+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default What vaccines did you select/delay?

Hey all

DP and I have been discussing vaccines recently and we are pro select/delay vaccinating (when we finally have kids!)
    Just wanting an idea of what vaccines you selected and how long did you delay them?

Yay for new sections :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would have given the WC vax when my kids were bubs but you cant get it as a single shot.
    Now they are beyond the high risk age (IMO) and feel theres no need anymore.
    I was going to give my kids MMR and diptheria before they start school (just so their immune system could be as strong as possible) but AGAIN cant get them as single shots. Which is part of the reason we dont vax.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We chose to delay vaxxes until we felt the risks for contracting certain diseases increased, mainly due to location and lifestyle. So my 4yo and 2yo have just been vaccinated, my 5yo was already vaxxed and my 4mo is still vaxx free and will be until he's at least 1yo.

We choose to give the following vaccinations:

Varicella
    MMR
    DTPa (Infanrix-Penta)

*I can haz typos*
    Last edited by Lillynix; 30-07-2012 at 14:27.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bumping this thread as I was about to post one the same. Interested in more replies please.

Thanks
    Reviews

Bumping as interested In more answers

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

DS has his 2 month jabs at 4 months - I felt he was too little earlier.

He did not get rotavirus as I don't think the risk in Melbourne is worth the side effects.

We will delay MMR until 4 or 5 unless I can somehow get them separately from overseas.

Thanks
    Reviews

This is somewhat what I think. I won't be giving rotavirus or hep b. but all the others as much as I don't want to give them, I feel too nervous about not giving them iykwim. If whooping cough came as a separate needle I may just give him that, as I don't feel tetanus is necessary. Argh so many decisions, it's stressing me out, I've read so many bad stories of babies having terrible reactions to the dtap vaccine, but I am scared not to give it as well. Either way I will worry. I don't think I will give MMR, or if I do it won't be until he is much older.
    Anyone else??

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: What vaccines did you select/delay?

Just wondering why you dont think tetanus is important?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

The majority of tetanus infections in newborns are contracted at birth by using unsterile equipment to cut cords or unclean hands delivering the baby. Either this, or getting dirt into a deep puncture wound, usually by something contaminated with soil. So I think the chances of this happening is low, since I won't be taking my baby into farm houses or anything. He will also get antibodies through my breast milk as I have been vaccinated not long before falling pregnant. I not saying I'm not going to give it, I would probably wait until he is at least 2yo when the blood brain barrier is formed. But I haven't decided on anything yet and I'm finding it a very hard decision on what vaccines to give. In a way I wish I had never starting researching this as now I feel really worried about it all, whereas if I'd just given them as per schedule I'm sure everything would be fine!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: What vaccines did you select/delay?

Just keep in mind children have accidents. The bacterium which causes tetanus can be in soil anywhere (even packaged potting mixes etc). Stepping on a prickle or a largish splinter has every chance of causing the infection. Or the possibility of a dirty toy from outside coming in contact with a wound during playing.

While I absolutely respect your decision I personally dont think some things are worth the risk. Afterall we cant keep our eyes on them every second of the day..

Chances of something happen are quite slim but I cant imagine how I personally would feel if my child was infected and it wasnt caught in time...

Things like chicken pox, whooping cough etc I absolutely understand but tetanus for me is a whole different risk factor

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub