+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I think you will do fine especially if you have $600 left over.
    DF is the only one working atm and I'm expecting so he gets $700/week. Our rent is $360. So $340 is left for fuel for 2cars, bills and groceries a week. It's hard but we are doing it.
    So I think $600 after rent for yourself and your child you should do fine.
    I've got it set up so that our bills are slowly paid via automatic transfers every week so that it's easier to keep up and we don't over spend.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    $600 per week plus $800 a month sounds like a decent amount but i think you need to write down all your expenses. If childcare cost is expensive and you want to eat out then it will be very tight.

Sent from my U20i using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MsOptimistic View Post
    I pay $330 pw in rent plus $200 pw for my car loan on an income of $65k before tax so I think you would be fine. Here that would be a luxury rental though, and a bit excessive. Where you are it might be the norm.
    Yes $600 is about the norm for a 2bedroom place where I live, and anywhere within a 10km radius. For $300, I'd only be able to get a studio or a very average 1 bedroom. 'Luxury' apartments, or a modern townhouse or a semi or free standing house would set me back $800+

Quote Originally Posted by bebehvala View Post
    You can do it, and I believe it's def worth trying for the sake of your little one. Stability is important for him now as you've already identified.

You could always look to move if you found it difficult down the track.

All the very best with such a massive change.
    Yes this is true too, we are no longer in a rental contract so to speak, we are paying month by month so I can give notice and leave without penalty fairly quickly if I realise it's not going to happen financially

Quote Originally Posted by grooviechic35 View Post
    Would you get rent assistance from centerlink??? But I think it's do able if your good with finances and budget spending
    I will get only $40/fortnight in rent assistance due to my income and DP's child support, so not much really (but still, every little bit counts I know).
    I'm also not entitled to any parenting payment, I will get some FTB but I'm going to try not factor FTB in my budget so that I can use it as savings or emergency money

Quote Originally Posted by lovesushi View Post
    $600 per week plus $800 a month sounds like a decent amount but i think you need to write down all your expenses. If childcare cost is expensive and you want to eat out then it will be very tight.
    Childcare is $250 a week after CCB, but before CCR, so about $125 which is not too bad

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    So when you take out $250 for childcare out of your weekly $600 that leaves you with $350 & you get half of that back either as a quarterly lump sum or paid direct to centre; there's no reason why you can't live off $350 a week. You need a bit of a budget going to put aside a bit for things like the electricity bill- not sure what you spend but $25 a week more than covers it in our house. $100 in groceries more than covers it in our house; assuming that toilet training's happening and you're not going through as many nappies etc. It might mean that the spontaneous meals out etc don't happen as frequently but its certainly not looking too bad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    $600 a week in rent does soud crazy to me, but not relative to your income. $650-$700 per week for two people plus the extra $200 per week you'll get in CS is a great amount after rent.

DF and I pay $330 per week in rent out of our $700 per week income. That's 47% of our income on rent and very little left over. We make it work quite well though because we don't smoke or drink an don't update our clothes every season. We manage to live a lifestyle we deem relatively comfortable (though not luxurious.)

It can be done!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oops, just realised this was in the single parents forum. Sorry!