+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default need help deciphering the doctors lingo on my antenatal card plz?

On my antenatal card the doctor has written that bubs head is at 4/5. Just wondering if that means he is 4/5 inside my pelvis or 4/5 out of my pelvis? I'm due on Thursday and desperately would like to hear that bub is progressing, i just didn't think to ask when i was there.

Also how far along would you personally wait before you consider looking at induction? I feel uncomfortable going past 41 weeks, i just feel like maybe things could start going wrong, i don't really know why,... but my doctor wont consider making any plans till i hit 42 weeks. I do trust him , i guess im just starting to get scared of something happening to my baby, silly i know when i have no medical reason to worry. I just really want my boy here safe and sound.

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have the same thing on my card and asked my MIL (ex nurse - though not midwife) and she thought it meant 4/5 inside tummy, so not very far down.

Sorry - didn't mean to submit then. It's easy for someone else to say, but I guess I would trust your ob (mind you, I had my 38 week check today and was going to ask about possibly being induced around my due date) so I'm not the most patient person.

Good luck with everything. I hope you get to hold your little bubba soon. xo
    Last edited by kymmie; 16-07-2012 at 19:13.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    4/5 in is crowning I think..I would say 4/5 out

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep 4/5 means that 4/5 of the head can be palpated OUTSIDE the brim of the pelvis, so therefore 1/5 is below the pelvic brim. Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear xo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi the balloon,
    Congrats on being closer to meeting your baby! how exciting!

I have heard different things about the way it is written.
    If it is just 4/5. It may mean that 4/5 of the head can be felt above the pelvis. If it was written 4/5 engaged (then that is clearer that the head is actually engaged). Don't worry too much about it. Baby's can engage fine in labour!
    Try walking and moving your hips around if you would like to encourage baby to descend.

Many women go to 42 weeks (and some even go beyond!). Trust your body and baby to know when the right time is. Plan activities to distract yourself each day (like a a massage or meet with friends). Breathe deeply and stay calm (worrying too much can stall labour from happening).

All the best. You will be fantastic. One breath a time!