+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    We asked that close family have their WC boosters and everyone complied.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hamilicious For This Useful Post:

CRCR  (16-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I didn't have to demand, I just told immediate family that it's in best interest of bub, and they all did it willingly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just be aware that the free program for parents and grandparents has officially ended in Qld - a friend of mine only found out about it the day before and couldn't get it in time :-(

http://access.health.qld.gov.au/hid/...isation_ap.asp

ETA - it ended 30 June 2012.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CRCR View Post
    Hi all

Was wondering if any one is demanding that all immediate family members that are going to ge around bub a lot get vaccinated for whooping cough?

I'm just wanting to know what the risks are, are they high?!

Sent from my HTC Velocity 4G using BubHub
    Nope. We are just vigilant in terms of not being around people who are sick or who have/had a cough/sniffle recently. Grandparents are coming out from the UK and the vaccine is not readily available there anyway.

There are risks of course but the vaccine is by no means fail safe anyway. I've also taken bubs out and about as I cannot bear to be housebound but I know some who choose not to leave the house until bubs is 6 weeks old. Each to their own but it's not for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    My parents, sister and her fiancé all got the vaccine done. I only had to mention it once and they all had it done. DH also had it and I had mine the day after DS was born in hospital. A lot of our other family and friends already had it done due to their own young children.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, just read the qld health site myself about the free vaccination program ending

I think ill just wait until bub is 6 weeks old and can he vaccinated itself before letting ppl near who aren't vaccinated and/or gave a sniff/cough, etc...

Thanks all :thumbup:
    Sent from my HTC Velocity 4G using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I asked - though didn't demand - that my parents, sister & brother in law get theirs. My parents have had theirs, and my sister & brother in law are going to get theirs soon. All were happy to comply.

I'm a little more concerned about my partner's family, and he hasn't asked any of them yet.

His mum used to be very much against vaccinations, although I don't think she has any problems with them now. I don't think she'll be interested unless we pay for it though - which is fine. Her daughter is 9, and so would get her booster for free next year...but at her age the immunity has quite likely worn off anyway so not sure what's happening there.

His dad, dad's partner and their 2 daughters I'm most concerned about. They live interstate, so they won't be seeing the baby much.... but they live around Byron Bay and are coming to stay with us when the baby will probably be a few weeks old. Vax rates where they live are low, especially amongst the people they associate with/where the kids go to school etc. We don't know whether their kids are vaccinated or whether they're willing to get the vaccination. Just wish my partner would hurry up and ask them :P

Thanks
    Reviews
    I understand what you mean as in, where do you draw the line with that.

For us, my husband and parents will be vaccinated as they have gone about organising this themselves as they know that its important for them to be as they will be spending most time with baby other than myself. My sister has already had it from when she had her baby not that long ago and anyone else visiting in hospital which will only be a few close friends are fine not to be vaccinated IMHO because they are only just meeting bub not going to be around her a lot and we will just be careful, only thing you can really do well we think anyway as they can't have the vaccine in so long and naturally there will be people wanting to see her before then.

We're going to make sure no one with any sickness symptoms goes near her or visits us and everyone that does come and visit can wash their hands before having a hold etc. If taking bub out, my parents always used to ask strangers nicely not to touch her if they looked like they were going to as some people just can't help themselves with a new baby even though I think thats a bit of an invasion of space