+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default New Zealand ski recommendations

We're looking at going to NZ for a week to stay at a snow field. (Me, DH and DD who is 2).

We're not looking at a die-hard ski holiday - more a family thing, where we can have some fun in the snow, and do sledding/ toboganning, etc. as well as a bit of skiing/ boarding.

I'm from England, and am a bit more familiar with the slopes in Europe (not close-up pro familiar - just aware of the kind of thing that's there), so I'm not sure where to look in NZ.

What we're after is to be able to stay on the slopes (chalet style) or very close (but ideally on), in some kind of ski village. A lot of the European ones have lovely ski villages with shops, restaurants, all the apres ski stuff, as well as the chalets/ cabins you stay in.

Any recommendations? I've been looking through websites, and am a bit lost for where to start, and what has that kind of 'feel' I'm after. Hope that all made sense! Not sure I explained it fantastically...

(Not too worried about cost, but probably more toward the 'nice' or luxury end than the backpacker/ 'student' end of what's available).

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    From my understanding, you can't stay on the ski fields in NZ- all national parks. But we went to Queenstown 2 years ago, 20 mins to the closest ski field, but plenty of others around as well that aren't much further. Beautiful place, great skiing, family friendly. One of the best holidays I have ever been on! We booked a package through STA travel, it was fantastic. And we aren't "package holiday" type of people.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nicpic For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (15-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I agree with what Nicpic said

I have been to Queenstown and stayed there and drove to Coronet Peak and skied up there.

If you want to stay in a village then Falls Creek is wonderful! There are no cars within the village apart from shuttle and snow mobile things.

Love Falls Creek actually more than going to New Zealand to ski.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PomPoms For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (15-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just got back from
    A nz ski holiday last week! I recommend queenstown. There are 3 ski fields near by (Coronet peAk, reamarkables and cadrona) that are around 30 min or so to drive to if u stay in queenstown itself. Heaps of accommodation in town and nice too. There is lots of touristy stuff like putt putt, puzzle world (hour drive away), gondola, luge, cinema, plenty of restaurants, ski tubing etc etc. u will love it! Good luck

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PinkIsTheNewBlack For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (15-07-2012)