+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default The first 24 hours after c-section

Hi everyone- quick question about the 24 hours after a c section....
    If you don't normally get out of bed till the next day (after surgery), how much do u bleed?? I can only imagine getting up for the first time and having so much blood rush out...?? Tmi I know, but I need to prepare myself. I'm having a c section. Also, do u wear big pads during the surgery to catch all this when u do get up?

Hope someone can shed a light on this for me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I replied to you in another tread, but I'll re type it, the midwives look after you in the first 24 hours whilst you at in bed, this includes changing your pads, for me they also checked my bleeding at hourly obs, when I got out of bed there was no gush it was more just a gravity thing like when you have a normal period, once you are up and out of bed then you change your pad yourself but the nurses ask you about your flow/bleeding, as for surgery, I'm not sure what they did during the actual surgery but in recovery afterwards they put a pad on you and check your bleeding.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Abi&Beth For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (16-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Nurses looked after me on the ward and in Recovery but in the actually surgery (I have a blood condition so this will probably won't happen to you) I remember the blood hitting the floor, but from memory I think they put this thing called a bluey under you To catch the blood.

Now remember I have a blood condition so I bleed a lot during surgery so the blood hitting the floor thing probably won't happen to you.

I hope someone can give the answer

Thanks
    Reviews
    I barely bled at all after mine. I got away with light pads the whole time.

Before surgery they popped a pad between my legs because my waters were leaking. I guess they put a clean one on afterwards and they changed it a few times until I got up

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    Varies from person to person. As others have said the nurses check on your bleeding, change pads until you are able to get up, then you change your pads yourself.

When I got up for the first time the nurse warned me that I might have a gush of blood come out (just from gravity and because I'd been lying down for so long). I did feel a bit of a gush and there was a bit on the floor. I'm so glad she warned me though or I would have freaked out!

Oh and during the surgery you aren't even aware of the bleeding or what's going on behind the curtain. You are so focused on meeting your baby that you don't really pay attention to what all the nurses and doctor is doing! I had placenta previa so was warned that I may bleed quite a lot. I wasn't aware of it happening until they had to prick my ear to try and get some blood to check my levels. Later on DH told me that there was blood all over the floor. Lucky he isn't squeamish!
    Last edited by summastarlet; 16-07-2012 at 08:51.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subscribing as I am booked in for my first c section too Hi, Angenrod, I am in August group- hope you are well

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was in bed for two days after mine (had a catheter in fir two days, sorry if tmi).

The nurses came every couple of hours & changed my pad etc for me while I was lying down, so I didn't actually realise how much I was bleeding til I got out of bed on day three.

The first time i stood up after they removed the catheter, the nurse helped me to the bathroom & warned me about a gush of blood due to gravity. It went on the floor, but by the time I'd finished in the bathroom she'd cleaned it up & put fresh sheets on the bed, so thankfully I didn't have to see that!

I bled HEAPS. I was expecting something like a regular period, but it was way worse - it gushed for weeks after. Just warning you in case you are the same!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was in bed for 24 hours for both my c-secs and like PPs, the midwife changed the pads every couple of hours. I had a little bit of a gush when I stood up but nothing major and I still had a pad between my legs (held in place by my generous thighs....). I had pretty minimal blood loss. I bled like I had a light period for about 10 days after my first & now, 9 days after my second, the bleeding has pretty much stopped.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My first caesar I had a massive amount (pph), so it is good that the nurses check/change your pads. 2nd caesar I had a drain put in- a tube under my incision site which drained blood. I barely bled at all though still had a pad. First time I got up with the mw assistance I just took the bluey absorbent sheet with me- I barely bled though. I thik I only had the drain because of my previous pph so I wouldn't expect one without a reason.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was given a drip with oxytocin. This gave me some painful contractions in my uterus, but it helped slow down the bleeding.
    After the drip finished (only took about an hour), I barely bled.
    They do encourage you to get on your feet ASAP. They got me walking to the shower and nursery 12 hours after the c/s.