Closed Thread
Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    When you think about it what a stupid topic to debate!

We all know these day about the effects of smoking and alcohol while pregnant.

The women who do smoke and drink during pregnancy are therefore making definite inform choices.

What can anyone else do about it?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dannii83 For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (18-07-2012),Artful  (18-07-2012),halloweendee  (18-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Then you don't understand the nature of addiction for some people. not saying you have to condone the practice, but your comments show a lack of insight. yes some go cold turkey the moment the find out. Other find it much harder for lots of reasons.

and if ham has listeria it can kill the baby, so really, how is it different except one is an addiction? (although someone craving ham may disagree lol)
    I think your last question answered itself. IF ham has listeria. There is no IF factor with cigarettes. They ALWAYS contain the harmful, toxic, life threatening chemicals that WILL do damage to an unborn baby.

I commend those women who stopped smoking cold turkey. I don't smoke, so have no idea how hard it would be, but to compare smoking to eating McDonald's or deli ham is just ridiculous. They're not the same at all.

I just think you owe it to your children - and yourself - to accept every program being offered (and they do offer) to quit. No one is saying its not tremendously hard, but i know upwards of 10 friends who've quit, using every method from cold turkey, patches to hypnotism. Some things are too important to be all 'kumbiya, we love and support you' about!

On I side note, I don't know how you could smoke pregnant anyway. The smell usually doesnt bother me, but now if I smell cigarette smoke from 10m away it makes me gag

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jesssalee For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (18-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat21 View Post
    That is, in fact, illegal in most (all?) states.
    But take the law away for a minute. What is the difference?

So should smoking whilst pregnant be illegal as can be even more harmful ( although i realise would be impossible to police) but highlights how unacceptable it should be, rather than 'her body, her choice'

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub
    Last edited by ShanandBoc; 18-07-2012 at 06:35.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    If they have a TV then they know. If they go to school then they know.
    It is a shame this thread got a bit judgey though. No one here said that they smoked & didn't care about the consequences, which would be deserving of scorn. On the contrary the mums who admitted to smoking during pregnancy sound like they tried so hard to give up or at least minimise the harm. That's got to be better than nothing.

I personally don't get it ( I used to smoke so do get the addiction thing). The guilt would kill me. I feel bad enough about using an iPad and having one coffee a day.

The stats really really surprise me. I truly thought smoking was on the way out, and smoking while pregnant just didnt exist except in limited socio-economic areas.

It must drive doctors absolutely crazy.

Oh, and it's nothing like having a ham sandwich. The analogy is facile.
    I don't really want to keep this going...but the bolded bit just goes to show how unaware alot of people are about the way others live in this country.

We don't have a TV by the way but luckliy that is out of choice for us and we have access to quailty education and healthcare.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

Theophania  (18-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ShanandBoc View Post
    But take the law away for a minute. What is the difference?

So should smoking whilst pregnant be illegal as can be even more harmful ( although i realise would be impossible to police) but highlights how unacceptable it should be, rather than 'her body, her choice'

Yes it should be illegal, but like abortion that will never happen ... because the babies rights come last until he/she is born. Unless he/she is wanted, is 23+weeks and there is a medical issue. Then staff will move heaven and earth to save bub.

Ahh. Too many variations to the rules. A bub should have rights from the get go.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (18-07-2012),ShanandBoc  (18-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think there would be many people who don't know smoking is a terrible choice to make during pregnancy in particular. I just cared for two children from a remote aboriginal community last week and THEY were telling me that smoking when you have a baby in your tummy is "real bad and makes dem bubbas real sick". They are only 6 & 7!

I haven't read every post, but Ill be brave and say that I THINK SMOKING WHILE PREGNANT SHOULD BE ILLEGAL. I don't think women should have the right to harm or neglect their unborn, just like I don't think they should have the right to harm or neglect their born child. I'm not a smoker so don't know personally how hard it may be, but many many women stop smoking for their pregnancy so it's obviously very possible.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to breakthemould For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (18-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Making smoking illegal while pregnant is ridiculous. First of all it's not an illegal act. Secondly how would you police it? Barge into pregnant women's homes? Do random tobacco tests? Thirdly how would you punish it? Put them in jail? What are the ramifications if they do smoke? Do you plan to physically restrain them? Lastly since when has making things illegal made any difference? When I read comments like that I'm so relieved that we have bodily autonomy.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

beebs  (18-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I don't necessarily disagree that I smoking should be illegal - but everyone, not just a certain population. But, at the moment, it is legal.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (18-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Yes it should be illegal, but like abortion that will never happen ... because the babies rights come last until he/she is born. Unless he/she is wanted, is 23+weeks and there is a medical issue. Then staff will move heaven and earth to save bub.

Ahh. Too many variations to the rules. A bub should have rights from the get go.
    Agreed. Its so hypocritical

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm pro -vax but not to the point of taking away bodily autonomy. I have always said that I don't think mothers should be *forced* into anything. Although admittedly I have grappled with the idea - sometimes I do swing towards agreeing with forced vaccinations programs, just not today

Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    To be honest , knowing how pro vax you are it surprises me that you are sticking up for smokers ? (smoke being dangerous to babies)