+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It would be good to know, how many peoples immunity wanes, that is another thing to take into consideration. I had a quick look, but I think the data is probably buried somewhere so I will have a look later.

Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I had to get a rubella booster before I had DS as my levels were below what they considered immune ( I was vaccinated at 13- so mine had worn off in 26 years) a few of my friends also had to get rubella before getting pregnant as well

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I know i am not up to date with whooping cough, i had my last one at 18 months old and mum was told that it was a life time thing.

I had a reaction, broke out in a welt rash all over my body, i found out you needed boosters when ds was 6 months old, i keep meaning to talk to a doctor about it and discuss my best choices but a)i i dont have 80$ + to spend on nothing and b) getting into a doctor here is almost impossible.

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemmi View Post
    I know i am not up to date with whooping cough, i had my last one at 18 months old and mum was told that it was a life time thing.

I had a reaction, broke out in a welt rash all over my body, i found out you needed boosters when ds was 6 months old, i keep meaning to talk to a doctor about it and discuss my best choices but a)i i dont have 80$ + to spend on nothing and b) getting into a doctor here is almost impossible.

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub
    My DH just had his, it was free.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

GuestMember  (16-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I would assume, unlike with kids as there is an immunisation register , they don't record adult boosters? I'll check with my GP next time but when DH and I had the pertussis booster 2 years ago we were never asked to sign anything and as it was free at the time we never paid anything
    There would be a record of it on your medicare file, plus on the PBS. The govt subsidises most of our medications and vaxxes so it has to be accounted for somewhere.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'd be interested to know how long immunity lasts for in the average person, for each disease. Obviously whooping cough immunity wanes after some years.

But yes, I do think herd immunity exists. Otherwise we would be overrun with diphtheria, measles, mumps, rubella, hib pneumonia, etc etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know when I was tested during pregnancy, I had no immunity to Hep B and a few other things. I had whooping cough booster done when DS got his.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had the whooping cough booster in 2009 and was told it was good for 10 years. The one before that was in 1998 so I was told I was due for it. Hep B was in 2003. Tetanus I was told was life long once you have it 3 times which I have. The shot, not actual tetanus.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hrmm, Beebs, i'm not sure that vaccinations are "for life" (Pertussis aside), as far as i'm aware ANY vaccine can 'wear off' and become less effective over time. At least, that's my understanding, I could be wrong.

Personally, i've had my Pertussis booster (think is was Boostrix), i'm still immune to Rubella, but i'm unsure as to if this is due to the vaccine or natural immunity (I was exposed to it as a young child, but never displayed symptoms). Everything else i'm unsure of, oh though I did have a Meningococcal (C I think) vaccine when I was 18, so 9 years ago. I intend to have the Varicella vaccine myself too when i'm no longer breastfeeding as I haven't have Chicken Pox and am unsure if I have natural immunity or not (exposed a few times as a child, never never displayed symptoms). I'm also considering the MMR, despite being fine for Rubella, i've also never had Mumps or Measles (exposed to Measles, again displayed no symptoms, so could have natural immunity).

But before I have any vaccination, I plan to get my titre levels checked, to see what i'm immune to and what I am not, and go from there. All in an effort to help protect myself, my children and contribute to herd immunity.

See, while i'm not comfortable with giving my *children* all vaccines at the ages the schedule recommends, i'm fine with loading myself up

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lillynix For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (16-07-2012),PR2bMum  (30-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Before TTC I needed a rubella top up (like E's mum it had been nearly 30 years since my teenage vax). Exactly a year after that new vax I fell pregnant again and my rubella levels came back as still almost negligible. I had another pertussis jab just on Saturday. Sometimes, for whatever reason, some vaxes just don't 'take' for some people.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The CDC says that it does last a lifetime, except in those 5% of people.
    http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/...c-in-short.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Lillynix View Post
    Hrmm, Beebs, i'm not sure that vaccinations are "for life" (Pertussis aside), as far as i'm aware ANY vaccine can 'wear off' and become less effective over time. At least, that's my understanding, I could be wrong.

Personally, i've had my Pertussis booster (think is was Boostrix), i'm still immune to Rubella, but i'm unsure as to if this is due to the vaccine or natural immunity (I was exposed to it as a young child, but never displayed symptoms). Everything else i'm unsure of, oh though I did have a Meningococcal (C I think) vaccine when I was 18, so 9 years ago. I intend to have the Varicella vaccine myself too when i'm no longer breastfeeding as I haven't have Chicken Pox and am unsure if I have natural immunity or not (exposed a few times as a child, never never displayed symptoms). I'm also considering the MMR, despite being fine for Rubella, i've also never had Mumps or Measles (exposed to Measles, again displayed no symptoms, so could have natural immunity).

But before I have any vaccination, I plan to get my titre levels checked, to see what i'm immune to and what I am not, and go from there. All in an effort to help protect myself, my children and contribute to herd immunity.

See, while i'm not comfortable with giving my *children* all vaccines at the ages the schedule recommends, i'm fine with loading myself up

13. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Lillynix  (16-07-2012)