+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post

DS's SP charged $65 for a half hour. The first session was for an hour so it was $130.
    Mine was around this, OMFG those prices are the reason so many kids are not getting the help they need and why the public therapy waiting lists are so long. IF that is what they are charging I now know why many put it off the medicare cover is no where near enough to help with those IMO overpriced costs.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to fairyflossfairy For This Useful Post:

Ulysses  (16-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We paid $65 per 30 minute session, and it was somewhere between $150 - $200 for an assessment and report (which allowed, I think, an hour for the assessment and half an hour for report preparation, or thereabouts).

that's in Brisbane, at the sp's office.

We were able to claim some of that back through extras on PHI.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

Ulysses  (16-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My Mum is a private speech therapist who charges $55 for 30 mins and $250 for an initial assessment.
    I think that she is under-charging....she does heaps of prep work , reports , liasing with parents/teacfers/caseworkers , paperwork , making/organising resources etc for each client.
    Most therapist need to charge so much for the initial assessments because the testing thing they use is ridiculously expensive and you need to pay a truckload for all the forms (it can't be photocopied). And they're not just charging for the work they do during thye session..there is a lot of prep...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ScrambledPancakes For This Useful Post:

Ulysses  (16-07-2012)

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrambledPancakes View Post
    My Mum is a private speech therapist who charges $55 for 30 mins and $250 for an initial assessment.
    I think that she is under-charging....she does heaps of prep work , reports , liasing with parents/teacfers/caseworkers , paperwork , making/organising resources etc for each client.
    Most therapist need to charge so much for the initial assessments because the testing thing they use is ridiculously expensive and you need to pay a truckload for all the forms (it can't be photocopied). And they're not just charging for the work they do during thye session..there is a lot of prep...

Yep agreed, our speechy works her butt off for her "kids" sacrifices so much time from her own children, She desrves the pay she gets. Speechys are just wonderful. We wouldnt survive without ours

Tell your mum she is undercharging

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (16-07-2012),Ulysses  (16-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrambledPancakes View Post
    My Mum is a private speech therapist who charges $55 for 30 mins.
    Definitely under charging!! Show her this thread and let her know how much many of us value our ST's! I'm pretty sure ours has also turned into a counsellor for us too haha.

We pay $75 for a 30min session every fortnight. $40 is covered under our PHI for half the year, then we reach the limit. Doh!

We've just paid $440 for our yearly report (including the written report for our records). That's two hour long testing sessions over two weeks.

Pricey? Yes! Worth it? Definitely!!

SD has come *such* a long way in just the 2yrs she's been going. We are now at a stage where we are getting ready to drop down to monthly as SD has gone from severe difficulty in all her problem areas to mild difficulty/average and was even slightly above average in one section! Yay!

Our ST constantly liaises/nags the school to ensure she's doing similar units with SD's classroom and liaises with our psych on a monthly basis. She's fantastic!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ElleB For This Useful Post:

Ulysses  (16-07-2012)