+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Exclamation Prednisone side effects...

Hi all.
    My FS has decided that he is going to treat me for NK cells for my next round of IVF. This being due to the fact that both fresh IVF cycles have resulted in m/c (you can see all my stats in my signature)

To treat this he is going to put me on 10mg of prednisone on cd1, then after egg collection up it 20mg.

So of course I have been googling prednisone side effects and am now petrified of the stuff. The weight gain and insomnia is what really concerns me. Not becoming over weight is something that is really important to me as vain as that is.

Can anyone share their prednisone side effects with me if you have been on a similar protocol to this?
    Is this a high dosage to be on???
    Also what happens if I get a BFP...do I continue the 20mg all through pregnancy or when do I get to stop it?

Thank you in advance...baby dust and hugs

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi dandelion
    Have not used prednisone for IVF reasons but need it regularly for my asthma so thought i could maybe reassure you a little. I have been on it on and off for approx 5 yrs and I'm usually on a 50mg daily dose with no worries or side effects. I too was worried but for me there is no option but to take it (matter of breathing/living) so thought id deal with it later; but have been perfect.
    I can tell when I'm on/off it within an hour of taking it and I take my full dose each morning as I know when I take it at night I struggle to sleep but that's my biggest problem.
    I personally wouldn't stress over it...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TamsFam For This Useful Post:

dandelion  (15-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey Tams
    Thank you for the reassurance! Do you get food cravings or anything like that?
    I have just read so many horror stories about it on the internet....one woman stating she gained 10kgs in two weeks upon starting it
    Google is my worst enemy lol
    I know if I get my BFP then this will all be worth it but I will be so upset if I put my body through hell just for another m/c or bfn.
    sigh!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi April!
    Im glad to hear that you havent experienced any weight gain either. Maybe people taking pred for IVF don't experience it as much as those taking it for auto immune disease (wishful thinking?)
    I'm going to write down restivate for future preference just in case I need it, very good to know it doesnt hurt bubs if I do get pregnant

I bet I will get pimples too, when I was on DHEA which is also a steroid I broke horribly after about 3 months of taking it.
    Honestly I will deal with whatever side effect but I cant handle weight gain....so stupid I know....I think my paranoia about it links back to when I was younger and had an eating disorder.
    Hopefully my healthy eating will be enough to keep the kgs away.

Glad to hear your cough is gone! That is awesome.
    So do you continue taking the pred even if you are not cycling? I thought if I got a BFN I would stop until I started another cycle. Do you know what happens if you get a BFP, do you keep taking it?

Good luck for your cycle in August! I should be cycling around that time too xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope, no weight gain and no moodiness for me
    Just my opinion but i think everyone reacts to things differently (and google can be your worst enemy)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TamsFam For This Useful Post:

dandelion  (15-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sorry to crash the IVF section, I am not an IVF'er.

Just to let you know, 10mg is a very small dose, and 20mg is still small. At that dose, hopefully you won't get too much weight gain, but every person's reaction to it will be different.

Good luck and baby dust

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks 4underfour

I am starting to stress less now, haven't read any horror stories on here yet!

Sent from my HTC One X using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi there,

I noticed that if I didn't take them first thing in the am that I'd have a hard time getting to sleep at night but weight gain, meh! Didn't get that side effect thank god!!

Don't let it stress you out! Good luck!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey Jesse, glad to hear no weight gain for u how are you going in your cycle? I really hope the pred does the trick for those of us who are on it...

April which thread are u on? I might come have a peek if that's ok

Sent from my HTC One X using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey dande

I've had a little weight gain, but i'm also on DHEA which can cause that too, AND i haven't really been watching what i eat - i eat healthy breakfast, lunch and dinner, but can't help myself with cake, biccies, etc. I've started a detox today (not anything serious, but cutting out gluten, dairy and sugar - did it 2 years ago and it was great), so that will hopefully temper any weight gain.

I'm only on 1 tablet a day, but that will increase to 2 per day when i start my next cycle.