+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Newborn won't sleep during the day!

I have a 5 week old who for the past 3 days stays awake all day, falls asleep after 7:00pm at night until about 3:00am, has a feed then wakes about 2-3 hours after that, and unless I bring her into our bed for a bit of a sleep in is ready to start the day. I thought she was sick but I am now wondering. If I try to get her to sleep during the day I might get max 20min on one occasion before she wakes up again. I love the big block at night but the constant attention during the day is driving me nuts!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My ds is 8 months and is a fantastic sleeper over night (usually 7pm - 8:30 am with 1-2 feeds) and so he really doesn't need that much sleep during the day...he only ever has 30 min power naps 2-3 of them). I just had to get used to it

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a bit of a non-sleeper too. My 10mnth old has always been great overnight, sleeping through from very early on, but during the day is a whole other story!! At first she did not sleep much at all during the day (like you have described) I tried 'teaching' her to sleep but it was a screamfest, I would wrap her and rock her and pat her, etc, sometimes she would eventually doze off but then wake up 10mins later cause it was time for her next feed and she was hungry ...I gave up after 2 weeks cause I was a mess and hated hearing her scream all the time. I resigned myself to the fact that my baby just didn't need daytime sleep and if I let her stay awake then we could have fun and play all day (as opposed to distressing her and myself trying to get her to sleep)

...but then as she got a bit older and started doing more things she did begin to need a bit of sleep during the day. Not much, sometimes we'll get 15 mins and sometimes an hour! She will sleep for longer if I hold her or she is in the car - but this isn't always possible/ideal!
    I would recommend getting some sort of baby carrier/wrap/sling if you don't already have one. I have an Ergo and it has been the best thing ever. I can pop bub in there and carry her around while I'm doing stuff around the house or doing the shopping or go for a walk, etc. A lot of the time she will have a sleep like this and even if she doesn't then she is happy enough just being 'held' in the carrier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    She just slept 10 hours, and after a quick feed on one side I've put her down for some more! I doubt very much she is going to be keen on any sleep today. NannyJulie I have a carrier and she will have a sleep if I have her in it while shopping or going for a walk, but if I have her in it while doing things around the house she gets over it fairly quickly, she wants me to be constantly on the move. Even when I had her in Woolies yesterday she woke up complaining because I was taking too long to choose a smoke alarm to buy and was standing still .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellymoe View Post
    She just slept 10 hours, and after a quick feed on one side I've put her down for some more! I doubt very much she is going to be keen on any sleep today. NannyJulie I have a carrier and she will have a sleep if I have her in it while shopping or going for a walk, but if I have her in it while doing things around the house she gets over it fairly quickly, she wants me to be constantly on the move. Even when I had her in Woolies yesterday she woke up complaining because I was taking too long to choose a smoke alarm to buy and was standing still .
    Really normal. My DD1 only did daytime sleeps in the car/pram/carrier till 6mths whilst in motion. So it was carrier/pram mostly till then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I could have written this exactly. Even the point where you have to bring her into bed with you in the mining foran extra hours sleep. She's almost 7 months now and she still comes in to bed in the morning.
    When she was smaller she used to have about 4 lil sleeps either in the car pram or me holding her.
    I just accepted the fact she wasn't much of a day sleeper and tried not to stress so much which made life a lil easier, but I understand about the constant attention she is still like this a little but will have a play on the floor by herself now and then each day.
    The carrier is probably the best option at the moment if you need to get stuff done but I think once she gets older you will hopefully find she will sleep a little longer during the day. My DD now has a 40 min nap in the morning and about 1hr 1/2 in the arvo.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good to know I'm not the only one . Have been using the carrier but can't really do tasks which involve things like dealing with boiling water etc in case I have an accident, so getting a chance to cook is a bit of a challenge! I do love that she goes to bed the same time every night though

Thanks
    Reviews
    my DD is almost 2 years old now but when she was a newborn she had a weird sleeping routine. you have to adjust with it for a few months. they usually fix it themselves.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When bub is a little older you will be able to wear on your back which helps at cooking time.