+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Suggestions to stop nail biting!!

Not sure if I've put this in the right spot or if anyone else has asked this before but I need help to stop biting my nails!!

I have tried the nail polish that tastes disgusting before and it didn't really work! I'm hoping someone who used to bite their nails and doesn't anymore can tell me what they did to stop!!!
    My main problem is that I don't realize I'm doing it, I always do it when driving or watching tv etc. but I don't seem to realize until I've bitten them down so far that it hurts!!
    Any suggestion or help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing because I have the same problem

Thanks
    Reviews
    Would love to hear some successful stories, my 6yr old is a shocker, tried that horrible tasting nail varnish stuff & by the end of the day she told me she loved the taste of it!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I used to have this problem too! I got acrylic nails and that stopped me. I kept them short and coloured but they were so thick I couldn't actually bite them, nor did I want to as they cost so much money haha.

I did this for about 6 months then I was out of the habit. I still always paint my nails though which helps too I think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did the same as Anjalee, I got acrylic nails and that helped me stop. I chose a time when I would be really stressed (uni exams) and would usually bite them. Having the thicker acrylic nails which you can't bite stopped me doing it and then by the time I had the acrylics taken off I didn't have the habit anymore.

Now I try to keep a file with me and file my nails if they are annoying me rather than biting them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmm I actually had thought of that as I've had them before for weddings and stuff and thats the only time I haven't bitten my nails (due to physically not being able to haha) I may have to do that as a last resort!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Having braces has ended my nail chewing days...I am no longer able to do it!

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Subbing. I bite my nails so bad because of anxiety/nervousness. Although I don't think it's for that reason now because that was years and years ago, but more a habit these days. It's DP's pet peeve but I honestly just wont leave them alone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Try the acrylic nails...get your partner (if you have one!) to come up with a coded reminder word for 'you're chewing your nails again' (my Dad used to say to my Mum 40 years ago "the flowers in the garden are blooming" ~ but that's a bit longer than need be!), and keep in your mind's eye how nice your hands will look with beautiful, long nails! Good luck, nailbiting friends!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Acrylic nails trash ur natural nails tho. I had been a nail biter all my life.....i mean terrible till they were sore and sometimes bled. Now my nails are really nice. My tip - start taking care of them. Give urself manicures, put olive oil on them and paint them - no matter how short. I found putting time and effort into them and painting them stopped me from biting them

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub
    Last edited by ShanandBoc; 17-07-2012 at 06:41.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ShanandBoc For This Useful Post:

BaronessM  (20-07-2012)