Closed Thread
Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I know a lady who said she didn't want to give us as smoking caused smaller babies and she didn't want a big one....

Bonkers is offline wishes she was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum, 'cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out of your bum?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anjalee View Post
    i know a lady who said she didn't want to give us as smoking caused smaller babies and she didn't want a big one....
    wtf.....

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bonkers For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (17-07-2012),lovesushi  (17-07-2012),Melzey  (17-07-2012),missjess86  (17-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think people use the 'stress on the baby of quitting' to try and justify the potential damage they are causing their child. When I found out I was UTD I spoke to my Dr who told me quitting cold turkey was fine, and that was pot and cigs. It constantly amazes me people put having a smoke over the health of their child. A lady I know lost both her babies to 'SIDS' after smoking throughout her pregnancy.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tainted For This Useful Post:

Eko  (17-07-2012),Luna Lovegood  (17-07-2012),majo  (17-07-2012),MrJones&Me  (18-07-2012),Theophania  (17-07-2012),VicPark  (17-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjalee View Post
    I know a lady who said she didn't want to give us as smoking caused smaller babies and she didn't want a big one....
    It's like women who say they are not interested in breastfeeding as they don't want saggy breasts.. Pretty sure pregnancy causes saggy breasts, not breastfeeding (nothing wrong with bottle feeding, but doing so for that reason is so misinformed).

Ahh the ignorance of some people!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    I didn't think it was so common I don't know anyone personally who has smoked whilst pregnant however I do not hang out with smokers.
    I have seen a number of pregnant women smoking outside the hospital or women who have their newborn baby just near them whilst they stand there and smoke.
    This annoys me the most because they are standing in front/on signs which say no smoking and blatantly ignoring the announcement which plays near the doors of the hospital and says not to smoke there.
    By all means disregard your own health but I shouldn't have to breath in your second hand smoke on the way to/from an appt.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    But that is you, and that is your doctor. Unless you have personally spoken to every doctor how do you know that they don't say that to people?

Anyway - I didn't smoke through any of my pregnancies, not smoking is very easy for me, but I can absolutely see how it can be so difficult for some.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tainted View Post
    I think people use the 'stress on the baby of quitting' to try and justify the potential damage they are causing their child. When I found out I was UTD I spoke to my Dr who told me quitting cold turkey was fine, and that was pot and cigs. It constantly amazes me people put having a smoke over the health of their child. A lady I know lost both her babies to 'SIDS' after smoking throughout her pregnancy.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (17-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tainted View Post
    It's very controversial! I've heard so many women use this reasoning, but my GP told me if I was a smoker to quit right away (I'm not a smoker). Yes, some GPs might tell women to cut down, but I find it unlikely; that's just me. I just find it difficult to believe a health professional telling a pregnant woman 'yeah, go on, keep smoking! The stress of you quitting is worse than the health risks to your baby!' I imagine the conversation to be more along the lines of 'oh, you CAN'T quit? Well at least cut down.'

That said, I was once a smoker, I know it takes a lot to quit, I know it's an addiction but if there is one thing that grinds my bones, it's seeing a heavily pregnant woman puffing away. Or even mothers around their children!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    But that is you, and that is your doctor. Unless you have personally spoken to every doctor how do you know that they don't say that to people?

Anyway - I didn't smoke through any of my pregnancies, not smoking is very easy for me, but I can absolutely see how it can be so difficult for some.
    I agree. I was a heavy smoker and I managed to quit the day I found out I was pregnant with DS1...but I don't think it is always so easy for everyone. People need to go easier on each other. We all struggle with something.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (17-07-2012),Atropos  (17-07-2012),beebs  (17-07-2012),delirium  (17-07-2012),halloweendee  (17-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    With DD I smoked, cut down to 6-7 per day and gradually stopped by 30 wks. The dr was aware and encouraged me to do it this was (this is going back 10 years). I think everyone knows its not a good idea to smoke while UTD but it's not illegal, so what can you do? I know many women who smoked during pregnancy. For the record none of them have had a SIDS baby or any other issues. One person I know had 4 children and smoked without even cutting back through 3 of the pregnancies. The child she didn't smoke through has severe asthma, eczema and behavioral issues. The first pregnancy she also drank heavily through (she didn't know she was UTD for the first 8 months ) and that child had no issues. The third child she smoked with, has severe eczema and hearing and learning problems. No idea if any of this is related to her smoking or not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MummyOf2Sweeties View Post
    wtf.....
    Yep .... I had a friend that did this ....