over drinking nightly and passing out on the bathroom floor and having her 15 year old daughter at the time (me) having to put her back to bed.

    Why is it up to governments to dictate what we want to do with our own bodies? Its ridiculous. Sure hide them under a shelf and take the labels off, but if someone wants to smoke, knowing full well how it can kill them, that's their decision, isn't it? (I'm talking about people who smoke responsibly, away from others, wash hands etc etc.)

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using BubHub
    Yes absolutely. But doing it while pregnant is the issue as its not just your own health u are risking then.

    Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to ShanandBoc For This Useful Post:

    VicPark  (18-07-2012)

  3. #192
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,848
    Thanks
    6,200
    Thanked
    16,892
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    I'm really glad you get that. Some women are just super maternal and the though of a baby being harmed by something like cigarette smoke provokes an emotional response that can sometimes be very strong. It does nor come from a place of wanting to bash women as mothers at all, it comes from a place of feeling very sad for an innocent baby.
    Sure, I get that

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

    Clementine Grace  (18-07-2012),ShanandBoc  (18-07-2012)

  5. #193
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,719
    Thanks
    1,042
    Thanked
    396
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    I'm really glad you get that. Some women are just super maternal and the though of a baby being harmed by something like cigarette smoke provokes an emotional response that can sometimes be very strong. It does nor come from a place of wanting to bash women as mothers at all, it comes from a place of feeling very sad for an innocent baby.
    This.

    Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

  6. #194
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,222
    Thanks
    1,146
    Thanked
    425
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    And also, all this spinning onto different things - we are talking cigarettes and then everyone is talking about their drug addict friends who smoke bongs and drink and do pot every day. I think that is so strange. It is possible to smoke without being a drug addict who can't function in normal society.

    That is completely different than someone who smokes cutting down to one or two a day or whatever.

    I think some of you guys need to find yourself some different company. I don't know anyone irl who does all that stuff when they are pregnant. In fact, I don't know anyone who does it even when they aren't.
    only one of those people is my friend, two i'm related to and the other people i have met. as for my friend, i would never 'defriend' her simply because she makes choices that i wouldn't personally choose.

    my intention was not to imply that people who smoke are illegal drug addicts (although i believe smoking is an addiction) it just happened that the people i have known of who smoke during pregnancy, some of them happen to also drink or smoke other substances.

    my bf, cousin and sil (all from different circles) smoked during pregnancy. they are also great mothers. my point was simply that it was not up to me to harass them, make them feel bad (they all knew it was a bad choice and felt incredibly guilty) or cut them out of my life.

    and yes, as an ex-smoker who quit the day i found out i was pregnant, i know how hard it is.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to halloweendee For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (18-07-2012)

  8. #195
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,995
    Thanks
    1,382
    Thanked
    2,879
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I don't support a nanny state, period.
    And this

  9. #196
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    12,708
    Thanks
    9,558
    Thanked
    12,690
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    Marijuana and cocaine are illegal substances. Cigarettes are not. You cannot have product available for adults and then take a section of those adults and say its illegal for them. It would never pass parliament thankfully. The baby doesn't take rights over the mother.
    Yeah you can. Smoking cigarettes is legal. But smoking them in a car with kids is illegal. Smoking them while carrying a child could be illegal too if politicians passed a bill.

    IMO all cigarettes should be illegal. The big tobacco companies pray on the young/vulnerable/stupid. Seriously, its making money off something that serves no other purpose than making people addicted and killing them.

    I watched my fil take his last breaths from smoking related illness. He lived a horrible last few years. That's why I feel sick to the stomach when people smoke while pregnant.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

    Sarelou  (18-07-2012),ShanandBoc  (18-07-2012)

  11. #197
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    390
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    107
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellaxo View Post
    Can people not decide for themselves if they'd like to risk their health? What about alcohol? If anything should be made illegal its alcohol well over cigarettes! Personally alcohol abuse by people I know have caused much worse damage to themselves and people around them than a cigarette, I'll take my mother smoking a cigarette over drinking nightly and passing out on the bathroom floor and having her 15 year old daughter at the time (me) having to put her back to bed.

    Why is it up to governments to dictate what we want to do with our own bodies? Its ridiculous. Sure hide them under a shelf and take the labels off, but if someone wants to smoke, knowing full well how it can kill them, that's their decision, isn't it? (I'm talking about people who smoke responsibly, away from others, wash hands etc etc.)

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using BubHub
    I am sorry that alcohol has had a negative impact on your life I truly am but I have to disagree that smoking is less harmful than alcohol. If you drink in moderation and responsibly you are not harming your body as badly as if you have one cigareete. The tagline Every cigarette is doing you damage comes to mind. I drink, i love a glass of red with dinner and I smoked I believe my smoking has had a long lasting affect on me compared to my glass of red. I haven't smoked in over a year yet i still struggle when i do exercise, and yes ther is alcohol poisoning etc., but if you are responsible alcohol is not as dangerous. Look at the chemicals and toxins that are in a cigarette compared to responsible alcohol intake.

  12. #198
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    12,708
    Thanks
    9,558
    Thanked
    12,690
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I don't support a nanny state, period.
    So you don't support any laws which infringe upon a woman's rights? Does that mean I can smoke pot, shoot coke and whatever else I want?

  13. #199
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,995
    Thanks
    1,382
    Thanked
    2,879
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Yeah you can. Smoking cigarettes is legal. But smoking them in a car with kids is illegal. Smoking them while carrying a child could be illegal too if politicians passed a bill.

    IMO all cigarettes should be illegal. The big tobacco companies pray on the young/vulnerable/stupid. Seriously, its making money off something that serves no other purpose than making people addicted and killing them.

    I watched my fil take his last breaths from smoking related illness. He lived a horrible last few years. That's why I feel sick to the stomach when people smoke while pregnant.
    That isn't the same because the child exists in its own right, without the mother's body to keep it alive. I'm sorry about your FIL, but it will be a horrifying day when an unborn baby's rights take precedence over the mother.

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

    Ana Gram  (18-07-2012),beebs  (18-07-2012)

  15. #200
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,995
    Thanks
    1,382
    Thanked
    2,879
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    So you don't support any laws which infringe upon a woman's rights? Does that mean I can smoke pot, shoot coke and whatever else I want?
    They are illegal acts.


 

Similar Threads

  1. smoking kid..
    By Maybelline in forum General Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 22-06-2012, 16:38
  2. Smoking while pregnant?
    By knomie in forum General Health
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 16-05-2012, 22:27

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Ro&Co
Share magical moments this Christmas with this gorgeous gingerbread house. Exclusively available in Brisbane, with FREE delivery in Brisbane Metro areas. Each Christmas Centrepiece is unique and made to order, from $240.
sales & new stuffsee all
Wendys Music School Melbourne
Wondering about Music Lessons? FREE 30 minute ASSESSMENT. Find out if your child is ready! Piano from age 3 years & Guitar, Singing, Drums, Violin from age 5. Lessons available for all ages. 35+ years experience. Structured program.
Use referral 'bubhub' when booking
featured supporter
Shapland Swim Schools
Semi private learn to swim classes for a maximum of 3 children in specialized heated teaching pools. Our swim schools are located across Brisbane, Ipswich and the Sunshine Coast, ensuring there's a school near you.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!