+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Cranky 11 month old boy

My second child is now 11 months old. He is very different to my first. Where my first had a dummy (his choice from 2 days old lol.....and still has it at 3), my second child is a thumb sucker and never wanted or would take a dummy. My first child when he woke during the night, a cuddle and rock would send him back to sleep, if sick he wanted to be cuddled upright and we would just sleep with him on the rocking chair. yes....some very long nights. My 11 month old, hmmm when he wakes up during the night, I go through the motions, check nappy, smell breath for teething smells etc, medijel or teething relief if needed, burped etc, but he just is out for a play. Tonight my husband is away at work and bub wakes up at 12pm, as usual I went to him to try to settle him, but with no luck. I was so frustrated after 45 minutes of trying to settle him and every time I pick him up, the crying stops, as soon as I put him back in his cot, he starts screaming. I would bring him into my bed and cuddle but he just thinks it's play time. So tonight I tried something different and I let him scream it out. It took an hour and 15 minutes. (I made my peace that if he woke up my 3 year old I would just have to deal with that too) I stood outside his door and just waited. I knew it was just temper, but that was a very long hour and I was so incredibly tempted to go in, because it just breaks my heart. But my soothing just isn't working, it's prolonging it. But right now, he's back asleep, I'm absolutely awake and I just feel awful. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the choice I made to get him to settle himself in this way. P.S. he still has 2 sleeps during the day and has always been a self settler for all of his sleeps. Mostly we have had no problem with that. I have followed the advice in the Tizzy Hall books and he is on the 11 month old routine and doing well in all other aspects. Any thoughts or advice or encouragement would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Poor bub... I think he's far too young to be left to cry for over an hour...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would never let any child cry for over an hour, sorry! Im sure some ladies might have some other ideas u can try as i was blessed with a good sleeper but please dont lets bubs cry it out like that it can psycologically damage them All the best.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is he still breast or bottle fed? Did you offer him a feed? My boys always wake up wanting to play when they are teething, it hurts them to lie down so when they get up they feel good.

Sorry but I wouldn't let an 11 month old cry it out like that either...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have just gone through a similar experience with my DS - he's 10months and went from waking twice a night to feed and resettling quickly to waking wanting to play!

Feeding him back to sleep wouldn't work and patting/sshhing etc would only aggravate him ( he's also not a cuddly chap so rocking wouldn't work). I was at a loss and spending so much time trying to get him to sleep, I thought i'ld try letting him have the play he so desperately wanted (I mean, I was awake anyway!). So if he woke and wouldn't resettle, we would have a crawl, a play, a story and about an hour later he would happily go back to sleep.

After about 1-2 weeks of this he is now back to his usual 2 feeds a night. For my DS I think he just had so much going on - learning to balance/walk, talk etc that he needed to do something to let his mind rest....maybe you baby is similar?

Anyway, wish you all the best and fingers crossed you can get it sorted - it is no fun being over tired! :-)