+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Herd immunity - does it still exist?

I was just thinking about all the recent threads and that we all seemed to agree most adult vaccinations/boosters are not up to date plus the stats show over 70-80% of people contracting VPD are over the age of 10, so how can herd immunity exist ( in adults anyway) if most are not immunised? (especially with the newer vaccines like Hep b, chicken pox, meningococcal and rotavirus only introduced in the last decade)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Have you got the link to those figures?

I know that whooping cough that is about right - most people are over the age of ten who catch it, and that is because immunity for whooping cough if you catch it or have a vax for it is between 5-9 years. Such an evil disease.

I don't think we have reached the goals in any of the VPDs yet - because as you say lots of adults haven't been vaxxed. And there is a trend not to get babies vaccinated. Also- some areas are very well covered, and some have terrible rates of vaccinations, which start the disease outbreaks again - think northern rivers and whooping cough.

Until we can get to a point where these figures are achievable across the board, not just pockets which is what it is now.

Diphtheria 85%
    Measles 83 - 94%
    Mumps 75 - 86%
    Pertussis 92- 94%
    Polio 80 - 86%
    Rubella 80 - 85%

Then I don't think we will see any obvious changes

But we know it works - because of smallpox eradication.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

~ElectricPink~  (16-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think there is a mistaken assumption that adults do not get vaccinated. I totally agree that adults need to be reminded and encouraged to get vaccinated, and I'd love to see the government do such an advertising campaign.
    However, take me for example. I have a nursing/healthcare background. So my Hepatitis shots have always been up to date, as well as flu shots, rubella, TB etc. A good friend of mine caught the travel bug in her 20's and took off through south east asia. Accordingly, she had her shots for hepatitis (as well as typhoid, rabies, Malaria etc). Many people who have traveled even a little bit (say a Bali holiday) will have had their hep shots. Their is a website (http://www.myvaccination.com.au/) that advises people what shots they need depending on where they are going.
    Travelers and healthcare workers aside, some people are vigilant with such things either due to their jobs (childcare workers, social workers in areas like drug rehab etc, police, soldiers etc) or due to a personal sense that they should ensure they are vaccinated. I believe we still have herd immunity in Australia. But I also believe more education is needed to improve and then maintain the level we have.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

peoniesarepretty  (16-07-2012),~ElectricPink~  (16-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    http://www9.health.gov.au/cda/Source/Rpt_5_sel.cfm
    Just look up the disease and it gives you stats ( this is this year) mumps is the worst with over 80% of people over the age of 20 getting it!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

beebs  (16-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    http://www9.health.gov.au/cda/Source/Rpt_5_sel.cfm
    Just look up the disease and it gives you stats ( this is this year) mumps is the worst with over 80% of people over the age of 20 getting it!
    I'm not sure if you realise but the way you worded that sounds like 80% of all people over 20 have had mumps this year, when I think you mean that of the 110 reported cases, over 80% of those people have been over age 20. So about 95 people aged over 20 this year have had mumps. Just to clarify.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

peoniesarepretty  (16-07-2012),~ElectricPink~  (16-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subbing

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    I'm not sure if you realise but the way you worded that sounds like 80% of all people over 20 have had mumps this year, when I think you mean that of the 110 reported cases, over 80% of those people have been over age 20. So about 95 people aged over 20 this year have had mumps. Just to clarify.
    Sorry , yes that's what I mean!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (16-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do believe that herd immunity works,
    the lowered rates overall of vpd's sort of proves that it works,

I find the mumps stats very interesting, you see an increase in the 30-34 range,I *think* from memory the govt pushed a big vaccination schedule for mmr in 98/99 so the age range that has the most reports this year have just missed that push? also the elderly have a lower infection rate which I guess can be contributed to contraction of the disease in childhood?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    And don't forget that vaxxes are around 95% effective in that 5% of people who get the jab will still get the diseases. So really 110 people out of 20 million. That is still pretty good if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemmi View Post
    I do believe that herd immunity works,
    the lowered rates overall of vpd's sort of proves that it works,

I find the mumps stats very interesting, you see an increase in the 30-34 range,I *think* from memory the govt pushed a big vaccination schedule for mmr in 98/99 so the age range that has the most reports this year have just missed that push? also the elderly have a lower infection rate which I guess can be contributed to contraction of the disease in childhood?

Thanks
    Reviews
    pertussis is an interesting one, the original dtp vaccine was introduced in 1953 and we now do at 2, 4 and 6 months and then again at 4 years yet there is only 14 more cases for those either not vaxx'd or not fully vaxxed comparable with those in the 5-9 range who in theory should be fully vaxx'd,

10-14 the rates drop dramatically by 200 cases this year and then the 15 - 19 range drop again to only 188 cases,

Why are those contracting it the most freshly immunised or only partly / not immunised? shouldnt there be a big drop between those NOT or only partially immunised and those who are over 5 and have recieved the whole thing?