+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default help with sinus infection

i have a sinus infection, and it is a really bad one. im 19 weeks pregnant and was told to take ''fess'' saline. well im on my 2nd large bottle and it hasn't done a thing of course. my face literally hurts, my cheekbones, eyesockets, nose, my head is pounding, im not sleeping, even my top teeth feel somewhat weird. can anybody help with anything at all???? i am feeling a bit desperate after not sleeping for the last 2 nights and this pain in my face is just eye boggling.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe try a sinus rinse/netti pot?
    I used it a few times while pg and now while bf as its pretty much all we can do.
    It will give some relief and may help wash away the area of infection.
    The whole squirting water up my nose till it comes out the other nostril terrified me but if you aim your head right there is next to no discomfort and it is somewhat soothing.
    Good luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to megs legs For This Useful Post:

GlitterFarts  (16-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks for that, will give it a try. the thought of doing it terrifies me. lol. but i suppose if i feel better, why not?!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to GlitterFarts For This Useful Post:

Sarahelise  (16-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had a bad one when I was preggers and the only thing that cleared it up was antibiotics.. Bubby very healthy

Thanks
    Reviews
    I get constant sinus infections. 3-4 times every year (well up until the beginning of last year, somehow they've gone away)

When I was pregnant with DD, I had beconaise (told by OB, GP and pharmacist it is safe in pregnancy), also polaramine (over the counter) for night time (if you don't have other kids as it does make you sleepy). Polaramine is an antihistamine, it helped clear things up, helped me breathe over night and also since I was getting a good sleep, I got better.

Also I almost lived on berocca. Stuff is amazing.

Hooe you get better soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a sinus infection recently and the gp gave me antibiotics which are safe during pregnancy. Otherwise he just said to steam my sinuses (lean over a bowl with hot water and a couple of drops of eucalyptus oil and breathe in). I also took panadol and kept my nose as empty as possible. Sinus infections are awful! I hope you feel better soon

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've had sinus problems for years. I need to use a steroid nasal spray daily - mine is called avamys and if I get an infection I need antibiotics - there are plenty that are safe during pregnancy. I have continued using my nasal spray throughout both pregnancies on dr's advice.

I also find drinking white tea helps (it's like green tea)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You poor thing! I got them constantly throughout both pregnancies and had to take antibiotics and I've got two beautiful healthy kids.

Saline nasal sprays are p!ssweak - what you want is the bottle kind you fill yourself with warm saline solution and then squirt with god-almighty force to get that foul snot out!

I took Yakult every day (because good health begins in your gut!), took garlic capsules and cooked with a tonne of the stuff, drank V8 juice and tried to get as much rest as I could. Take Panadol if the pain gets too bad.

Just hang in there and don't be afraid to go to your GP - last thing you want is for the infection to spread or get worse and then need stronger drugs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh you poor thing, I'm not pregnant but had my first sinus infection last month and that was horrendous. I ended up on antibiiotics, I could hardly move from the pain in my head and the teeth aching was beyond belief. Hope you get better soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I get these regularly more so when not preggers. Now that I am I have only had one really bad bout and totally agree with the bottle kind that you squirt, do that twice a day. I was also steaming my sinuses this helps so much too. Takes a few days to clear up but you feel some pressure release each time.

I also suffer from cronic facial pain and find that when my sinuses are really bad by massaging the corners of you jaw can help too. under your ears so that when you open your mouth you can feel the opening. Do it with your mouth shut though. Sounds weird I know but It seems to help my sinus pain.
    Otherwise get to the doc!