+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Question about 5 month olds

It seems that my 5 mo old has decided to ask for 'room service' again after sleeping right through from 8pm at 10 weeks! So I ask:

- how many night feeds does your 5 mo have (and times)
    -has their night feed pattern changed over the last month or two?
    -do they cry in the night and resettle with a pat/dummy?
    -how many solid meals per day (if introduced)
    -if he/she was wrapped as a newborn are they still wrapped? Are you weaning off?

THANKS!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS is 4.5 months. He'll be 5 months on the 28tg.

One. He feeds at 6:30pm and then will either feed at 10:30pm and sleep through till 6:30am or he will feed at 3am and then 7am.

Yes. He's only just dropped to one feed a night. Before that he was still feeding 4 hourly.

Yes. Unless its around the above mentioned feed times.

Only just started today. Two teaspoons once a day.

-if he/she was wrapped as a newborn are they still wrapped? Are you weaning off?

He was wrapped as a newborn, then moved to a sleeping bag with sleepy wings and now he sleeps in a sleeping bag with his arms free.

HTH

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks

Bump

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    My DS is eight months but I'll try to think back for you! He did the same thing, started sleeping through at 8 weeks but since then it's been very hit and miss. It's normal for sleeping patterns to change, not that it makes it easy when they've been sleeping through and suddenly change their minds!

Between two and three. Down at 7pm after a feed, up at 10, 1 and 4. Sometimes he would sleep through the 1am feed. When he got to 6 and a half months I cut out the 1am feed.

Yes, he was sleeping through, 7-6 if we were really lucky, but generally 10-6.

Not really, DS would usually only wake if he was hungry. If I'd fed him and he wasn't settling we'd cuddle to sleep.

Two - mid morning and late afternoon. A bit hit and miss. I'm not a believer in the view that they will sleep better when solids are introduced. Milk has more calories, so if you're hoping solids might make a difference, don't get your heart set on it. They might, they might not.

DS was wrapped as a newborn and then we moved him into a swaddle. Between five and six months we moved him into a sleeveless sleeping bag as he was starting to roll. We never had any problems transitioning from wrap to swaddle to bag, but then we also never had any problems moving him from cradle to cot, he's pretty laid back.

Once he learned to roll though, he would wake himself up, so for a few weeks I'd tuck a folded up cot sheet across his chest/tummy to keep him on his back. Now he's a tummy sleeper - as soon as I put him in the cot he rolls straight over and pops his bum up in the air.

At eight months he is still waking twice a night, with the odd 12 hour sleep thrown in to continue giving me hope!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My little girl is at the same age as ur baby. We had her sleeping in our room next to us and was waking up every 3-4 hrs. A midwife told me to move her into her own room as she should only be having 1 feed during the night, 2 at most.
    So we moved her in to her room and she only needed the one feed. It was amazing. She goes down between 9-10 and sleeps till 2-3 and wakes again at 7-8.
    We have wrapped her as a newborn and we brought the swaddled too. They are meant to suck their hands to help them go back to sleep. We are still wrapping her but not so tight and leaving the arms slightly free. Just doing it gradually so we can then out her into sleeping bags.
    We thought our baby wasn't a very good sleep and it turned out us snoring was waking her during the night.
    Hope that was helpful

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd is 5 months and i have seen some changes in her sleep pattern. She normally sttn but lately very hard to settle when going to bed.

She normally sleeps around 6:30pm-5am (on occasion sleeps til 6am). If she does wake earlier for a feed its about 4am then back to sleep by 5.
    Her pattern has changed in the last few weeks. Had it down to a fine art of nursing, putting her in the cot & she'd be out for the night. Lately she wakes up crying not long after going to sleep or really fights going to sleep in the first place.
    If she does wake crying i can usually settle her with a dummy & patting but may take a while. If its early in the morning though, its feed time.
    We havent started solids yet but thinking of trying very soon.
    She was swaddled until 3 months. Decided it was time when she started busting out of the blankie during the night. Went cold turkey, putting her in a sleeping bag with long sleeves, had a few nights of her waking herself up. Then she got the hang of it and went to sleep arms out. That was a good moment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for replies

Thanks
    Reviews
    • How many night feeds does your 5 month have (and times)?
    0. She started sleeping through around a month ago.
    • Has their night feed pattern changed over the last month or two?
    Yes. She started sleeping through.
    • Do they cry in the night and resettle with a pat/dummy?
    Once or twice i've put her dummy back in at about 5am which give us another hour. But generally no.
    • How many solid meals per day (if introduced)?
    Started solids yesterday, she has only had farex so far for brekky (and looovees it!)
    • If he/she was wrapped as a newborn are they still wrapped? Are you weaning off?
    Wrapped every night until she rolled at 3.5 months. We then moved to a sleeping bag and she has only rolled twice since haha.

Hope this helps x
    Last edited by labellavita; 16-07-2012 at 17:07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD is 5 months old today

None.. Hasn't for a while, there might be a rare occasion once every couple of weeks where she will have a 2am feed if she won't resettle, and it is usually when she hasn't had as many bottles during the day.. I think the overnight feed is more of a comfort feed, and yeah, happens once very couple of weeks. She normally sleeps from about 7ish till 7ish, give or take.

No, for the past 2 or so months she hasn't woken for night feeds

-do they cry in the night and resettle with a pat/dummy? Most nights she will sleep through but sometimes (1-2 times a week) will wake and not be able to settle herself which is when I will go in and give her her dummy

One, at dinner time. 2ice cubes worth of a certain vegetable

Was wrapped as a newborn but hasn't been wrapped since about 2-3 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DS is 16mths now, but at about 9mths started waking at night after sleeping right through from 4mths, thought it was just teething, until we pushed dinner back an hour, and then he stopped waking at night!