+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i live in perth, have swum with sharks numerous times (diving) and studied them at university. i think they are amazing...

i makes me feel ill to think they will suddenly be taken off the protected list and be opened up for hunting. so many sharks are already killed by commercial fishing i actually refuse to eat shark for that reason and that they are a slow growing species that takes a long time to recover.

every time i went diving, i knew i was taking a risk. same thing when i hop in the car, i am taking a risk.
    if we are truly 'scared' why not spend money on researching shark repellant devices.
    or start accepting we are responsible for the risks we take.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to halloweendee For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (17-07-2012),share a book  (16-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    They had shark nets at Alma Bay and one of the beaches between Townsville and Cairns. Funny as anything though, there were stinger nets at the beach with shark nets just a little way out, but there was a 6ft crocodile sitting just near where the stinger net was on the beach. Hmm, if we get past the crocodile, provided there are no others, we can swim safely in the stinger net. Nobody was swimming in the stinger net, but heaps of people were in the river that ran off the ocean

4. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (17-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    200% NO!!!
    As previous posters have said its their territory their home...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Beck87 For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (17-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Definitely not! I am terrified of sharks however I don't believe they should be hunted either for revenge or commercially.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MamaC For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (17-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Something has to be done. Killing every shark is not going to solve the problem. We need more patrols, more tagging, and yes with proper control and limiting/sizing according to breeding and research the sharks should be taken off the endangered species list if it is validated there are the numbers to do so.

I don't agree to the 'chance' comparison of you are more likely to die in a car crash, you are more likely to drown etc etc. Yes we might be, but we also put in effort to decrease these risks. If fatal shark attacks increase then the ratios will be reversed.

I know this part of the coast line where this happened very well. Before longlining was banned there were few sightings of sharks in the waters close to the beaches. Now there is plenty. There are many first hand experiences of large sharks trying to attack boats not only small boats but large commercials.

I can see the point of view of people who say we are going into their territory. Well so are we when we grow crops to feed our population. We also like to cull the kangaroo's and poison the rabbits who then eat our food. Dingo's are culled. My point being we cull animals on land, land which was previously 'their' territory.
    Last edited by patsmum; 16-07-2012 at 23:33.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No way.....

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ShanandBoc For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (17-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patsmum View Post
    Something has to be done. Killing every shark is not going to solve the problem. We need more patrols, more tagging, and yes with proper control and limiting/sizing according to breeding and research the sharks should be taken off the endangered species list if it is validated there are the numbers to do so.

I don't agree to the 'chance' comparison of you are more likely to die in a car crash, you are more likely to drown etc etc. Yes we might be, but we also put in effort to decrease these risks. If fatal shark attacks increase then the ratios will be reversed.

I know this part of the coast line where this happened very well. Before longlining was banned there were few sightings of sharks in the waters close to the beaches. Now there is plenty. There are many first hand experiences of large sharks trying to attack boats not only small boats but large commercials.

I can see the point of view of people who say we are going into their territory. Well so are we when we grow crops to feed our population. We also like to cull the kangaroo's and poison the rabbits who then eat our food. Dingo's are culled. My point being we cull animals on land, land which was previously 'their' territory.
    I do not agree with any mass culling.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    I do not agree with any mass culling.
    Exactley, Its not just Sharks I dont agree with any mass culling either.

Sent from my U8510 using BubHub

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Lily For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (17-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by patsmum View Post

Rabbits and kangaroos are a pest whose numbers have FLOURISHED thanks to humans, if they are not culled they destroy vegetation and will *eventually* starve themselves.

We 'take precautions' with cars etc yes well we can simply NOT swim in the ocean.

A shark sees a thing waving around in the water, they think it is a fish or a seal so they try to eat it.

I dont agree with the nets either, dolphins and other non 'killer' marine life die regularly in them.

You go into the jungle, you *might*pay get attacked by a lion etc

You go into the out back, you *might*pay fall victim to a snake or a spider etc.

You go into the ocean, you *might * fall victim to a shark.

Thats the simple facts, if you dont want to take that risk then stay on the land.

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

16. The Following User Says Thank You to GuestMember For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (17-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The day sharks begin attacking people in their homes is the day we should look at hunting them. As it is, we go into their homes, we are fair game.
    We need to look at why they are coming closer to shore. I think it will show that yet again, humans are to blame, with excessive fishing and environmental changes we have wrought.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (17-07-2012),Chocolate All Gone Now  (20-07-2012),cluckcluck  (17-07-2012)