+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default UTI in toddlers

How do you know your toddler has a UTI?

DS developed a fever on Friday afternoon. He's prone to tonsillitis, so I assume that's what it was as his breath was smelly like it gets.

But he's still hot and miserable today and his breath is fine. Google says possibly UTI for unexplained fevers.

He has no spots if it was HFM, and hasn't been around sick kids except a friends toddler with an ear infection (which I don't think is contagious), and he's not pulling at his ears.

But his wee doesn't smell more than usual. He's been drinking more though and when the drugs wear off he's sitting just under 40 degrees.

He's asleep right now but I'm thinking I might take him to the hospital when he wakes up, but don't want to sit there for hours if I'm over reacting. But if it's a possible UTI, the quicker we get treatment, the better. Right?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Forgot to say that DD had her 4 month needles on Thurs. Is it possible he picked something up from her from the live infections?? He's vaxxed too, but I realise they aren't 100% effective so could he??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You could try to get an appt with an after hours gp clinic? Do you have one near you?
    its awful when they're sick and we don't know what's wrong

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MamaC For This Useful Post:

Californication  (15-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We don't MamaC. Small country town so nothing like that here unfortunately.

I never thought of UTI until I Googled, and if that's a possibility, just don't want it to go to the kidneys if I leave it until tomorrow. But what if it's not! We could sit there for a while for nothing.

I think I will ring before info and see what the wait is and take it from there. Hopefully no one got hurt at weekend sport and we can get right in!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Can you ring 13 Health? They might be able to give you an idea.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    We don't MamaC. Small country town so nothing like that here unfortunately.

I never thought of UTI until I Googled, and if that's a possibility, just don't want it to go to the kidneys if I leave it until tomorrow. But what if it's not! We could sit there for a while for nothing.

I think I will ring before info and see what the wait is and take it from there. Hopefully no one got hurt at weekend sport and we can get right in!
    I'm not sure what your hospital is like but I recently had to take DS to emergency due to 41 degree temp and they took us through straight away (ended up being severe tonsillitis which the gp I took him to earlier that day didn't pick up, just said he had virus and to give panadol). They said with high fevers they don't like to make you wait.

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    there is a really bad flu going around at the moment if concerned i would gt him checked out incase he needs tamiflu

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The only way he could have picked something up from her vaccines is if he played in her poo..otherwise he will be fine. I would head up to the hospital if he has been sick for a while, but Sunday nights are a really sh!tty time to go..all of those people who have been putting things off all weekend are bounding up there now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone. I took him and I don't want to go into more detail on the open forum (too identifiable), but I'm happy for people to PM me.
    Last edited by Californication; 16-07-2012 at 17:41.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DS 15 months old had an UTI a while ago. It started out to be a fever (I didnt noticed any other signs at first). He still drinking heaps and was eating normal, but he was winging more and especially at night, he would cry for few seconds for no reason several times a night during his sleep and I couldnt figure out why. Then the fever came and the temp raised very quickly, around 39 degrees and panadol only keeps it down for few hours and the fever would come back up again. I had to use nurofen and panadol to keep the fever down. Took him to see the doctors 3 days in a roll and they keep on saying its viral. He wasnt drinking water, not eating much and his diaper smelled strong (like the kind of smell you get when you dont drink water) But they fact that the fever kept on coming back up and lasted more than 3 days worries me, so I asked to have urine test done. And he had UTI. They gave him some antibiotics and after 1 dose his fever stopped coming back up!
    If it is UTI it is better to be treated early, because they are so young and sometimes it could damage their bladder and liver. My son has to get an ultrasound afterwards to make sure nothing was damaged.

Hope your son is feeling better