+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think the movie "Jaws" is responsible for many people being afraid of the ocean. I know I am!

Sent from my U8510 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonster View Post
    I'd like to know what someone who has been attacked or knows someone who has been attacked would say on the subject? I think that would be interesting.

My mother saw the movie jaws and then was so scared of sharks that she refused to swim at a beach (still won't and shes in her 50s). And she wouldn't let my brother and I swim at a beach either. It was a pool or nothing.
    My dad was bitten years ago while diving. It only got a chunk of wetsuit, luckily. Otherwise I wouldn't be here!
    But even he doesn't think they should be hunted and killed.
    Sharks are amazing creatures and have just as much right to exist as we do. I've seen footage of them being caught and having their fins cut off for shark fin soup. They then get thrown back, still alive, bleeding from where their fins used to be. I sobbed like a baby watching that. It's horrific, what humans do to them.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

ABigDeepBreath  (20-07-2012),Bonkers  (17-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's horrific :O
    You have more will power than me. I would not have been able to watch that.

Here's a thought... People get attacked and sometimes killed by dogs but has anyone ever said we should kill all dogs?
    I made myself watch it. There is a lot I can't watch though, I'm quite a coward with that kind of think, it's just too hard. But I think I should see it if I'm going to sign petitions and write letters etc. like I said though, I mostly don't watch or look. Too much.

Re the dog scenario, I think if a dog kills someone they are generally destroyed. I think that's the current action with sharks too if they can pinpoint which one is responsible (I wonder how they do that?) I do think all dogs should be trained and all kids trained how to behave around dogs, but even if that was the case, sometimes things happen. There's no easy answer

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (17-07-2012)

Bonkers is offline wishes she was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum, 'cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out of your bum?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I liked the movie jaws I kinda thought he was a cute shark

Thanks
    Reviews
    We get the same said about the crocodiles where we live and like sharks they should be left alone, it's their domain not ours!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Nope. I believe crocodile, sharks, any predator should be protected as we are just food

9. The Following User Says Thank You to fairyflossfairy For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (18-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope.dont want to get eaten, don't swim in the sea...pretty simple really....

It's their home, not ours.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnyflower For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (18-07-2012)

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    when a shark wanders up the main street attacking random people, then Ill support a cull.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to trishalishous For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (18-07-2012),NancyBlackett  (18-07-2012),smallpotatoes  (18-07-2012)

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Here's a thought... People get attacked and sometimes killed by dogs but has anyone ever said we should kill all dogs?
    Uhhh...yes...that's kindof the point of BSL laws.

In Victoria at least, if the ranger decides your dog looks {not acts, they don't need proof} like it might be dangerous one day, they can legally go onto your property without your permission, seize and destroy your family dog.

The point is to destroy all dogs of a particular size, colour or shape regardless of whether they present a danger to society or not.

That's no more fair, just or logical than killing all sharks based on the actions of one.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ToughLove For This Useful Post:

austmum  (18-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, I don't agree with it. I'm an adventurer(heheh) and in a few years will be off to Africa to float around there for a while. All my family and friends, and in my will, will clearly state if I'm killed by a Hippo or whatever, under no circumstance are the animals to be destroyed. I know the dangers of going to these places and I downright refuse to let an animal pay for what is ultimately my own stupidity.

I really wish human beings would drop the idiocy that is the 'top of the food chain' nonsense. We're no more entitled to the Earth than any other living being is, just because we're a bunch of dumb@rses. Which is actually what it comes down to.

I find the destruction of sharks for killing one human abhorrent. It just makes us humans bullies. We can't take our anger out on war for killing hundreds of thousands of humans, we can't take our anger out on the idiot who was drink driving and killed someone, but we can hurt a shark who was only doing sharky things, so by golly, that's what we're cursed well going to do. - -;

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jennaisme For This Useful Post:

becandabub  (20-07-2012),Bonkers  (20-07-2012)