+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Has anyone had to replace the ignition switch/barrel in their car?

Last month, the key wouldn't turn in the car. The RACQ eventually towed it to an auto electrician who said that the barrel had failed (a pin falls down or something to that effect or they get worn over time). As it has the newer type keys (1998 model), they ordered a new barrel and two new keys and installed it.

I was relaying this to my dad today, and he smugly told me that his key (an older style key (1990), ie. not a programmed key) had got stuck in the ignition, and he had taken it to a locksmith, who replaced the barrel for $40 and that I got ripped off.

My dad's claims are often implausible, and I'm thinking he must be talking about something different?

Has anybody else had a failed barrel where they needed a new barrel and keys? How much did it cost? Was it a new type of key or an old one?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Older keys and barrels are much cheaper. The ones with no chip in the key.

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Replacing the barrel or components on an old car with no immobiliser chip in the key is absolutely cheaper. Almost nothing.

Unfortunately if you get an issue these days you need new keys and the new ignition barrel.

Haven't touchwood needed to replace one in a newer car. However I have replaced one in an older car and it was next to nothing in cost.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have had this replaced in a 1996 model car, it had to be done at the auto electricians and cost around $200 from memory so I don't think you have been ripped off . This was about three years ago and there have been no troubles with it since.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My 95 model commodore had its ignition barrell replaced. I was quoted hundreds from an auto electrician, but only paid half for a locksmith to do it for me. I have no idea if mine has a chip in it or not, but it is a keyless entry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It cost me $470 to get the ignition barrel changed in a 2002 Holden Astra.