+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2012

    Default help my cousin - changing 19 yr old's first name?

    ok my cousin is 19 yrs old and male. his name is "Antoine" but most call him "Anton" and he prefers it like that cuz it's easy to spell. he says it's just annoying that he has to repronounce his name whenever somebody tries to say it, "Is Antonie there?", "Is Antown there?"...... "Just call me Anton!"

    Would it be worth it for him to officially change it...? Because Anton and Antoine is from the same origin and sounds similar... But he still spells his name Antoine for registration documents and such... Could he just write Anton? And get away with it?
    Also, I believe if someone has a name that is easy to pronounce, it will be beneficial in terms of career and job oppurtunities, as employers may prefer common-easy to pronounce names than foreign names.

    Antoine is a really common french name though, but not very common in Australia.

    He has no middle name. And he is half french (hence the name) half asian.
    Last edited by cyberdude; 15-07-2012 at 17:51.

  2. #2
    HugsBunny's Avatar
    HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think he would need to change it by deed poll - get him to contact Births, Deaths and Marriages in his state and talk to them about it. There may even be a form he can download from the website and just send it off.

    I wouldn't think it would be legal for him to just write 'Anton' as that isn't his legal name.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    he can use Anton as common usage like a nickname but for any legal forms he legal birth name (what is on his birth certificate) will have to be used.

    If he is wanting Anton to be used for legal usage such as passport, drivers license, show on a marriage certificate then he will have to formally change with BDM in the state he was born. This can be fairly expensive (QLD is now $150) and take a while to be processed.

    As PP stated check with BDM of his birth state for the process. Most have forms on the website to be printed and posted away.


Similar Threads

  1. Oh oh, cousin just used our name....
    By Stephv in forum Pregnancy & Birth General Chat
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-10-2012, 18:13
  2. 6yr old DS mean to his 5yr old cousin
    By SimplyMum in forum Discipline & behaviour
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 16-08-2012, 08:39
  3. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-02-2012, 07:22

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

learn how you can become a reviewer!


forum - chatting now
sales & new stuffsee all
Melbourne Natural Medicine Clinic
Specialist Naturopathy, Chiropractic & Massage Melbourne Natural Medicine Clinic
Leading natural health practitioners in fertility, preconception, pregnancy, and children's health. We take an integrative approach all health professionals and offer diagnostic testing and natural treatment options suitable for the whole family.
featured supporter
Hunter Women's Health Centre
Hunter Women’s Health Centre care for women of all ages, in the full spectrum of their gynaecologic and obstetric health.

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!