+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Baby Monitors

Hi
    I am confused with how many different baby monitors there are. How do I know what is good/bad, needed etc? please help

thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well we got the angelcare Movement and sound, it's pretty expensive, We paid 300 but I've seen them for 280. It's completely worth it! We can see what temperature it is in his room so no guessing based on weather I'm hot or cold and I don't feel the need to check on him all the time because if he stops breathing or his heartbeat stops an alarm goes off. You can also set it to go off (just the parents unit) if the room gets too hot or cold (you set the temperatures) which is great if we have a cold snap in the middle of the night.
    I read some reviews about false alarms, it's only happened to us once and I was in the room, you can change the sensitive though. Ours is so sensitive that if I put my hand on the cot railing it won't go off because it feels my pulse!
    There is a model than has video too but was 400 (it does have night vision though) I would have loved that model.
    Sorry to rant, but I think it's the only baby purchase I wouldn't change and it helped so much with not stressing in those first few weeks. It's great knowing he's fine as long as the alarm hasn't gone off. Oh and it can be set to be voice activated so it only makes noise when he cries, no static all the time. It seems to not go off if he chatters to himself but if he gets upset it does, this has really helped with him self settling as we only go in if the monitor starts transmitting sounds.

Sorry again for going on so long!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    I have an Oricom video monitor. It's great. Plays lullabies, shows temp of room, good quality picture on screen.

Have a think about whether you want just sound, video and sound or the breathing sensor. Look at reviews online, compare prices and see what will suit at your house best. For me I decided a video monitor as bubs room is upstairs and mine is down. Being able to see him saves me going up and down all night checking on him. Also handy now he's self settling more as I can see he's gone back to sleep.

Make sure you shop around and get the best deal (as monitors can be expensive).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

I had the Oricom 700 video monitor which was great till it became faulty. I had to buy 2 new battery packs and a new cradle within 8 months
    Then I turfed it and got the Roger Armstrong RA4500 video monitor.
    I love it! It has all the good things like lullabies, temperature sensor night mode, 2 way talk etc and it's great as it has a 200 range as appose to the 100 metres of the Oricom.

I think Target sell them for $199 but I brought mine online for $150.

Hope that helps.

Attached Images

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wishingmum View Post
    Well we got the angelcare Movement and sound, it's pretty expensive, We paid 300 but I've seen them for 280. It's completely worth it! We can see what temperature it is in his room so no guessing based on weather I'm hot or cold and I don't feel the need to check on him all the time because if he stops breathing or his heartbeat stops an alarm goes off. You can also set it to go off (just the parents unit) if the room gets too hot or cold (you set the temperatures) which is great if we have a cold snap in the middle of the night.
    I read some reviews about false alarms, it's only happened to us once and I was in the room, you can change the sensitive though. Ours is so sensitive that if I put my hand on the cot railing it won't go off because it feels my pulse!
    There is a model than has video too but was 400 (it does have night vision though) I would have loved that model.
    Sorry to rant, but I think it's the only baby purchase I wouldn't change and it helped so much with not stressing in those first few weeks. It's great knowing he's fine as long as the alarm hasn't gone off. Oh and it can be set to be voice activated so it only makes noise when he cries, no static all the time. It seems to not go off if he chatters to himself but if he gets upset it does, this has really helped with him self settling as we only go in if the monitor starts transmitting sounds.

Sorry again for going on so long!
    I second the angelcare monitor and all that wishingmum has mentioned (at the same time we don't have anything to compare it to)

We have the model with the video monitor which I find fantastic (and such a clear picture! I have so many photos of DD in weird positions on the monitor ) DD is very noisy when transitioning sleep cycles but I don't need to go into her room and check her every time she makes a noise

We have not yet had any false alarms (dd is 4mths) and I check it a couple of times a week to make sure its still 'sensing' movement ok. I was hesitant after hearing so much feedback about false alarms but you really do have to get the sensitivity just right.

I certainly love it and am glad we spent the money...

Sent from my HTC Liberty using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I Never worried about monitors with my first 3 daughters but DD4 was a belly sleeper so for peace of mind we got the angelcare sound,movement and video monitor. It is fantastic, highly recommend it if u are chasing a video and breathing monitor..