+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Hints for Chicken Pox

I thought I would share some of my tips to help others get through a case of chicken pox.

Some of the early symptoms can be a headache, sore tummy, feeling unwell and a temp. The spots can start in 'hidden' areas such as in your child's hair, under their arms or trunk, it is often first 'discovered' in the bath. It presents as small blister like spots and sometimes as a general rash.

The infectious period for chicken pox is 2 days before the spots appear until all of the spots have scabbed over (usually around 7 days). It can be spread on contact or through droplets. Incubation period 7-21 days.

For children over the age of 2 (and younger if you consult with pharmacist etc) there are homeopathic remedies you can use to help. We used aconite in the very early stages and had a very mild case of chickenpox, only about a dozen spots which healed very quickly. Rhus tox is also recommended to help with itching but this wasn't really an issue for us.

I also found out they don't recommend calamine lotion anymore as it dries the sores too quickly causing more itching and scarring, they prefer them to be kept moist, we used hypericum ointment but chickweed ointment was also highly recommended. Using oatmeal and bicarb soda in a bath is also very soothing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks for the tips. My 4 year old has just caught chicken pox!

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Happy to help

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I know this is the non vaxxing section, but I just wanted to add, that when I got them I had agonisingly painful eyes and sunlight was really painful and a really stiff and painful neck - that was for about a week before I got the actual pox.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had them when I was about 30 and wasn't sick at all, I gave them to my other child who was about 6 then too and he wasn't sick either, we must have kick chicken pox butt genes

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    There was an emergency nurse that was on group tour in europe with me and she was convinced that I had mono.....If only I knew that mono was glandular fever - I could have told her I had already had it!

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyboys View Post
    I had them when I was about 30 and wasn't sick at all, I gave them to my other child who was about 6 then too and he wasn't sick either, we must have kick chicken pox butt genes