+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Which date would you go with?

Hi. According to my LMP my due date is August 10th. At every ultrasound (6, 12, 19 and 34 weeks) the dates have shown the same - all have said August 5th. This is what the attending OB as well as my GP have been going on. At my antenatal clinic appt. at the hospital the midwife said they will go with the LMP date as that's what my body tells me is right and to ignore my GP. (So much for 'shared' care, huh?). Anyway, I'm really hoping for the 5th as we are going overseas at the end of September and every day the new baby is older, the less crappy the trip is going to be!!! Does anyone know what the standard is for due dates? Scan or LMP?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would go by LMP so you have a little longer before the hospital will push for induction if you go overdue.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kadorite For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (16-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I go by scan as LMP is generally based on 28 day cycle, and assuming you ovulate on a certain day, 14 days before your next AF is due.

When I found out I was pregnant with my first, the dr went by my LMP, which put me at 10 weeks along. A scan 2 weeks later showed I was only 8 weeks- going by the dr I should have been 12 weeks. That's a whole months difference. Similar thing with number 2.

So yeah I would go by the first dating scan (the earlier the scan the more accurate- so a 8 week dating scan would be more accurate then a 20 week one).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

LoveHeart  (16-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    5 days is not that different. It's better to go by the later date IMO.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's a good point about the induction and that's what the hospital is going with. I think I'm just hoping for the 5th! I knew the earlier scan was more accurate, but every scan has put me at the earlier date.

Thanks
    Reviews
    5 days feels a long time when you've been throwing up every day since November 2011!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I guess it depends. I ovulate early in my cycle so it throws out the LMP EDD. But I agree with Kadorite, I'd go with the earlier date, that way you have those few extra days to go into labour spontaneously before they bring up induction (if you go overdue)

My scan dates have been all over the place, my first at 6wks I was told 18/10, then at 12wks the 8/10 and then at 20wks 5/10, my date keeps getting put forward, but hospital are going with the 8th because apparently 10days is to big a discrepancy between the first two dates.
    Last edited by Littlemissmetal; 16-07-2012 at 21:33.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadorite View Post
    I would go by LMP so you have a little longer before the hospital will push for induction if you go overdue.
    I agree with this - I am in the same position and have gone by the later date to buy myself more time before medical personell start pushing for an induction if I go 'over', and I would prefer to avoid an induction as much as possible - if you go by the earlier date, they might be pushing you for an induction when you are a week over, but you really might only be a couple days over due.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah, the hospital is definitely going with the later date so I have until
    the 20th before induction. I was induced with #1 and while it wasn't a terrible experience I'd like to avoid it again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadorite View Post
    agree!!