+ Reply to Thread

Default help my cousin - changing 19 yr old's first name?

ok my cousin is 19 yrs old and male. his name is "Antoine" but most call him "Anton" and he prefers it like that cuz it's easy to spell. he says it's just annoying that he has to repronounce his name whenever somebody tries to say it, "Is Antonie there?", "Is Antown there?"...... "Just call me Anton!"

Would it be worth it for him to officially change it...? Because Anton and Antoine is from the same origin and sounds similar... But he still spells his name Antoine for registration documents and such... Could he just write Anton? And get away with it?
    Also, I believe if someone has a name that is easy to pronounce, it will be beneficial in terms of career and job oppurtunities, as employers may prefer common-easy to pronounce names than foreign names.

Antoine is a really common french name though, but not very common in Australia.

He has no middle name. And he is half french (hence the name) half asian.
    Last edited by cyberdude; 15-07-2012 at 17:51.

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think he would need to change it by deed poll - get him to contact Births, Deaths and Marriages in his state and talk to them about it. There may even be a form he can download from the website and just send it off.

I wouldn't think it would be legal for him to just write 'Anton' as that isn't his legal name.

he can use Anton as common usage like a nickname but for any legal forms he legal birth name (what is on his birth certificate) will have to be used.

If he is wanting Anton to be used for legal usage such as passport, drivers license, show on a marriage certificate then he will have to formally change with BDM in the state he was born. This can be fairly expensive (QLD is now $150) and take a while to be processed.

As PP stated check with BDM of his birth state for the process. Most have forms on the website to be printed and posted away.