View Poll Results: Are you fully up to date?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

30 66.67%
  • No

10 22.22%
  • Unsure

5 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    At the end of they day - and I'm sure we agree this isn't a good thing - we have to do the research ourselves. It is unfortunate, but it isn't any different than any of the other medications we get prescribed.

Quote Originally Posted by Refresh View Post
    And that's all I was saying. I just wish there was more education about it. It makes me uncomfortable.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (16-07-2012),Ffrenchknickers  (16-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    At the end of they day - and I'm sure we agree this isn't a good thing - we have to do the research ourselves. It is unfortunate, but it isn't any different than any of the other medications we get prescribed.
    Yep, and I was prescribed antibiotics once for asthma. Sometimes we can say no to doctors. Ventolin was needed, not antibiotics and I don't need a medical degree to know that.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (16-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Refresh View Post
    I don't think people who get it without knowing much about it are stupid. I think from the advertising it would be fairly easy to think it is a cancer vaccine. You hear it all the time.
    Yep. I think the general public aren't that informed or knowledgable about biology and viruses and abnormal cells and the development of cancer and all that stuff.
    So I can understand why it's been reduced to a "cancer vaccine" rather than "a vaccine against certain strains of a very common virus that can develop into cancer in some people".

I really didn't know anything about it when I got it at age 20 or so. It came as rather a shock when I had an abnormal pap caused by HPV 5 years later.
    I don't regret getting the shots but I think it was unfortunate that I wasn't better informed. But hey, that's the good part of getting old - you learn more every day!

To answer the OP though, I wouldn't have the slightest idea, so probably not. I had vaccinations in school but none in the last 15 years. I'd definitely look more into it (risks and benefits) before TTC next year though.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to deku For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (16-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    The only vax I've had in the last decade was the whooping cough one (which covers a few things in one yeah?) But otherwise no other immunizations. df is the same.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yes, requirement of DPs work and I got boosters before I went travelling (as well as a host of other vaccines).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Of course we can, I have refused anti bs twice this year!

Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    Yep, and I was prescribed antibiotics once for asthma. Sometimes we can say no to doctors. Ventolin was needed, not antibiotics and I don't need a medical degree to know that.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

share a book  (16-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm up to date, however my rubella immunity doesn't stay so I had three boosters in the last 10 years. Won't be having another on advice from GP

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We both are. I had full bloods done as part of pregnancy and ended up getting my chickenpox booster, and whooping cough booster once DD was born. I am up to date on all others. So is DH!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I always find it concerning when people are unsure. In certain lines of work we have to know, but I really think there is a massive lack of information out there other than the whooping cough booster over the last few years, and signs up for those about to leave or recently entered the country.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    TBH I wouldn't have a clue. Yep slack, I know considering I go on about adults should be up to date to protect out kids rather than pumping our babies full of a million vaccines! I have had the whooping cough and MMR boosters- I made sure of that, I had the 3 Hep B shots when I was about 10, and possibly a booster more recently, and various travel vaccines as an adult, but not sure if that makes me up to date? And I had chicken pox as a kid. No idea about my husband but hd gets the flu shot every year at work. I don't get the flu shot.

Does anyone have a link to what adults should/shouldn't have?