Closed Thread
Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ShanandBoc View Post
    Who doesnt?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub
    There are so many places to get help with quitting smoking. There are free telephone helplines, you can go to the GP , to the chemist. So many programs that are so passionate about helping people quit. There are quite smoking adds everywhere, so as said, its not a newsflash. Which is why i said, i just personally find it hard in this day and age with all that help out there, people find it impossible to quit for the sake of their unborn baby. But thats me, i don't care if i'm judgmental.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Refresh View Post
    SO many people who don't live the priveleged life that I do. It's just not that simple. Honestly, this is just one example and using it because I see it personally - there are people living in small towns that have never left, ever. They have been smoking since they were 8 years old, everyone does it, it's completely normal, they don't see a problem with it at all.
    I find it hard to believe that anyone in this country in this day and age doesnt know how bad smoking is for you.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ShanandBoc For This Useful Post:

austmum  (17-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I find it hard to believe that anyone in this country in this day and age doesnt know how bad smoking is for you.

Then you live a priveleged life

There are kids that live in a town just down the road from here that have never been on an escalator.
    Last edited by Ffrenchknickers; 17-07-2012 at 23:21.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (18-07-2012),ShanandBoc  (17-07-2012),Theophania  (18-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    ??? I was talking about someone I know, not me personally.
    Sorry I know, I was just talking in general in reference to your post because you were saying that you were not sure if smoking had an effect on those children and I just wanted to put it out there that the child is definitely affected if the mother smokes. I want people to understand that because there are a lot of people that don't seem to understand the consequences of their actions. I have heard people irl say things like my son turned out alright but sometimes the damage can't be seen. Sorry again, it wasn't aimed at you personally.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bin13 For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (18-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

There are kids that live in a town just down the road from here that have never been on an escalator.
    Well im guessing most would know and certainly those of us on bub hub. Thats sad about the kids near you x

Thanks
    Reviews

If they have a TV then they know. If they go to school then they know.

It is a shame this thread got a bit judgey though. No one here said that they smoked & didn't care about the consequences, which would be deserving of scorn. On the contrary the mums who admitted to smoking during pregnancy sound like they tried so hard to give up or at least minimise the harm. That's got to be better than nothing.

I personally don't get it ( I used to smoke so do get the addiction thing). The guilt would kill me. I feel bad enough about using an iPad and having one coffee a day.

The stats really really surprise me. I truly thought smoking was on the way out, and smoking while pregnant just didnt exist except in limited socio-economic areas.

It must drive doctors absolutely crazy.

Oh, and it's nothing like having a ham sandwich. The analogy is facile.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Artful For This Useful Post:

ShanandBoc  (17-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post

The stats really really surprise me. I truly thought smoking was on the way out, and smoking while pregnant just didnt exist except in limited socio-economic areas.

Oh, and it's nothing like having a ham sandwich. The analogy is facile.
    I think that it's, the amount of people who still smoke while pregnant really surprises me too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The report shows that the numbers are clearly decreasing though, the message is definitely getting out there.

Another 10 years and maybe it won't be around at all?

Smoking in pregnancy
    The proportion of mothers reporting any smoking duringpregnancy declined between 2005 and 2009: 12,738 (14.3%)mothers reported smoking in pregnancy in 2005, 12,307(13.5%) in 2006, 12,068 (12.8%) in 2007, 12,094 (12.7%) in2008, and 11,434 (12.0%) in 2009.

Of mothers who smoked during pregnancy in 2009, 16.1%stopped smoking before the second half of pregnancy. Overthe 5–year period, among those who smoked in the secondhalf of pregnancy, there was a trend towards smoking fewercigarettes per day (Table 8).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't mean to sound judgemental Sorry if it came across that way. My posts were relating to the standard that I hold myself to, not anyone else.

I actually am pro choice, and I do believe that people have the right to do what they want with their own bodies (I would never opt to take people's choices away from them). My question was more of a philosophical nature, being that when you are pregnant you are making momentous decisions that shape someone else's life, and surely that comes with some responsibility/accountability.

Also no, I don't take unnecessary risks (not even for a ham sandwich ). I'm far from perfect, and I'm sure I've made lots of mistakes but I try my best to minimise them.
    When in doubt I consult my doctor, which was the first thing I did when I found out I was pregnant and knew I'd need a bit of help to quit smoking (I also looked up methods of quit smoking aides that I could safely use at low dosages on the net to ask my doctor about).

We were trying to conceive for 8 years, I might be overly cautious but it is something I feel is necessary, if something goes wrong I personally need to know that I did my very best to minimise any risks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Question. A mother sitting in a car all windows up puffing away on a cigarette with a baby in the back. Wrong? Abuse? Or is that different? Should nothing be said. Would it be judgemental? I fail to see the difference myself

That is, in fact, illegal in most (all?) states.